Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carcass

New World Record [questions about how to attempt]

Hi, I want to break Andrey Budko's record for fastest tool assisted speedrun of Doom II. I did a speedrun of Doom II in 21:42:14 on I'm Too Young To Die in Doomsday with jumping and mouselook, but I don't have it recorded and I didn't stop the timer in between levels. Now I want to do this for real but I need the help of experts and I want to use every trick in the book.

1: What is "slow motion" and how do I enable it?
2: How do I set Doom to permanent strafe50?
3: Can the speedrun be done on I'm Too Young To Die or does it absolutely have to be on UV? Will it even be considered if it is on I'm Too Young To Die?
4: Will jumping and mouselook compromise the credibility of my speedrun?
5: I have no experience with .lmps or with programming in Doom. How do I record my .lmp? Can I use Doomsday to record my .lmp? Will it play .lmps? (I use the ministart instead of the frontend)
6: Can I use some kind of screen recording program to record my speedrun instead of using .lmps?
7: How do I use save states? If I save/load during a speedrun, will it screw up the .lmp?
8: What are some of the tricks and glitches I can use to improve my speedrun?
9: In Doomsday, the game will stop for about 2 seconds every once in a while. Also, sometimes I go so fast that I when I run into an enemy we coalesce to eachother and I can't move. How do I fix these problems? Will I have to use another port? (Keep in mind I want to use mouselook/jumping)
10: Does anybody care anymore? All of the links for speedran .lmps I found are broken and the last news entry for Compet-N was in 2005.

Thanks

1 - Use prboom-plus
2 - Use prboom-plus
3 - UV if you want to beat Budko
4 - No ;O
5 - prboom-plus is also recommended and made for that...
6 - with a port which can make a lmp, it's not necessary, but you can when watching for to show it in youtube :D
7 - I don't know how it work, but with prboom and prboom-plus, it's possible to use saves...
8 - Watch some Compet-N demos :D
9 - Read answers 1 and 2 :P
10 - http://competn.doom2.net/pub/compet-n/

Carcass said:
3: Can the speedrun be done on I'm Too Young To Die or does it absolutely have to be on UV? Will it even be considered if it is on I'm Too Young To Die?

You can, but then it's comparable to other runs in that difficulty and not runs in other difficulties (eg, UV).

4: Will jumping and mouselook compromise the credibility of my speedrun?

The game was designed without these in mind, but if you want to make a run using them, it's the same as above; there's nothing wrong with such a run per se, but it's not comparable to runs not using these features.

5: I have no experience with .lmps or with programming in Doom. How do I record my .lmp? Can I use Doomsday to record my .lmp? Will it play .lmps? (I use the ministart instead of the frontend)

I've never used Doomsday to record but I've heard it has its own demo format. I'm guessing it's more like the more modern demos (eg, Quake) that record more information (Doom's "demo" lumps just record player movements).

10: Does anybody care anymore? All of the links for speedran .lmps I found are broken and the last news entry for Compet-N was in 2005.

This forum section at Doomworld is evidence that people do care, as there are always new demo submissions here.

If you really want to make a speedrun in skill 1 with mlook and jump you can always try with ZDoom, the demo recording is maybe easiest than with Doomsday.

Thanks for the help guys. As it turns out, you can slow down the game speed and I guess play the .lmp at regular speed. Smart! I have a couple more questions regarding PrBoom now. Although these options don't seem to be present, I need a crossair, I need to disable auto-aim, and I need to jump.

And how exactly do I record .lmps with PrBoom? Sorry to be a total noob but I'm new to these new ports of Doom.

And finally, please take a look at this picture and tell me what's wrong with my graphics:

Carcass said:

And finally, please take a look at this picture and tell me what's wrong with my graphics:

Which OS do you use? MacOS? Try prboom-plus 2.4.6.1. I have few bug-reports with such glitches on some old hardware with 2.4.8.x versions

Carcass said:

I did a speedrun of Doom II in 21:42:14 on I'm Too Young To Die in Doomsday with jumping and mouselook

21 hours 42 minutes 14 seconds? :)

entryway said:

Which OS do you use? MacOS? Try prboom-plus 2.4.6.1. I have few bug-reports with such glitches on some old hardware with 2.4.8.x versions

MacOSX. Looking through the "Compatibility Level" in the PrBoom Launcher, I don't see 2.4.6.1

entryway said:

21 hours 42 minutes 14 seconds? :)

Hah, you wish. 21 minutes 42 seconds 14 miliseconds. I used the stopwatch on my cell phone and I didn't stop the timer in between levels so I was smashing the space bar trying to skip the scores. I also didn't realize you could alter the game's speed so I was running into enemies all over and getting stuck because I couldn't dodge them fast enough. But now that I'm aware of .lmps and all of these little secrets and I'm ready to break a record.

Carcass said:

MacOSX. Looking through the "Compatibility Level" in the PrBoom Launcher, I don't see 2.4.6.1

What do you use? PrBoom or PrBoom-Plus?

PrBoom-Plus 2.4.6.1

Carcass said:

Hah, you wish. 21 minutes 42 seconds 14 miliseconds.

Holy cow!

myk said:

I've never used Doomsday to record but I've heard it has its own demo format. I'm guessing it's more like the more modern demos (eg, Quake) that record more information (Doom's "demo" lumps just record player movements).

Yeah, DoomsDay has cool format. My old heretic demos work even with the latest betas.

entryway said:

What do you use? PrBoom or PrBoom-Plus?

That's the one I downloaded, PrBoom+. And I made a mistake. It's actually 22 minutes 15 seconds 42 miliseconds, that's including the time in between each level.

Carcass said:

That's the one I downloaded, PrBoom+. And I made a mistake. It's actually 22 minutes 15 seconds 42 miliseconds, that's including the time in between each level.

Do you have the same graphics problem with 2461?

entryway said:

Do you have the same graphics problem with 2461?

I don't think I have it. Under "Compatibility Level" I have: default, Doom v1.2, Doom v1.666, Doom v1.9/Doom II, Ultimate Doom, Final Doom, Dos Doom, TAS Doom, Boom Compatibillity, Boom v2.01, MBF, PrBoom v2.03 Beta, PrBoom v2.1.0, PrBoom v2.1.2, PrBoom v2.3.x, PrBoom v2.4.0, and PrBoom Current.

I still don't know how to record .lmps though.

Carcass said:

Hi, I want to break Andrey Budko's record for fastest tool assisted speedrun of Doom II.
<...>
1: What is "slow motion" and how do I enable it?
2: How do I set Doom to permanent strafe50?
5: I have no experience with .lmps or with programming in Doom.
<...>

That's like walking into a Hollywood studio and saying
"Hey, I have an idea for this new kung fu movie that is going to be cooler than Enter The Dragon and The Matrix and I'll be starring in it too. I don't know much about acting or martial arts, but I'm open to any ideas and suggestions you may have".

I suggest you not waste yours and others' time.

Carcass said:

I don't think I have it.

PrBoom-Plus 2.4.6.1

Carcass said:

I still don't know how to record .lmps though.

In Windows you can use command line:
glboom-plus.exe -warp 1 -skill 4 -record mydemo.lmp

I do not know how to use command line on MacOS. Never saw it.

Never_Again said:

That's like walking into a Hollywood studio and saying
"Hey, I have an idea for this new kung fu movie that is going to be cooler than Enter The Dragon and The Matrix and I'll be starring in it too. I don't know much about acting or martial arts, but I'm open to any ideas and suggestions you may have".

I suggest you not waste yours and others' time.

Ok sure the speed tricks are neat, should I do it as it is? In real-time?

With a TAS run, it's not really hard to make a 30UV w/o mlook and jump...
The only thing wich would be harder is to beat Budko's time.

Ok here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to do an I'm Too Young To Die speedrun with mouselook, jump, autoaim is off, and I'm going to meet or break my off-the-record time of 22:15. No permanent strafe50 and no slowmotion. No speed tools or special effects. Mouselook doesn't really make it faster, it's just a preference. In fact, by slightly moving the mouse while strafing it could cancel stafe50 because it only works if you're strafing in a perfectly straight line, right? But I need to video record it because I don't understand how .lmp's work.

Now all I have to do is find out how to record it.

I actually want to record it in Doomsday because I want to jump, and the graphics are screwed up in PrBoom (scroll up, I posted a picture).

I found this: http://forums.newdoom.com/archive/index.php/t-25600.html
Which tells you how to record demos in Doomsday. Unfortunately, there is no .cfg for the Mac version. Is there anyway to fix this? Or else I'll just have to do it on a friend's computer.

So maybe :

K!r4 said:

If you really want to make a speedrun in skill 1 with mlook and jump you can always try with ZDoom, the demo recording is maybe easiest than with Doomsday.

Zdoom allow jump and mlook.

I don't know how to record on Doomsday, try to tape 'record nameofdemo' in your console command, maybe it work...
/me think about Quake

Ok I found out how to open the jdoom.cfg file and I added this to it:

bind +c "recorddemo 1"
bind +p "pausedemo"
bind +s "stopdemo"
bind +l "playdemo 1"

I can now record demos but they are not working. They seem to only record the first couple of seconds, I can't see/hear my weapon firing, and it spins around whenever I turn slightly.

This is the link to me screwing around, can anybody watch it or something?

http://www.2shared.com/file/2885127/fa1a8a86/speedrun.html