Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spiderdemon6669

Which Quake 1 Console Port Is Better?

Which Quake 1 Console Port is Better???  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which Quake 1 Console Port is Better???

• Quake for N64
    • Quake for Sega Saturn

The Quake on the Saturn didn't even use the Quake engine. Instead, it used the same one as Powerslave (SlaveDriver, which was not used on the PC version of that game). I never had the chance to play it, but I would have liked to just to experience the different feel. I think that the levels were supposed to have been the same, though.

Video comparison, thanks to elbryan42:

Quake Saturn - E1M1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er_kTDqdVJY

Quake N64 - E1M1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bceOW8GRZmI

As for my opinion; if I never played the PC version, I'd like the N64 version better, but given that I have, I'm preferable to the Saturn version, as it replicates the PC versions levels better than the N64 one does. Gotta love the N64's Aubrey Hodges soundtrack, though.

Nuxius said:

As for my opinion; if I never played the PC version, I'd like the N64 version better, but given that I have, I'm preferable to the Saturn version, as it replicates the PC versions levels better than the N64 one does. Gotta love the N64's Aubrey Hodges soundtrack, though.

The monster behavior seems completely wrong in the Saturn version, though.

Nuxius said:

How do you figure that? Since the map for the N64 is almost exactly the same as in the PC version.(apart from some hardware rendering additions such as colored light and bilinear texture filtering) While there's a number of differences to it in the Saturn version.

kristus said:

Since the map for the N64 is almost exactly the same as in the PC version.

They're not the same.

Enjoy your missing secrets and leveled areas. E1M1 is painfully obviously different, for starters.

The only thing that sucked about the N64 versions of Quake 1/2 is that the corpses of the enemies/monsters disappeared in thin air leaving the level completely empty rather than filled with bodies while leaving some of sort of a accomplishment and it's even a strategic feature indicating where your supposed to go and if your already been into that room/hallway/etc rather than wondering around the level feeling lost in some of the more larger/confusing levels. Did this had to do with N64's limitations or is just a Turok/Goldeneye 64 fad at the time?.

leileilol said:
They're not the same.

Enjoy your missing secrets and leveled areas. E1M1 is painfully obviously different, for starters.

Seriously? I haven't seen all of the N64 levels, but on the point of E1M1, how is it so amazingly different? Both versions are missing one of the secrets, though the N64 version is missing some of the architecture under the bridge leading to the nailgun and the lighting is a little off, but otherwise it's spot on. I mean, it's a lot closer than the Saturn version of that level, at least.

That said, though, if all of the levels in the Saturn version take the degree of liberty, or more, than they did with E1M1, it might be fun to play. It's interresting to see a slightly different take on the same old levels.

Nightmare Doom said:

The only thing that sucked about the N64 versions of Quake 1/2 is that the corpses of the enemies/monsters disappeared in thin air leaving the level completely empty rather than filled with bodies while leaving some of sort of a accomplishment and it's even a strategic feature indicating where your supposed to go and if your already been into that room/hallway/etc rather than wondering around the level feeling lost in some of the more larger/confusing levels. Did this had to do with N64's limitations or is just a Turok/Goldeneye 64 fad at the time?.

N64's limitations, most likely.

spank said:

Quake N64 has horribly low-res textures.

A LOT of N64 games were like that, because of memory constraints. They'd use really tiny textures, and then stretch them out to like 5x their original size and apply filtering to them. I can't think of a whole lot of games that DIDN'T do that off the top of my head. Doom64 comes to mind; that game used 64x64 textures and often just rotated/flipped them when bigger textures were needed (door textures and such).

Also, Quake64 has colored lighting.

edit: So does the Saturn version apparently (though more subtle). Sucks either way.

I notice that (as well as a bunch of other differences) the Saturn version just has straight, vertical door edges rather than those fancy notched ones. Presumably an engine limitation?

I own Saturn version. It's very fun, it has new secret levels, and a secret mini-'movie' called Dank and Skuz with a special appearance by the Doomguy. The engine is better in a few ways than the original Quake engine. The slavedriver engine was also used in the port of Duke3d on Saturn. They run very well on that system.

exp(x) said:

The monster behavior seems completely wrong in the Saturn version, though.

Hah yeah a little, one big bug is if a Fiend touches water, he vanishes into thin air! Or is it dies instantly? One of the two.

AgentSpork said:

A LOT of N64 games were like that, because of memory constraints. They'd use really tiny textures, and then stretch them out to like 5x their original size and apply filtering to them. I can't think of a whole lot of games that DIDN'T do that off the top of my head. Doom64 comes to mind; that game used 64x64 textures and often just rotated/flipped them when bigger textures were needed (door textures and such).

Ah, Vaseline Vision. Invented and brought to you by the N64. I can only remember a handful of games that didn't have this problem, and it was mostly through creative texture use.

Enjay said:

I notice that (as well as a bunch of other differences) the Saturn version just has straight, vertical door edges rather than those fancy notched ones. Presumably an engine limitation?

Yeah. Quake for the Saturn couldn't move 3D floors sideways, so doors are similar to polyobjects. That's why the bridge drops from the top instead of coming in from the side as well. To be honest think of it as making a level for GZDoom. The SlaveDriver engine had a lot of the same limitations.