Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

The darkened fate of Karthik

Well not quite, but Karthik has nevertheless released a new level which is called Dark Fate 2. It is small hellish map which started its life as a speedmapping level. In his own words:

However I picked it up in early 2008 and worked on it over a couple of weekends, and made it look nice. Due to lack of a better title, I named it Dark Fate 2.

Enough ramblings, go here to check out the rest!

I have a higher resolution (640 × 360) MPEG file of this, but that's 140 MB in size. Any suggestions on how to make it available are welcome.

BitTorrent?

The original Dark Fate was a good map, so hopefully this will be nice. I also liked the commentary video he posted on YouTube.

I have a higher resolution (640 × 360) MPEG file of this, but that's 140 MB in size. Any suggestions on how to make it available are welcome.

Use a better method of compression.

exp(x) said:

Speaking of which, what happened to your tracker?

There was a vulnerability in the tracker software, and some clown apparently googled for vulnerable trackers as soon as it was announced and wiped them clean. :P I pondered setting it up again, but I was less than happy with the way the project handled the disclosure, as well as the tracker's code quality and lack of basic precautions (for example, you just don't interpolate things into SQL statements, ever - you use placeholders and then bind parameters to those), so I would've had to look for a new tracker, and most of them unfortunately seem to require some sort of shell access (e.g. to compile C++ programs), which my hosting package doesn't include.

So given that, and given that there doesn't seem to be any need for it right now, I haven't brought it back yet, although I certainly could if someone wanted me to.

Nice level, high quality as always. The commentary was a nice idea, although it explained a lot of obvious stuff.

boris said:

The commentary was a nice idea, although it explained a lot of obvious stuff.

Karthik said:

It's a ten minute video, more intended for non-Doomers, but others may be interested in watching it too.

So yeah, a lot of what he says is going to be obvious to us. ;)

Anyway, a nice small sized map there Karthik, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the commentary too, although the part with the Cyberdemon made me LOL.

Thanks everyone! Glad you guys liked the map.

Regarding the video, I did think of putting up a torrent of it (heh heh, a DVDRip!). Though, I think my upload speed (256 kbps) would be a limiting factor initially, until someone else starts seeding.

As Boris pointed out, yes, there is obvious stuff pointed out in the video... Like, "Here's the exit", to which you might reply, "Oh, so that explains why there's a BRIGHT EXIT SIGN there!!". But it was either that, or have practically no talk throughout (and that would be better accomplished by recording a demo!). This is a map that didn't really require much commentary.

Anyway I will try doing more of this video stuff in future. I'm sure I can come up with more interesting things to record and talk about.

Yes, the level is too short for a commentary like that. However, it'd be nice to see such a commentary video of a bigger levels, where design decisions are explained.