Find results in...
jval

Imagine Doom like this

Forget about classic maps limitations.
Forget about linedefs and sidedefs.
Forget about simple sloped sectors.

Imagine Doom like this:

A vast terrain to investigate.
Classic map authoring will be limited just to buildings.
Open areas with unlimited detail.

I don't know.

As much as I would really love to see doom with more authentic environments and drastically changed gameplay, there is a point where you really have to stop and ask "why am I doing this for doom and not some newer game with a more flexible engine?"

I don't mean to rain on your parade, the technology is astounding! but I just don't see many people here using it.

Are you proposing a source port that can render digital elevation maps?
Nice pictures - I hope Doomguy knows how to swim. :-)

First of all the images are "Photoshop-ed". I don't present a new Doom engine.

Let's imagine in "level 1: entryway" when you find the secret area where the shotgun is hidden and the imps are couching. It's an open area with water. Could be revolutionary to go out in an true 3D terrain (yes, heightmaps are used to render the area you see in the images). Instead of going out in the limited and flat area, go out in a true 3D enviroment. Walk until next sector-based building.

GreyGhost said:

I hope Doomguy knows how to swim. :-)

He does ! At least with (G)Zdoom, Risen3D and VaVoom anyway.

Those pics make me think of FarCry-Doom. ;)

GreyGhost said:

I hope Doomguy knows how to swim. :-)

The backpack will include a life jacket also :) :)

Ehh, I'd really just like to leave DOOM the way it is. Then again, I'm sort of an old-school DOOMer -- I refuse to play any source ports (and I only grudgingly play DOOM 95).

I love the open outdoor areas of Serious Sam, which is the closest kind of gameplay I've seen to Doom, so yeah, I'd give it a try.

You'd have to use hi res graphics for the status bar and the weapons (models, even), obviously. At that point, it'd be easier to create a "Doom mod" based on another game, like DOOM 3, Half-life 2, or any other newer FPS or massive multi-player game, where similar technology is already available.

Some people would care more, and some wouldn't give a flying fuck about it.

I was gonna blow all whistles and sound all bells, until I thought further.

Too much visual detail. That's it.

a doom like that would suck

grubber did do a slope terrain generator for zdoom, check that out to see how bad terrain would work in doom

geekmarine said:
In all my experience, he just walks on water.

Just like the Savior!

geekmarine said:

Doomguy doesn't need to know how to swim. In all my experience, he just walks on water.

ZOMG DOOMGUY IS JESUS!

Edit: back on topic though, why not make this for Doom 3 or Half-Life 2? this is not something for doom. this is distinctly un-doomish

Doomish or un-Doomish, realistically rendered outdoor areas with Classic Doom buildings would go together about as smoothly as a Fark.com Photoshop job.

There was a game called Z.A.R. that was kind of like that as I recall, but I only ever had the demo. The worlds weren't actually that large though but I forget what happened when you went out of bounds, you either looped around or it went into flat space.

leileilol said:

grubber did do a slope terrain generator for zdoom, check that out to see how bad terrain would work in doom

zTerrain creates a set of zDoom sector based slopes reading a heightmap, nice tool but IMO the disadvantage is the creation of a large amount of sectors from just a small heightmap. Also BSP is not the best algorythm for rendering outdoor large-scaled terrains, there are other algorythms (SOAR, ROAM, octrees etc) that have better performance.

jval said:

I love how the Doomguys out in this beautiful, expansive terrain, and his expression is just the same old raised-eyebrow. ^_^

Captain Red said:

I don't know.

As much as I would really love to see doom with more authentic environments and drastically changed gameplay, there is a point where you really have to stop and ask "why am I doing this for doom and not some newer game with a more flexible engine?"

I don't mean to rain on your parade, the technology is astounding! but I just don't see many people here using it.

This is pretty much exactly why I play less doom these days. If I want quake-like levels, I would rather play quake than a hack for doom. Again, cool hacks are cool for bragging rights, but I prefer to stick with the more oldschool doom levels (especially anything e1 themed). Give us more insane monster counts, abstract level design, and weird texture combos.

I still play doom for things like momento mori, dwango5, etc. Nothing else does unrealistic levels like doom does :)

As much as the graphics of the level area has changed, having Doom like that would make things to pansy like, it were nice enough for it to be Hell themed, then ok, but a sunny area.. You got to be on something.

Mithral_Demon said:

but a sunny area.. You got to be on something.

Is this more to your liking? A little VistaPro render I stumbled upon.

Instead of the same old raised-eyebrow I prefer the Doom-guy with sunglasses :)

TheAdmantArchvile said:

And the Rad suit can have a scuba pack attached to it

That would probably result to all the zombie and demon enemies wearing scuba gear as well, if the levels are underwater