Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel17

DOOM wishes come true?

So, I was playing illusory.wad, episode 3, and I was desperately low on health (12%) and I had only a non-berserked fist. I was done for sure, and I found myself thinking, "I wish I had a berserk pack". Lo and behold, I stumbled across a secret area and found a berserk pack. I literally exclaimed, "YES!", and my family thought I was insane :P

So, what about you guys? Any "wishes come true"?

Every time I get to play a hectic, ammo tight map which requires lots of fast maneuvering, infighting and/or melee to beat is a wish come true. Partially because such maps tend to be more spontaneous rather than systematic to play which makes it so much more interesting. Not to mention that then almost every item pick up really feels like a wish come true because you are often low on at least either life or ammo, often both.

Too bad such maps are pretty rare though.

Every time I wish a revenant would telegraph me a rocket to the teeth I'm promptly obliged.

Pretty sure I said to myself a few time when I had like no health, "Jeeze I wish I got a megasphere..", and a few seconds later found a room with one just sitting there. Sadly I can't recall the maps...

Inferno said:

Pretty sure I said to myself a few time when I had like no health, "Jeeze I wish I got a megasphere..", and a few seconds later found a room with one just sitting there.

Then it's like "Oh but I'd better find a few medikits first so I'm not using this sphere inefficiently. Dum de dum. Oh now a zombieman killed me."

I wished for a new computer while playing santa.wad and I got one - a few days after my old computer died. :-)

Back in 2002 i was playing a Zdoom map and saw a key/powerup/weapon bigger than the chaingun and thought "I wish 20 revenants wouldnt appear when i pick this up JUST FOR ONCE". Never came true though.

one time (in a map i forgot) i was being chased by some pinkys and revenants and only had my fist and i sead "What next? a cyberdemon? i hope i find some ammo soon" i turn around and find BFG....behind a cyberdemon....*boom* *splat* X_X then "fuck i needed to wish for ammo BEFORE the cyberdemon"

Lots of genuinely funny moments here... I laughed hard reading the one about the cyberdemon and the ammo.

And TWENTY revenants on a single level... I dont think anyone would ever dare design a level that had twenty revenants on it... thats just crazy :P

For me, everytime I load up a new wad that I have never played b4, i really hope to complete it first time without dying. Its sort of a challenge I set myself. So I play really carefully, conserving health and ammo, using lots of cover, not doing anything stupid..... and then usually something terrible will happen such as a mancubus will teleport in behind me and blast my (now on fire) ass through the nearest perfectly aligned tekwall, or I will have been playing a wad doing really well for 45 minutes, surviving everything that it can throw at me, until near the end i fall into a lava pit that I cant get out of.

So what do i wish for? To complete more wads without this sort of thing happening.....

"Hehe... do your worst you mangy level designer... I will SOON defeat your pathetic wad without dying. I am inVEENcible. Oh look. There's three imps. Boom Boom Boom. Hahahahaha. And there is some former humans lurking in the shadows. Boom. Badda Bing. All dead. Hooray for me. And behind the red key door is a mass of chaingunners. BWEEEEEEERP goes my BFG (or something like that)No need to rush, hellspawn.. theres enough hurt here for everyone..

BAM... whoah.. What the hell was that??? my screen is all red.. uh oh... 10% health... where did those arch viles come from.... they werent there a second ago.. mancubus, barons, teleporting in everywhere.... if I can just make it to that health over there.....
Running... Running... yes.....Made it.... Biiiiffffffff..... Smack...... (Insert sound of Baron Scratching Melee Attack here)...

Long Silence

F%*^&*&%$*&)(*)((*^^&*$#@%*&^* dead again

Time to go back to designing levels, so that this sort of thing happens to other people..... lol

Kyka said:

And TWENTY revenants on a single level... I dont think anyone would ever dare design a level that had twenty revenants on it... thats just crazy :P

Never play AV map29 :P
It's even more than twenty in one room I believe... great classical map btw.

Hey K!r4..... I was being sarcastic about the revenants.... I have played through AV... as obviously have you ... map 29 was just awesome..... :)

I was playing AV map 20 using aeod. I had played all the maps through up to that point, so I had plenty of weapons and ammo, but just for laughs, I decided on a pistol start. Things were going smoothly and I was collecting a few nifty weapons. When I came to the room where the revenants first appear on that map, I hit the switch and said to myself, "Please don't be a necromancer wasp. Please don't be a necromancer wasp." Now, these things are red wasps carrying around an orb of some kind. They're fast, fly, have quite a bit of health, and hurt a whole lot, especially in closed spaces. You will quickly come to recognize their alert sounds because you'll know you will have a really rough time ahead of you. Anyway, as it turned out, there wasn't one of those things.

There were two.

Guess what happened next.

I was Playing AEoD some time ago. In E4M2, I wished that I would find a monster so funny, that I would shit my pants when I saw it. Sure enough, where the cyberdemon was, I had found Paula of earthbound lore. I had gotten my wish.

More of my wishing occurs when I'm mapping. You know when you suffer from mapper's block? You're staring at an empty grid or a map going nowhere and it feels quite hopeless. You get bored so you find something else to do. Suddenly you get hit with that thunderbolt of inspiration. You map like crazy and suddenly realize it's 3:30am and you started @ 8:00pm. Those are good times.

What Potgeisser said.

<-- Will conquer the world one perfectly aligned texture at a time...!!!!

There better be a Teleport ambush as soon as I pick up this key, Yes!

All those DSSLOP sounds better be coming from an Arch Vile nearby, Yes!

I hope there aren't any Medikits in this giant courtyard with chaingunners in those windows, Yes!

This room better be really small to fight these Hell Barons in, Yes!

This dark room better have spectres in it, Yes!

This brown water better deal 10% damage, Yes!

This better not be the exit switch, Yes!

Yeah,I don't know if it counts but I was on my way to Louisville playing doom on the GBA and I was on the tower of babel lvl.And if my memory serves me correctly I was down to like 20% health,0 armor,0 ammo.So I panicked and ran across a bezerker pack and proceeded to carefully beat the living shit out of the remaining demons,and one Baron of Hell.
Yeah...something to tell the grandkids."I punched and chainsawed my way through a legion of demons!"

I often wish I could have the same feeling playing doom now as I got when I first played PSX Doom back in 1997.

I've come close a few times.

This is probably just the opposite of wishes coming true. I was playing a map in I believe Rebirth. It had an especially low amount of ammo, and I thought to myself "If I keep getting ammo at this rate, I should be OK if I don't see hardly any Hell Barons..."

Sure enough, the next switch I pressed released 6 Hell Barons and 4 Hell Knights. =/

Megaz said:

Doom hates me. It's never done anything good for me.

I have to agree...I remember the "Pistol Only" map on eternal doom.I hated that I lost all my weapons and ammo,all that work...wasted.*shakes head*

JohnnyRancid said:

There better be a Teleport ambush as soon as I pick up this key, Yes!

All those DSSLOP sounds better be coming from an Arch Vile nearby, Yes!

I hope there aren't any Medikits in this giant courtyard with chaingunners in those windows, Yes!

This room better be really small to fight these Hell Barons in, Yes!

This dark room better have spectres in it, Yes!

This brown water better deal 10% damage, Yes!

This better not be the exit switch, Yes!

Man I laughed my ass off reading this. No really.

<-- is presently engaged reattaching one ass that decided to go in for a career of its own.

I remember the first time I ever saw a cyberdemon, on the original Doom E2M8. It appeared outside the doorway. stopped, and blew me into something resembling gravy. And I remember thinking "Whoah. Hope I never see one of them again."

Well here we are potentially thousands of cyberdemon kills later and I didn't exactly get my wish on that score. But sometimes not getting what you wish for is OK too.

<-- hears the sound of another cyberdemon baying for blood even as we speak. Begins loading up his Double barrel shotty.

I usually don't find myself wishing for stuff, but instead just take whatever comes at me. This is because I've found that, whenever I'm in dire need of ammo or health (usually doesn't happen in stock levels) then they are nowhere to be found.

What I do get is at least somewhat of an ability to anticipate when something really bad is about to come my way. The best sign of this is when you've just cleared a room of small enemies but there's lots of rockets and cells scattered about the room and a big mysterious sealed door. It doesn't take a moron to realize that whatever's behind that door will be nasty. Almost always, my "wish" in this comes true.

There was also that time I was playing MAP10 (I think) of Scythe II and I saw a nice pretty soulsphere sitting at the end of a little hallway. As I ran towards it, it dawned on me that a free soulsphere was unlikely. Sure enough, upon picking it up, I heard the thundering of cyberdemon feet and was promptly splattered. It scared the shit out of me the first time, because although I anticipated something scary a cyberdemon really wasn't what I had in mind.

And something to anticipate in later maps of Scythe II: key/powerup = ten million revenants