Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cybermaarten

'unjoin' sectors

I'm still experiencing trouble with this. Say I have 2 sectors joined, 1A and 1B. Now I want to unjoin them. According to CodeImp, I should draw a line through 1A, which splits sector 1A into 1A and 2. Say I only want to keep 1B and 2. How do I get rid of 1A? Selecting all linedefs of 1A except the line between 1A and 2? Won't that result in errors?

Another problem is that when I split a sector, it's rather unpredictable which part of the split sector stays part of the joined sector, and which part becomes a new sector... I tried drawing the linedefs from left to right and from right to left, but that doesn't always work. Is there a good workaround for this?

Two nice features that would solve all of my problems, would be:
- If I rightclick 1A I should have a button "unjoin sector". When I choose it, the sector would get the first available sector number. So when I have joined sectors 1A, 1B and 1C, and "unjoin" 1A, I get sectors 1B, 1C and 2 (1B and 1C still being one joined sector).
- If I draw a linedef through 1A, so I split it, it should result in 2 totally new, unjoined sectors. So say I have sectors 1A and 1B, and split 1A, I get sectors 1B, 2 and 3. I can easily join 1B and 2 again, if I wanted that.

Just trying to add something to the already great app!

I'm still experiencing trouble with this. Say I have 2 sectors joined, 1A and 1B. Now I want to unjoin them. According to CodeImp, I should draw a line through 1A, which splits sector 1A into 1A and 2. Say I only want to keep 1B and 2.

Either you don't understand or you can't explain it :P
When you join sectors 1A and 1B together, all you have is sector 1 (no A or B, they have become one) So when you split them, it really doesn't matter if it was 1A or 1B,... it will become 1 and 2, according to your terminology.

Yea the sector splitting (with unclosed split line only) does have a little bit of unpredictable result when the sector is complex (multiple islands). But when you split a sector by completely drawing over the part you want to become a new sector, there is no such problems.

In Doom Builder 2 there will be a Make Sector feature which makes it also simple to seperate islands from one sector. I'm also thinking about a quick-split feature which allows you to draw one line, not connected to anything, just a random line across your map, and it will split the sector into whats on the left of the line and whats on the right of it.

Ok I've done some little testing, and it seems I finally understand how it works. Thanks for the tips CodeImp :).

I've been working a lot with DukeBuild in the past, and stuff like redrawing a sector (drawing a new sector on top of an old one) was just not accepted there. It resulted in various exotic errors. Seem DoomBuilder is a little more forgiving than that.

Still, an "unjoin" button might be cool :P

Unjoin Sector? Since it is only one sector I don't see how a machine can split it properly completely automated. There is no information whatsoever that indicates where it should be splitten to 'unjoin'. The only thing I can think of is splitting an island from a sector, but that is exactly the same as using a Make Sector function on the island, splitting it off from the whole sector. Care to elaborate on your 'Unjoin Sector' idea?