Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dmaster

deutex not working

I keep trying to run deutex but it keeps exiting the software and closes it. All i'm trying to do is get the weredragon sprites from heretic's wad. Any help would be gladly appreciated.

You're running it from a command-line console, right? It's a command-line program.

Looks like your using the Start menu's "Run" prompt.
First open a command-line console (type CMD into the "Run" prompt) - then try running Deutex.

"Not working" is not very helpful. What are you having problems with? Are you getting an error message? Throw us a frickin' bone here.

Errr, it's a command line program. It doesn't have a UI. You don't just double click on the executable to run it. You have to have everything you want DeuTex to do ready before you run it; it sounds to me as though you're trying to run DeuTex without giving it anything to do.

Check manpage.txt and dtexman6.txt to learn about the various parameters DeuTex can use.

For example:

deutex -sprites -bmp -xtract heretic.wad
Would take all of the sprites out of heretic and save them as bitmaps (provided a copy of heretic.wad is in the same directory as DeuTex, of course).

From what I can remember (it's been a while since I've used DeuTex) it can't extract a specific set of sprites, it's either one sprite at a time with the -get parameter, or -xtract to dump all the sprites out of a wad. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Of course, if all else fails, just give up on trying to use DOS and use some Windows programs instead, like Slumped, WinTex or XWE. They do the same thing DeuTex does, but have UIs for the Windows people. :p

dmaster said:

It still isn't working...

It's obvious that you don't know how to use the command line. Try using a graphical tool instead; you'll find it easier.

Or, as a wise man once said:

One who does not understand past ways should not try to use their tools.

:p

No we don't. It’s easy enough to use the command line. If you can't use the command line, you shouldn't be using the program. Like what Nexius quoted.

kaiser_wilhelm said:

We need front ends for some of thse programs!

Why would you need a front end for a program like this when other programs exist that offer the exact same functionality that this does? Just use one of them! Like I said previously, you have WinTex, Slumped and XWE. All can extract the sprites he's needing, and all have user interfaces for Windows. There would be no point whatsoever in making a front end for DeuTex.

Nuxius said:

Why would you need a front end for a program like this when other programs exist that offer the exact same functionality that this does? Just use one of them! Like I said previously, you have WinTex, Slumped and XWE. All can extract the sprites he's needing, and all have user interfaces for Windows. There would be no point whatsoever in making a front end for DeuTex.

But I am sure that there are other programs that need one though.