Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Big_Phil

Newbie needs help!

Hi, I recently started Doom editing and I was wondering how under Vanilla Doom you can get monsters to transport in at a particular time to a particular place. Is this even possible?

do you mean as in traditional Doom where when you make a noise the monsters all teleport in to trash you?

If that's what you mean, you need to make a room off the map for your monsters to be in, and make a little canal from the room to the room where the monsters will spawn so the sound can travel. If you want to control when they come in, make a linedef and tag it to a wall in the monster room so that when player crosses it, the wall is brought down and th emonsters can run over the teleport lindef. Note, you need to make the teleport linedef closer to the desired spawnspot so that they ruin towards it, and naturally the teleport line must be behind the wall so they don't spawn before time.

Is this what you meant? If it is you'll get the hang of it in time.

Hmm.... I can't get it to work. I'll try to tell you what I have done. I have made a room just opposite where the player is sperated by a 8 unit "door" that doesn't open. The room where the monsers are is divided up into two areas with a door which opens when the player crosses a particular lindef. On the otherside of door there is a monsor telport lindef. Unfortunatly while I can hear the door going up, the monsers do not move from their position no matter how much noise I make in the other room. Any suggestions? Does this make sense at all?

As pritch said you've to make a small "canal" from the room you're in to the room with the monsters, so that they can hear your gunfire and "wake up". Just connect the rooms with a very small sector with a small height.

I just can't get it to work :( Does anyone know a map that does this that I can open up and see how they did it?

You can also just put a, say 64 by 64 sector in your monster room and number it the same as the main room you will be fighting in. The sound will flow over to the monster room even if they are not physically connected, and get them all riled up. Then when the door opens or floor moves or whatever you use for a block, the monsters can get to the monster teleport and get in your face.

A lot of maps use this same thing to teleport monsters. You probably own some of them.

If you still have trouble I can draw a couple romms with monster teleport in 5 minutes and email to you.

A good example of this technique is used in MAP01.

There's a door with imps behind it in the brown hall. Look at it on the map, and note how a canal joins it with another room, which is joined with the hall, so the imps can wake up and hear you.

The best example I can think of was Suburbs in Doom 2. I think that used a slime canal floating under the wall of the player's area to communicate sound with the (huge) cache of monsters on the other side.
It's one of the neatest tricks in Doom. When you can hear them all growling and you're wondering just when you're gonna trip the linedef which sets them all free...

I slightly tidier way of doing it (IMO), rather than making a small chanel for the sound, split the sector the player is in into 2 separate rooms. (ie create 2 rooms, and make all the siddefs that face into both rooms reference the same sector. Keep both rooms near, when a sound is made in one, it is heard in the other and the monstrs wake up. No need to try and hide the chanel, because it isn't needed.

First map I noticed the chanel method in E1M9 - where the monsters teleport in to the pentegram with the rocket launcher on it.

ah, E1M9, one of my old favourites... :)

Your way is easiest, I dunno, I guess I prefer the sound canal because it seems more realistic, like the monsters would tunnel it so that they could hear you... hehe.