Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
keoghjacob

Need Help On Compressing DOOM.WAD

I need help on compressing DOOM.WAD. I found an old computer in my attic. And It Contained DOOM 1.6. And I Plan On Getting DOOM 1.9 Shareware, Putting It On Floppies and compressing DOOM.WAD to fit on 1 to 5 floppys.

keoghjacob said:

And I Plan On Getting DOOM 1.9 Shareware, Putting It On Floppies and compressing DOOM.WAD to fit on 1 to 5 floppys.

good idea. problem is, DOOM.WAD ISN'T THE SHAREWARE VERSION.

The official shareware releases already split up in portions for you for this reason

I plan on getting the shareware on some other disks. And getting DOOM.WAD and DOOM.EXE registered files on some other disks.

Ideas:

• Use a spanning zip file to split it across several floppy disks and uncompress with pkunzip.
  • Install a CD-ROM drive on the target computer and burn it onto a CD.
  • Acquire an old (ISA?) network card and install it into the target computer, set up a LAN and copy it over (difficult, if it's pre-Win95)
  • Get a null modem cable and copy it over using that.
  • Take the hard drive out of the target computer, plug it into your main computer, copy over anything you need and then swap the hard drive back.

fraggle said:

• Take the hard drive out of the target computer, plug it into your main computer, copy over anything you need and then swap the hard drive back.

Best method, IMO. This is what I used recently on my old computer.

RTC_Marine said:

7-zip can split files iirc

Will that run on DOS? I see lots of people suggesting various different compression tools, but in this case they're useless if there isn't a DOS version to decompress with.

I just recently downloaded WinZip Self Extractor. Does the self extractor have any compatibility with DOS? If not I need another way to spann the floppies, My best chance on transferring the DOOM files.

You can use the DOS program pkzip (there's a handy link on this page). The included program zip2exe.exe creates a self-extractor. There are instructions in the accompanying documentation.

Copied & pasted from Computerhope.com

To do this you would use the below syntax.

pkzip [directory] [diskfilename] -&

Example:

pkzip c:\windows\*.* a:\windows.zip -&

The -& is the important part of the above line and is telling pkzip to place your files onto multiple disks.

EDIT- Removed some unnecessary full stops.

I am not good at DOS. I basicly can do CD C:\DOOM,DOOM. And there it is. I will give you the info to make me the commamd. My floppy drive is A:. PKZIP is in C:\ZIP. And DOOM.ZIP is in C:\DOOM.ZIP

keoghjacob said:

I am not good at DOS. I basicly can do CD C:\DOOM,DOOM. And there it is. I will give you the info to make me the commamd. My floppy drive is A:. PKZIP is in C:\ZIP. And DOOM.ZIP is in C:\DOOM.ZIP

All right, based on GreyGhost's post (it's been ages since I used pkzip for dos), it should be something like this:

First, to make a multiple file archive, you don't need it to be 'pre-zipped', so I'll assume you have doom.wad in C:\DOOM.

Then, follow these steps:

C:
CD\ZIP
pkzip c:\doom\doom.wad a:\doom.zip -&

I assume that pkzip will ask you to put the (next) disk in A: at the appropriate time.

Scorpion finally gave my a working solution thanks for your help. Have fun playing DOOM,DOOM 2,DOOM 3,Ultimate DOOM or Final DOOM! Case Closed!

Grazza said:

You can use the DOS program pkzip (there's a handy link on this page). The included program zip2exe.exe creates a self-extractor. There are instructions in the accompanying documentation.

Good 'ole pkzip. That gives me flashbacks. Friend of my brothers used to have all these games compressed across stacks of floppies. He had Quake and we were trying to install it on our Pentium 133 at the time. It occupied something retarded like 64 floppy disks.

We got to a disk in the 40's range and then it crapped out lol. Took forever to install each too. Also got my first taste of PC Doom, DoomII, Final Doom, Heretic, and Hexen. Also had wad author and got my first taste of map editing. Even though I couldn't make shit. Crazy to think about all those floppys when we got DVD burners and flash drives nowadays.