Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dmdr

Multiplayer recommendations?

Well, me and some of my friends are having a LAN this weekend, and therefore it's time for another recommendations thread. Hurrah!

Anyway, I've already acquired the following:

32in24 4 and 5
Crucified Dreams
Lamentations DM
Sacrifices DM
Dynamite Deathmatch
Gothic 1 and 2

As well as the following co-op friendly maps for when I get bored of pwning those fools:

The Great Bicycle Mystery
Deus Vult I and II

Anyway, is there anything else worth checking out? DM or Co-op is fine. We will be using Skulltag so maps made exclusively for that are OK too (although nothing too resource intensive, some of our computers are coal-fired, or damn close to it).

Cheers fellahs.

Also going to suggest 32in24...but the CTF one (can't remember which one that is...the 3rd one?). Anyways, if you feel like doing some CTF, you might want to check it out as well.

Going along the lines of Skulltag-related only mods, try out Domination (don't have the link on hand, but you could search the Skulltag forum or check /idgames for a download link). It's a lot of fun as well.

Mechadon said:

Also going to suggest 32in24...but the CTF one (can't remember which one that is...the 3rd one?). Anyways, if you feel like doing some CTF, you might want to check it out as well.

32in24-4 was CTF, which he already listed. :)

The full list, for reference:
32in24 - Free-For-All Deathmatch
32in24-2 - Single-Player (not on idgames)
32in24-3 - Duel
32in4-4 - Capture The Flag
32in24-5 - Free-For-All Deathmatch/Detail Extravaganza
Diet 32in24 - Single-Player (still needs to be compiled...><)
32in4-6 - Free-For-All Deathmatch

32in24-4 was CTF, which he already listed. :)

Oh, ok...rockin'. I had forgotten...I thought it was either 3 or 4 :)

Spunkman has some great maps in my opinion, although my opinion is based more on the look of the maps rather than the playability. Though, ddmset (Dream Duel) is actually really good for duels, as is Fear DM. Dream Deathmatch has some maps that are fairly open and probably don't play as nicely as the ddmset maps, but they are still some of my favorite maps nontheless.

I recommend greenwar.wad. Nice oldschool levels with very balanced gameplay.My all time favourite.

1on1 : Map01, D5M1, King1
Coop : AV, Scythe 2
CTF : Zdctfmp1-2-3
Deathmatch : Greenwar

Recommendations depend on exactly what you'll be doing. For instance, how many players will there be per game simultaneously? Some levels are great for a few players in Coop, but you might need other wads if many want to blast through (the recommendations above seem to favor more players per server). Same goes for DM; having a few 1on1s (maybe a brief competition) is one thing, and 6 players on a FFA (or some other mode) another.

Dwango5 map01 (plus to a degree map07*) is definitely worthwhile for 1on1s, but if you're unfamiliar with it this is better learned playing on servers rather than by random recommendations on a thread, and for FFA it can be fun but there are more substantial things (or the original wads from where many of the better Dwango maps came from), such as, for example:

Toke's Vex-Doom (or Vex-ZDaemon), and omgmaps (minimalist but fun)
Chaindude's Lazarus
Xenos' Xenosx9

CTF sets that are played a lot and have some good levels have been mentioned, and there's also Odactf (the set for Odamex).

Actually, besides written recommendations, a good idea is to hop onto servers (on Skulltag and ZDaemon) and check out the levels by playing on the people there, since you get to see people (including yourself) play on them and can judge how they actually play and how promising they'll be for future use (you and your buddies might want to keep playing the chosen levels on servers in the future after the LAN), as opposed to a mere opinion posted here or there.

* This can also be fun for FFA using pure SSG skill