Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
chungy

Does anyone happen to know a vanilla-ish Quake 2 port that works on Linux/amd64?

I can't get icculus.org's quake2 port to work (and their IRC wasn't surprised it didn't work)...

I know there's plenty of engines that add effects out of the wazoo, but since I never actually played the game before, I just want to play it as it was originally intended. It doesn't necessarily have to be as compatible as, say, Chocolate Doom is, but something like what TyrQuake does for Q1 (same look and feel, its only real changes are bug fixes). Would be nice if I could run speedrun demos in the engine (as I can with TyrQuake), but it's not a requirement.

I somehow rigged the icculus.org port to work on 64-bit Ubuntu without segfaulting all the time, but I rebuilt my system and forgot how I did it. I'm interested in any solutions as well.

I think the port you are looking for is R1Q2. Doesn't get more vanilla than that. :) There is an "enhanced" GL render that goes along with it that is very nice.

I can't get R1Q2 to work either... I only get into a console screen. It doesn't even compile ref_softx.so, only ref_gl.so, and the game doesn't even try using that until I rename it to ref_softx.so. :/

I didn't have luck with r1q2, either. I should try fucking with the icculus.org port again since I've gotten it to work in the past. Also, screw OpenGL; Quake 2 is so much more awesome in software mode.

quake2 ports suck since everyone ditches software renderer and don't even fix the horrid habits and bugs present in their ref_gl.

There is no FitzQuake2.

exp(x) said:

I somehow rigged the icculus.org port to work on 64-bit Ubuntu without segfaulting all the time, but I rebuilt my system and forgot how I did it. I'm interested in any solutions as well.

I used these patches to get the Icculus.org port of Quake2 to work on 64bit Ubuntu. I'm pretty sure they still work, but I haven't tested them lately.

http://blog.charcoalphile.com/2008/03/10/icculusorg-quake2-on-64bit-linux/

exp(x) said:

We ended up just force-installing the 32-bit Ubuntu packages.

Ugh... Maybe you should try the patches anyway. Installing 32bit .deb's has never worked well for me. Since they're usually not in the repository, it can cause problems when upgrading. I've had problems like that with wine, and some other packages.

Yeah, the 32-bit packages work fine (probably would require things like ia32*, but I already had those installed anyhow). Thanks for the link though, definitely worth checking out.

I've built up a huge /usr/lib32 directory, so 32-bit stuff usually isn't a problem for me. The biggest problem with the icculus.org port is that it can't build the software renderer for 64-bit, and that patch won't fix it. I can get the gl renderer to work, but frankly it looks like ass compared to software.

Yes, I see exactly what you mean. As I recall, Quake 2 uses a lot of 386 assembler for the software rendering code, but I don't know if that was ever ported to C. That can certainly cause portability problems.

That's not surprising, Carmack tend(ed|s) to use a lot of assembler in the engines, usually to quickly build optimized code for the intended platforms in a deadline. Generally though, it can be converted to C, and by the source release, performance isn't as big of an issue.

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with Carmack's coding style; I've had a couple patches added to the Icculus.org Quake source ports. Recently, however, they seem to have stopped maintaining and accepting patches for Quake2.

In any case, I think it's pretty clear that software on x86_64 is completely broken. I managed to get it to build, but it crashed immediately, and I don't have the time to debug it. Not that I would use software rendering, as the tearing is pretty horrible, and it's extremely slow at 1680x1050.

Perhaps you would feel more at home using the OpenGL renderer if you try the following:

- Open ~/.quake2/baseq2/config.cfg
- Change gl_texturemode to GL_NEAREST

That should disable the texture blending.

cleure said:

Perhaps you would feel more at home using the OpenGL renderer if you try the following:

- Open ~/.quake2/baseq2/config.cfg
- Change gl_texturemode to GL_NEAREST

That should disable the texture blending.

pfft, yeah liek that would fix the lighting issue, washed out texture issues, blurry texture issues, console error spam and lack of actual gamma

leileilol said:

pfft, yeah liek that would fix the lighting issue, washed out texture issues, blurry texture issues, console error spam and lack of actual gamma

Yep, you're absolutely right. But most people really don't care about those issues. They would rather be able to run it smoothly at 1680x1050, then have exact replication of the original.