Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kid Airbag

Burning question [about Beck's Odelay]

Why is Odelay so widely regarded as Beck's best album? Is it solely because it won a Grammy (which I don't understand, either)? At least four of his other albums are far more listenable.

It's his best in my opinion. His others didn't have as cohesive of a feel as that one did.

Huh, interesting that you'd say that, cause I feel like a big part of the reason it got as much acclaim as it did was because he really showed off a lot of versatility. There were songs on that album that could be classified as country, folk, rock, and rap, and some other genres that I'm forgetting/generalizing within those four.

That's true, but they all have the same tone. It's kind of hard to explain it though. It reminds me of an...urban desert summer. Or something.

I think it's a pretty consistent album, and it's got a nice share of good songs. Sea Change and Midnite Vultures are supposed to be pretty good too though.

Those, Odelay, and Mellow Gold are the only ones I've heard. Mellow Gold is a jumble (especially since it's pretty much a collection of his early stuff). Sea Change and Midnite Vultures I heard only once or twice through each, as I don't actually own them. IIRC Midnite Vultures was pretty much disco-y.

Odelay's far more experimental and original than any other "juxtaposition of genres" Beck album. There's parts to songs, tempo changes and a general avoidance of verse-chorus-verse compared to the rest. I like them all but nothing really compares to the catchiness of Where's It At / Devil's Haircut or the crazyness of Derelict / Diskobox / High 5.

Yeah, I think I love just about every song on that album. Bonus points go to the hidden track on the album which scared the crap out of this Mormon girl my friend was going out with. :P

Odelay is the only album I have. Its good, but not the best ever

Which album did Lonesome Tears show on?

Sea Change, a major departure from the rest of his discography, but very good. Great breakup album.

Cause Beck went from a 1 hit wonder to having 4 hits off of the CD if not more. That could be it.

geo said:

Cause Beck went from a 1 hit wonder to having 4 hits off of the CD if not more. That could be it.

Haha, yeah. I remember my mom got the Loser single (or EP or something) and she was like "this is a good song, but I can't imagine this guy making a whole album". Then Odelay came out and we were like :O. Saw him in concert not long after. He was pretty awesome.

I dunno, I just don't find much of anything off Odelay to be really catchy. Just a matter of taste I guess. I'm looking forward to his upcoming one at any rate, Danger Mouse is producing it. Should be interesting, especially since his most recent (The Information) was as close to a rap album as he's gotten.