Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Some Homegrown Textures, Some input wanted - New Textures Added

I have been working on making my own doom textures. have a look and tell me if ya'll think they're any good or just crap (these are PNG, not Doom palette)

EDIT: tell me what you like about them, what you dont like, what sort of improvements can be made, etc.

I like them. The only point I'd criticise is the grafitti crossing that horizontal line - doesn't look convincing. Needs a bit of shadow or moving below the line.

scorpion said:

Do these work?

1 2 3 4

(if you think me converting them was inappropriate, let me know. I'll delete them)

Never use dithering when converting down to 256 colors for Doom graphics. It looks horrible in-game.

@Scorpion, I'm trying to avoid the doom palette at all costs, but i may make Doom Palette versions for the sake of releasing a texture resource wad

@Fraggle, I agree

@Nightmare Doom, I'm learning to make textures with help from Sigvatr himself. Yeah, I may take over his place as maintainer of the (not dead) Last Man on earth Project.

@Grey Ghost, I will make a change to that, i had the same thought myself.

I'll post some more later in this thread, im working on some more concrete/pavement textures at the moment

Janitor said:

but i may make Doom Palette versions for the sake of releasing a texture resource wad

Go for it these textures look nice.

fraggle said:

Never use dithering when converting down to 256 colors for Doom graphics. It looks horrible in-game.

Yep, you're right, it was a quick inbetweenclasses job (I don't even know why, I guess for the sake of replying quickly, I guess). The graffiti has weird blue spots, and I haven't looked at the rest in-game, but I agreed, and actually realized it soon after I posted.

fraggle said:

For a finished piece you are right, mostly it just looks wrong, but dithering can be helpful when combined with a palette editor, changing the dots that look out of place through recolors. It can be useful because it avoids uniform color chunks or layers that often don't look too good either.

I may want to use them in my Xmas Doom '08 project if you don't mind. I'm always looking for new city-theme textures. If you want to join and see the maps and figure out some graphics specifically for it and give input, you could be a great addition to our small team.