Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bumpson

Doom = the ultimate gaming experience

The original Doom is/was the ultimate gaming experience which will never be topped by anything. The graphics, the violence, the atmosphere and imagery, the music, the playability and the action simply flows in perfect harmony.. If you are reading these boards i assume you know exactly what i am talking about. Playing Doom in 1994 is one of the greates experiences i've ever had. LONG LIVE DOOM!!!!

:) Vanilla Doom is the way to go if you want the original experience. I never get tired of playing E1M1.

that's what made doom so memorable. Playing the original, everyone has their experiences, such as - the donut shaped slime walkway in E1M3, and the first teleport in E1M5.
Because of all these classic events and the fact that we play the games over and over again, the doom community has helped make this game not just a classic, but a legend!

I still use Chocolate Doom just because other ports just don't feel right for playing the original game.

No. Vanilla DOOM with Soundblaster16 synths is! I always play my old Ultimate DOOM in DOSBox on XP if I want the full nostalgic experience without that friggin' top-quality midi sound card playing. It's always good to hear the crappy sounblaster quality which was good back in the day. If it could see us now...

..but it's an inanimate object, so it can't.

r_rr said:

:) Vanilla Doom is the way to go if you want the original experience.

That's it! More vDoom and less redundant ZDoom! Only ZDoom when the wad's for ZDoom!

If possible I play it on my P60(overclocked to 66Mhz).
That's where I saw Doom2 in action for the first time... it was love at first sight ^^
What amazes me is how the perception of a smooth framerate has changed - when i played it on an old 486DX-40 it felt pretty choppy(~18-20fps). Even on the P60 it doesn't hit the 35fps mark all the time.
I remember playing it once(94-95) with a friend who still had a 386 at the time - he was blown away by how "smooth" it ran on the Pentium(TM) - he, he

The machine in question - the P60 inside is a goldcap version.... oh nostalgia...

That reminds me: is there a way to have ZDoom limit the framerate to 60 instead of 30?

Bucket said:

That reminds me: is there a way to have ZDoom limit the framerate to 60 instead of 30?

As far as I know the 35fps cap is long gone in ZDoom - that's why it is beyond smooth on a faster machine.

Well, that's the thing. I *do* want to cap the framerate so my CPU doesn't have to work overtime. But 30 is too choppy.

_bruce_ said:

If possible I play it on my P60(overclocked to 66Mhz).
That's where I saw Doom2 in action for the first time... it was love at first sight ^^
What amazes me is how the perception of a smooth framerate has changed - when i played it on an old 486DX-40 it felt pretty choppy(~18-20fps). Even on the P60 it doesn't hit the 35fps mark all the time.
I remember playing it once(94-95) with a friend who still had a 386 at the time - he was blown away by how "smooth" it ran on the Pentium(TM) - he, he

I remember I couldn't run it on my 386 but if you got the 386 dx4 you could play it. Mine was running @25mhz, dx4 @40mhz.

I think the monsters make the doom experience last.
doom has been surpassed in every department long time ago, but not there.

Bucket said:

Well, that's the thing. I *do* want to cap the framerate so my CPU doesn't have to work overtime. But 30 is too choppy.

Doom uses 35Hz cap.

Also you could change priority of the process after executing it if you care about overload

Bucket said:

Actually, 30 fps is pretty smooth. It's smoother than the frame rate movies are shot in, which is 24 fps.

I don't know about that. With a higher frame rate monsters seem to be skating around instead of walking. It's better for those icy levels, at least :p