Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mechadon

alwaysrun?

I suppose I'm just use to it in ZDoom now, but is there an option to have the player always run? I looked through all of the documentation and the wiki, but I couldn't find anything on it. The reason I'm asking is because with newer type controls (mouse+WASD-type setup), its kind of a pain to have a run button alongside all of that. If I played with the oldschool controls it wouldn't be a problem though...but I prefer newtype :3

Anyways, if this isn't in Eternity, maybe then a feature request to add it would be in order?

My problem with Eternity is that I'm not sure how to get to a next page in any option page, so I don't know how to define a hotkey for autorunning. But Caps/Lock seems to switch it on and off, so try that.

Press pageup or pagedown to flip between menu pages, or use ctrl+left/right. (This will be altered to be more clear in the next release version).

You cannot currently rebind autorun to any other key besides CapsLock due to some legacy issues left over from BOOM. This is scheduled to be fixed very soon, since I'm extremely unhappy with it.

Quasar said:

You cannot currently rebind autorun to any other key besides CapsLock due to some legacy issues left over from BOOM. This is scheduled to be fixed very soon, since I'm extremely unhappy with it.

Er, PrBoom is derived from Boom as well and we have no trouble rebinding autorun.

Are you sure your trouble isn't the weird treatment SDL gives to the caps lock key? There is this weirdness that meant you had to press capslock twice to get the action it was bound to to register. For example, we have this bug report

Having investigated further I think you have coded a workaround for autorun (g_game.c, revision 422, lines 812-826) and removed the ability to bind it completely from g_bind.c, If I'm reading this right I think you need to apply the workaround for *capslock* as opposed to whatever autorun is bound to, and revert the removal of autorun from g_bind.c. Then you can let people bind capslock to whatever, and whatever else to autorun. Or you could just disallow the binding of capslock to anything, I don't know.

No wait, scratch that. I was trying to replicate the capslock weirdness on my Debian Etch system with prboom and sdl 1.2.11 but it turns out Debian have applied a patch to make Capslock behave normally! It also appears SDL have recently incorporated a modified version of the same patch upstream. I guess that means you can remove the autorun workaround completely and none of this stuff matters... well, as long as you ship a sufficiently recent (or patched) SDL.

Sorry if this post wasn't too coherent, as you can probably tell I was doing the research as I was going along. :)

No the trouble is that EE still technically has DOS support, which we are in the process of finally killing off, and the autorun function is tied into some specific crap on the DOS side of things. Once all of that is gone (as well as the awful shiftxform table and other problems), we can do away with the last remnants of the old Doom/Boom input system.