Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

[Community Project] Last Man on Earth - Universal Texture Pack Update

Would anyone be willing to resume or join the Last Man on Earth project?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would anyone be willing to resume or join the Last Man on Earth project?

• Yes
    • No

Ok everyone, I have revised Sigvatr's list.
I'm working on a Degree in Art and Design, with concentration in computer graphics and I have been working in game texturing, so I wanted something to put those skills to good use on. I still want to chug out some textures for the Doom community.

The plan now is that I'd like to get some mappers on board to make use of my new textures. As a team member, you will be able to request any type of texture you want from me and I will make it for you. Every map in the wad will have its own unique textures and feel to it.

None of the textures from the original game are allowed to be used. All textures in the project will be completely original. Any sprites from Doom and Doom 2 can be used. I plan to add additional enemies from the Doom Beastiary. The plan is to give the wad its own unique feel that distinguishes itself from the usual tech base/hell style maps that we see everyday.

This project is built for GZDoom in ZDoom Hexen format maps. If anyone is interested, then sign on board here. To make sure that I'm not putting new textures to waste, I'd like to ask that anyone who signs up has some experience in mapping. Any skill level is accepted since there will be people for detailing as well.

Each team member is encouraged to take 2 map slots. Here is the list of maps that will be in the pk3:

LME00 - Slums - (NeoWorm) - Texture Pack
LME01 - Sewers - (Jobro) - Texture Pack
LME02 - Hospital - (glaber)
LME03 - Church
LME04 - Office District - (Jobro)*
LME05 - Factory - (StewBoy)
LME06 - Warehouse - (Janitor)
LME07 - Subway - (The Iron Hitman)
LME08 - Power Plant - (Dutch Devil)
LME09 - Docks - (Fisk)
LME10 - Mine - (Butts)
LME11 - Missile Silo - (Janitor)*
LME12 - Ruins - (Printz)
LME13 - Hell on Earth - (Community Map)

After choosing a map, I will PM you with further information

Guest DILDOMASTER666

For the third fucking time, yes, I would like to join. Just give me a theme and textures and I'll get to work. Also, can I supply my own music and sky?

yeah dude.

idk if id join though. i probably would just detail shit ya know...

I will continue to encourage you guys and will obsessively watch any topics which contain the words "Last Man On Earth" in their titles :)

As for joining... I can't, too busy. I have another project to do for another community.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

So what's the news? Am I going to be the only mapper for this project? Surely somebody can at least handle custom enemies and such, and little misc. lumps and whatnot.

are you the only mapper? i cant devote my time to map for this but i could make a single map if youd like, or tweak an existing map possibly.

I might be willing to map. I just have to take a look at a few things first.

edit: Ok I'm in what are the restrictions?

Janitor said:

Sigvatr

Well hell, he's been losered for careless rule breaking. Is he still in contact with the Doom comm?

printz said:

Well hell, he's been losered for careless rule breaking. Is he still in contact with the Doom comm?

he's an egotistical bastard, but I've kept in contact with him

Guest DILDOMASTER666

For any mapper that's going to officially be in the team, I've got a new, beautiful method of skybox creation that you guys might like. PM me for details.

Uhh...I never made a doom Sky box so unless it's similar to how you make one in Unreal (by use of a thing in the sky box sector) I'll be sticking to the old fashion Fsky_1 way.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

It has nothing to do with what flat you use. It requires 3 unseen control sectors unreachable by normal gameplay, three textures, and the Skybox Viewer THING.

Ok, that sounds different than what I'm use too even with SRB2's Control sectors. Sounds like I'm going to have to experiment with it first.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I find that the best effect is if the two cloud layers scroll in different directions, and the top layer should scroll slower than the bottom layer. Both should theoretically have different cloud textures, too. See what you can come up with.

Janitor said:

I'd like to ask that anyone who signs up has some experience in mapping, in particular detailed mapping.

Well I'd only be at my second map but I'm used to Doom so no problem. As for detailed, I'd try better this time. More little sectors, helped also by new texes.

So I'd take LME 13. Hell on Earth.
On a second thought, MAP12, Ruins.

What about more mappers per slot, to have some mapping competition?

Janitor said:

To make sure that I'm not putting new textures to waste, I'd like to ask that anyone who signs up has some experience in mapping, in particular detailed mapping.

I'd advise against only recruiting experienced mappers for this project. It is often advisable that newer mappers get experience by composing single levels to improve their skills. Community projects like this are a good way for such mappers to get that experience while still being involved in a major project. Also, new mappers may have skillz too. I'd have never guessed Printz is only on his second map from the quality of the last map of Printz's I've played. Also, some people have offered to detail if any maps are too simple.

Death-Destiny said:

I'd advise against only recruiting experienced mappers for this project. It is often advisable that newer mappers get experience by composing single levels to improve their skills. Community projects like this are a good way for such mappers to get that experience while still being involved in a major project. Also, new mappers may have skillz too. I'd have never guessed Printz is only on his second map from the quality of the last map of Printz's I've played. Also, some people have offered to detail if any maps are too simple.

by experience, i mean that you must know how to map

Death-Destiny said:

I'd have never guessed Printz is only on his second map from the quality of the last map of Printz's I've played.

It's not my absolute first level. Relics stay in my PCs.

I've been messing around with these textures an bit I haven't been mapping for Gzdoom for an very long time though when is the deadline? are high res skyboxes allowed?

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Any res apparently. I find that as long as the ratio is 4:1 it looks good.

dutch devil said:

I've been messing around with these textures an bit I haven't been mapping for Gzdoom for an very long time though when is the deadline? are high res skyboxes allowed?

we're looking at a November 2008 deadline (which probably means March 2009) i was aiming to have mostly new mappers, but it would be great to have an experienced mapper like you on board. as you have read above, i will supply custom textures for this project. if there are any existing ones i have made that you want, i'll add them to your pack. the goal is have make something entirely new.

EDIT: no, we wont be using high-res skyboxes, but you can make them in map with any textures i make for that purpose.

I would like to make a map for this. Slums sound good. I didnt made any real DooM maps yet but I already have some experience with Duke so I think it shoudnt be problem.

Joining this project is bad for my personal projects :p ah screw it Power Plant please.

Some techie textures like computer panels, pipes, light, textures would be nice I am using an high res skybox atm if you could make an few sets of textures for skyboxes that would be great.

Oh not sure if there are crates in the textures wad but I gotta have crates can't do without crates :p

Guest DILDOMASTER666

For me, some generic terrain, street/cement, and any random building textures.