Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

[Community Project] Last Man on Earth - Universal Texture Pack Update

Would anyone be willing to resume or join the Last Man on Earth project?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would anyone be willing to resume or join the Last Man on Earth project?

• Yes
    • No

Creafis makes a good point. The original goal of this project was to continue what Sigvatr started. However, I think I am going to change our approach to this. I might just make a universal city/industrial texture pack and let everyone use it. More details later.

Janitor said:

Creafis makes a good point. The original goal of this project was to continue what Sigvatr started. However, I think I am going to change our approach to this. I might just make a universal city/industrial texture pack and let everyone use it. More details later.

Oh, please don't :). I prefer the Sigvatr way because by the time you'd finish my Ruins texture pack, it will be around the autumn (close before the deadline), after I take my exams, so I will have plenty of time for mapping. If you just make a common texture pack and release it to everybody, it will probably appear earlier and I'll be rushed to map in a more acute period.

Also, a purely "Ruins" texture pack works for me because I can make practically anything doom2ish with city ruins and no sound architecture.

printz said:

Oh, please don't :). I prefer the Sigvatr way because by the time you'd finish my Ruins texture pack, it will be around the autumn (close before the deadline), after I take my exams, so I will have plenty of time for mapping. If you just make a common texture pack and release it to everybody, it will probably appear earlier and I'll be rushed to map in a more acute period.

Also, a purely "Ruins" texture pack works for me because I can make practically anything doom2ish with city ruins and no sound architecture.

Yeah, I got exams too in the summer, but I'll have plenty of time (about 2-3 months or so) to do the mapping. I agree strongly with what printz says.

EDIT: Can I possibly detail a few maps when they are done?

UPDATE: Here is 1 screenshot. It's not much, but it shows the start area. The rest of this "plaza" area looks a mess so I decided to take this 1 screenshot. And the two buildings you see are accessible. The blue techy textures are just placeholders until the plaza is fully complete.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4764/screenshotdoom200804200hw9.png

NOTE: The screenshot makes the dynamic lights look dull. I can't stress this enough, this is my GzDoom configuration. I have the brightness pretty damn high. Anyways, constructive criticism is welcome.

Jim Rainer said:

Looks good. It'd definitely look better if it was darker, though.

Yeah, that's my monitor settings. It is dark though, but don't know whether to make it darker or not.

the iron hitman said:

If needed (and I know it probably won't) I could make a video trailer for this project. Just an idea :P

That's not a bad idea. It would allow for advertising and getting info about the project out to non-doomworlders.

EVERYONE:

The original intention of this project was to finish what Sigvatr started. Well, Sigvatr was a bit careless in his planning. So, I'm going to change the rules a little.

(1) Still no original Doom textures or other texture packs
(2) I will make a Universal City/Industrial/Etc texture pack for everyone to use
(3) Still no deadlines

after this post, only post texture requests so I know what to put in the universal texture pack. Do not worry, I will put in adequate textures for every map mentioned in the first post.

Again, I have a real life, with real concerns. I will finish these textures sometime this summer. So please be patient.

Hey, I've got an idea, because this is GZDoom and the theme's urban: how about traffic lights? If they're not obeyed, the ground of the street opens up and swallows the player. Why not cars -- because they're mundane and Doom 2 is helped if made creepier.

One or two grass textures, some pale, brown sick grass.
Railing, normal, and with warning strips (black and yellow).
Fences.

By the way you dont have to make walls with grafitti as textures, we can use Decals to put grafitti onto walls when making maps.
More info here: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Decal_Thing

I'll need: hospital doors, medicin cabnits, bathroom doors, a tv monator (broken or with static), and info on how to get GZdoom fofs looking solid instead of see-through.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

If you can, and I'm sure this goes without saying, some generic street and sidewalk textures - a mixture of destroyed and dirty etc... And some very dirty, decrepit buildings. And if you want to go all out, I could use some destruction textures, like a big scorched patch of earth, a mortar-only wall, and a rubble texture.

If possible, could I have a road flat texture, a few grass and stone texture (grungy and normal) and some more graffitti and city-like textures please :D Thanks

I have a couple requests for textures (if this project isn't dead, that is.)
Some sort of conveyor belt flat and the equivalent conveyor texture (perhaps a little like DOORTRAK?) would be nice, please. (For the factory map.)
And some small switches/terminals would also be good. (If you are making computer terminal textures, could you also include their 'destroyed' or 'blown up' equivalents please? Just a simple recolour of all non-white colours to black/grey would do.)

I must hereby ask for your forgiveness. 10 days ago I suddenly got hit by a hard nasty kind of cold / flu that forced me to stay in bed with feverpeeaks of upto 39C. It was just until a few days ago that I could stumble away from my bed. The flu / cold has left me, but the cough hasn't as I type this. Unfortunatly I haven't been able to do any progress on either map due to that. With 8 days of work on my desk I had to struggle today and yesterday to get the balance right. I'm back on track now and I'll get going with the sewer level. Not much to show off from a start, but better than nothing.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/8681/screenshotdoom200805062ab8.png

I won't have the time to get something done, you can remove me from the list.I wish everyone good luck with the project, it sure is gonna be something very original.

Heyeveryone, Im not dead, right now I am in Thailand. I'm getting back to the US in 2 weeks. When I get back, I'll post a texture wad. Sorry for the wait.

@ Dutch, no problem, Im kinda busy with CC4 too

I'd be absolutely delighted if both this project and the Heretic Treasure Chest get finished in time for Christmas 2008!
I'd be the "Happiest Man on Earth", LOL.