Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snarboo

2008 - A Dead Guy Odyssey

Arthur C Clarke passed away today at the age of 90 from breathing problems. I'll try to find a good link, but we'll miss ya'. :(

Edit:
Here we go. Taken from Wiki article about Arthur C.

I was very drunk last night so I couldn't gather any thoughts, but... I never really read anything of his aside from 2001. That was a pretty good book, and made more sense than the movie. Though I was never a very big fan of his, he was one of the great sci-fi writers, all of whom are underrated in the world of literature as a whole IMHO.

I have to recommend Childhood's End to you if you liked 2001, Dan. It's a great book, and it deals with all sorts of issue that I find fascinating such as evolution and technology.

The first book in the Rama series is also good. As the series progresses it gets weirder and starts reading like bad fan fiction, gratuitous sex included.

Edit:
One of Led Zeppelin's album covers was based on the ending to Childhood's End.

"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value" ~ Arthur C Clarke

Snarboo said:

The first book in the Rama series is also good. As the series progresses it gets weirder and starts reading like bad fan fiction, gratuitous sex included.

That's because Clarke didn't actually write them, he pitched some ideas and lent the name, they were Gentry Lee's abortions.

Captain Red said:

Dead? Nah man, He's just rejecting his physical form so he can reach the next stage of evolution.

:(

my thoughts exactly

Good God...I was actually just thinking to myself a day or so ago about how amazing it was that he was still alive. I guess I spoke to soon.

I will weep for you, Grand Master of Science Fiction.