Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
warriordoomer

pictures in doom

warriordoomer said:

ok so how do i take pictures while im playing a wad>

Did you try turning the room lights and the flash off?

It depends. What source port are you using? Most I've played have the option to bind a key to a screenshot command in the controls menu.

If you're using vanilla, however, you must run the game with -devparm in the command line and then you can use F1 for screenshots.

Bashe said:

It depends. What source port are you using? Most I've played have the option to bind a key to a screenshot command in the controls menu.

If you're using vanilla, however, you must run the game with -devparm in the command line and then you can use F1 for screenshots.

I think ZDoom also takes screenshots if you just press the Print Screen button midplay. Works the same as the 'screenshot' console command as if you bound it to a key.

Richo Rosai said:

Did you try turning the room lights and the flash off?

I get better results laying the monitor face down on my scanner. :P

Doom Legacy used to have a screenshot function in the console. You where SUPPOSED to bind it to a key ("bind s screenshot") but many people didnt so you'd get webpages for legacy projects where every screenshot would be half-fulled with the transparent green console. Anyway the same binding command most probably works in Zdoom.

If you use printscreen you'll need to exit the game and paste the picture into an image program and save it every time you take one.

deathbringer said:

Doom Legacy used to have a screenshot function in the console. You where SUPPOSED to bind it to a key ("bind s screenshot") but many people didnt so you'd get webpages for legacy projects where every screenshot would be half-fulled with the transparent green console. Anyway the same binding command most probably works in Zdoom.

If you use printscreen you'll need to exit the game and paste the picture into an image program and save it every time you take one.

ZDoom has PrintScreen bound to screenshot by default.

warriordoomer said:

ok so how do i take pictures while im playing a wad>

If Print Screen works in vanilla Doom without DOSBox and the image goes in the right palette, then you're in luck of having an authentic Doom screenshot. It's annoying that PCX is no longer supported.

In Vanilla, I am pretty sure, you just use -devparm in your command line and it ties screenshots to 'F1' if I remember correctly. It saves them into the Doom directory.

Technically it writes the screenshot to the working directory. Of course, with vanilla, your working directory has to be the doom directory. This isn't the case with chocolate doom.

Yeah, annoying that PCX isn't supported by a lot of programs anymore, but you can just use ImageMagick to convert it to PNG.

Have you tried Fraps? It names and date-stamps the screenshots automatically - a bit like a digital camera. Also does video capture. Just make sure you assign key bindings that aren't used by the source port/s you're running.

But here's the all-omportant question: Will Fraps save adjustments made to the graphics hardware? i.e., brightness and contrast adjustments in jDoom. 'Cause nothing else I've used so far does. Which sucks. A lot.

Grimm said:

But here's the all-omportant question: Will Fraps save adjustments made to the graphics hardware? i.e., brightness and contrast adjustments in jDoom. 'Cause nothing else I've used so far does. Which sucks. A lot.

yes

Huh, you'd think screenshot taking programs would just capture what is on the screen. You'd think that would be a basic principle, expected even. But then the Doomworld /idgames search didnt recognise spaces for a while, you where supposed to magically know it didn't and do something else... programmer minds dont work the same way normal people's do

Yeah . . . too bad Fraps interferes with Doomsday somehow and starts slwoing the Hell out of everything when you load a game. Figures. *sigh*

That's more or less unavoidable. During the time Fraps accesses the video memory all other access has to be blocked so logically the game will be stalled. I haven't been able to grab screenshots from any game with it at a decent rate.