Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jobro

Are there any texture allignment tools?

I'm intrested in knoing if there is any tool that can look at the textures used on walls and align them properly. If there is doable in any current editors then let me know how it can be done.

I think Doom Builder is alright. There's a fast autoalign ability for both 2d and 3d mode. Go in 3d, point at the unaligned walls, then press the assigned key, to have it done. There exist horizontal aligning and vertical aligning, with separate keys assigned.

Most editors, actually, have texture aligning commands, but probably not as fast as DB's, and not in a 3d mode. Only in 2d, by selecting the walls and calling the command.

Indeed DB is maybe the best way to make a perfect texture alignement :)
You can always use another map builder and still use DB for aligning...

Because using your brain makes you smarter.

Seriously though, ever since I started Doom editing, I can recite my multiples of 4/8/16/32/64/128 with ease. Even impressed a few people along the way.
I mean how many average people can list their multiples of 8 all the way up to 4096. :)

Well you store this in your brain in a table, and when you need to access this information, it's readily available.

EarthQuake said:

Because using your brain makes you smarter.

Or to put it another way - use it or lose it.

Long ago when I was hacking on Commodore 64's (yes - I'm antiquated) my main programming tools were a machine language monitor, a pencil and mental arithmatic.
I still use two of them on a regular basis - they work well and don't need batteries.

DB's autoalign is very handy, but in more complex texture situations, it's often best to align by hand. Autoalign doesn't always work how you want it to when the texture to be aligned is an upper texture on one line and a middle texture on the line connected to it, etc. Also, the vertical autoalign feature isn't predictable enough; you can easily get some ridiculous and unwanted offset values with it. Remember that most vertical texture alignment should be done with lower and upper unpegging.

In Doom Builder aligning over x-axis usally goes without any problems but on the y-axis I do it manually cause it messes up texture alignment somewhere else for most of the time.

Doom Builder, Slade, and DeepSea can autoalign for you, but there are a lot of cases when I'd recommend doing it by hand. Textures with visible outlines and distinct panels look really bad when they get wrapped around tight corners mid-panel. You can avoid it by adding a couple vertices and manually aligning to stretch the texture across the length of the wall.