Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
IMJack

Doom makes Shiz List. Much rejoicing.

This is funny. The GBA version of Doom made lionlamb.org's "Dirty Dozen" list of violent games to avoid this Christmas. And d'you know what they based their judgement on? The box. Yep, they made their entire judgement based onnaught but the box text. (And a handful of online reviews.)

Doom, Activision for the Game Boy Advance
Recommended Age: T for Teen, with “Blood” and “Violence” descriptors.
Description: One of the best-known first-person shooter games, now in a hand-held version.
Why we chose it: This Game Boy Advance version is the basically the same game that was rated M for Mature for the PC. “Blast your way to freedom through Doom’s 24 levels of destruction,” the package suggests. “Annihilate hell spawned demons with plasma rifles, chain guns and rocket launchers. Team up with a friend … for the ultimate deathmatch.” According to a review in www.gamespot.com, “Doom is a straight shooter, so you’ll end up firing no matter what’s in front of you. … There’s nothing like blasting your friend in the back when he’s fighting cacodemons.”

That, my firends, is the entirety of their crap-tastic little review. (Here's the link if you don't believe me.) And they do thesame thing for everything else on the list: Make their judgements on the box, without doing any research of their own.

On another note, Fark.com is my new homepage. Thanx to whomever posted that link on these boards in the first place. :)

the fark link was deadnail, as was consumptionjunction. The man's a legend, I mean where does he find 'em?

Pah, that site is just a namby-pamby mummies site for their little erics and tinkerbelles.

If my mum had said Doom was too violent for an elevn year old when it came out I would have threatened to do all the things to the house that I would otherwise do in the game unless...

anyways, parents would give their kids any game no matter how violent if it means them disappering on xmas day so they can have maybe 5 minutes piece and a good screw without interruption... :)

Pah, that site is just a namby-pamby mummies site for their little erics and tinkerbelles.

Hey now, the Eric down the street from me had his own cult when he was 11.

All eriks are fucked up in the head. There's this one that started a conspiracy against teachers, he actually through a chair at one. Also said he was gonna shoot up the school if he got his hands on a gun. Luckily he got kicked out.

Eric

So that's how you spell the name? Ahhh!
whatever, all Erics and Eriks are messed up.

whatever, all Erics and Eriks are messed up.

Yeah, he's smoked so much weed in the last 2 years that he's permanently baked.

O's right, all Erics have something wrong with them, it's a kiss of death being given that name. Nigel, as well...

I've only known one Eric, but he was a toady for the school asshole, so I have no fond memories of him.

I also have known three very different people named Mike Smith. But that's another subject.

I also have known three very different people named Mike Smith. But that's another subject.

Really? I've known two.

I also knew 9 Erics during highschool.

Dude. This is so fucking weird. My friend Eric is a nutcase. He wears fishnet shirts and makeup and has this master plan of destroying the world. He has renounced society and wishes to become a hermit. He also came up with this theory that all Erics are fukked up.

Ahem. [COUGH] NOT all Eriks are messed up. Some happen to be very cool....

Cool and messed up aren't contradictory terms :)

How about fixing that [url], Dan? :)

WTF is that about? It WAS working. I treid to fix it, but I can't figure out whats wrong with it.

all Erics and Eriks are messed up.

At least I don't spend my time punching cyberdemons.

I'm sure nobody means any personal offense, Erik. It's just that a lot of Erics people knowhappen to be somewhat... personality-imbalanced, if you will. :) ;)

Oh well, I doubt that anyone who regular these forums has the right to call him/herself completely sane.

At least I don't spend my time punching cyberdemons.

That's FISTING, not punching! =]

Oh well, I doubt that anyone who regular these forums has the right to call him/herself completely sane.

Damn straight! /me sits in the corner, laughing and drooling and writing code in my mind...

This Game Boy Advance version is the basically the same game that was rated M for Mature for the PC. “Blast your way to freedom through Doom’s 24 levels of destruction,” the package suggests. “Annihilate hell spawned demons with plasma rifles, chain guns and rocket launchers. Team up with a friend … for the ultimate deathmatch.” According to a review in www.gamespot.com, “Doom is a straight shooter, so you’ll end up firing no matter what’s in front of you. … There’s nothing like blasting your friend in the back when he’s fighting cacodemons.”

Huh, they just summed up everything I love about doom in one paragraph, nice guys!

And on the subject of Erics, I happen to have a friend name Eric who just happens to be somewhat sane. At least more sane than I am.