Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Curunir

"Prune unused textures" tool

I have asked about this on other Doom forums but I didn't really get any answers I think.

What I was wondering is, is there a tool or program or editor that can scan a map (set of maps?) in a wad and then remove all unused textures. When I map I like to merge maps and a bunch of textures and flats and use any resources I like as I go along. But in the end I end up with a bunch of unused/useless/unwanted textures and/or flats that I never used, don't intend to use and which just bloat the filesize and make texture selection harder.

Is there a tool that can scan and remove unused textures? I seem to recall Enjay telling me that DeepSea can do it but DeepSea is far too scary and full of insanity for me to even attempt to use. I think I once read that the "next" version of XWE would support this but I don't think that version has come out yet.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Heh, I was gonna say Deepsea but then I read your post.
It's not really that scary. It was the first map editor I used (and I still use it to this day), and it was not that difficult to get set up. It's actually much easier than it previously was. As messy and cluttered as it is, it's a powerful, and pretty well documented program.

Just install, start it up, select the project type you want, find your doom2.wad, and open your map. From there, look in the Check menu. however, with the shareware version you're limited to saving only rather small maps.

Also regarding XWE, you might check the beta build. It could already be implemented. And if you're really desperate for a quick solution, you might try searching idgames in the utilities directory for any stand-alone programs that do what you need.

I know I'm not going to be much help, but I can say that such a tool does in fact exist. I used it about a year back on a fairly large wad and it seemed to work (but if you find and use it, you'll want to be sure to make a backup of your wad, just in case). I think I grabbed it somewhere off of ZDoom's forums so you may want to conduct a search over there to see if you can find it.

XWE seems to have a "List unused textures" function. However that doesn't seem to actually list them, it just pops some text in the statusbar which says "39 textures used". Yes, I'm sure I clicked :List UNused", not "List used". Once you click the MAP lump and then go to Map -> List used, a nice, clear list appears. "List unused" however just outputs "39 textures used" in the statusbar.

Oh well. Seems like it's DeepSea or nothing :D

What do you mean by "unused textures"? Custom, new patches never actually used ingame, or lower/higher textures never revealed to the player?

In case of the latter, then I see no reason whatsoever to remove them. Why? Doombuilder dumbly does it each time a sector is created next to the "faulty" lines, creating potential HOM previously prevented by the mapper. Opposedly, Deepsea seems to know that whatever concealed textures are to appear.

No I mean custom, new textures from a wad that you merged with your map wad - deleting/pruning the custom ones that you never used in your map(s).

XWE does create a list of unused textures in a wad when you tell it to check for them. But it doesn't quite do it the way you might expect...

Running the list unused textures command creates a txt file called "not_used.txt" in the root folder of your hard drive (i.e c:, d: etc). The unused textures are listed within in it.

I don't know if you can change that location.

Vermil said:

Running the list unused textures command creates a txt file called "not_used.txt" in the root folder of your hard drive.

I've been wondering where the hell that file came from! Thanks for the info.

Haha, I just noticed that file too. This kind of blows though - this list also includes unused IWAD original game textures, not just custom, new textures, which renders the whole exercise pointless.

I think Graf Zahl made a program like this for KDIZD, but I can't remember whether he ever made it publically available.

Come to think of it, there was one made for the Darkening Episode 1, but that never got released either :|.

NiGHTMARE said:

I think Graf Zahl made a program like this for KDIZD, but I can't remember whether he ever made it publically available.

I haven't. If I had it would be available.

Curunir said:

This kind of blows though - this list also includes unused IWAD original game textures, not just custom, new textures, which renders the whole exercise pointless.

Unless you replaced some of the IWAD patches/textures, this would not be as much of a problem as you'd imagine. Simply sort the list and pick out the names of your patches & textures.