Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Favourite custom monster

I've searched the forums and I was suprised to see this has never been raised before. Favourite everthing elses have.

I like the Hell Rose. You don't get any stationary monsters in Doom, which makes it unique in itself. The tentacle/thorns attack is cool too. It brings a slightly new slant to gameplay. Like the Archville and Pain Elemental did in Doom 2.

It's not particulary tough but that's OK. There's an unbalanced amount of Boss level monsters in the resources anyway.

Yes, it's technically a flower but I think it rocks.

I guess I'll start. There are three that come to mind for me.

1. My all-time favorite custom enemy is the Afrit because Doom only has 3 other flying foes, so I like there being a more powerful fying enemy; plus they look sweet and fit perfectly in hell-style maps.

2. Another cool one is Thamuz. I'm not exactly certain why that is, but it stands out to me. It's probably because his color shceme is so different compared to other demons that you could make some interestingly themed maps to fit Thamuz in.

3. I don't believe this enemy has a name, but I also like the boss-class enemy that looks like a giant bulldemon with spiked shields on its arms. It attacks like an arch-vile except twice as quickly. It was in island2.WAD if you know what I'm referring to. Again, I like how it changes up the gameplay just like arch-viles.

The Stalker finally something that can kill you besides the slime you walk through imo very original and its the only swimming monster I know of and it can scare the shit out of you in darker areas.

Hmm...

Thamuz - Deadly as hell, attacks that are 20%, 90% and 210% damage (no armour) and agree on colour scheme.

Archon of Hell - Not sure why, but it seems to stand out and make deadly force using both claws for firing.

Afrit - Flyer, massive shooter, hard to kill, the typicle monster needed more often.

I agree with everyone when it comes to the Afrit (Flying Baron) from DVII. Someone make me a slaughter map with a crapload ov those guys...

Other decorates ov note:

-Bruiserdemon from KDiZD, Cheogsh. I dunno but I really enjoy facing these guys...prolly the only reason why I play KDiZD nowadays...

-Forgot the name ov the Pain Elemental/Lost Soul variants (from Altar666.WAD for example)...the ones that shoot the homing blood projectiles...

I always liked the Satyr from KDIZD for some reason. The Nightmare (also in KDIZD) is also kinda cool; I'm surprised no one's used it in a full-fledged horror wad yet (to my knowledge, anyway).

Of the few I've seen I like the zombieman in a tank, the lost soul that fires a wave of energy on the ground and the really fast mini-cacodemon. 'mr x' is too hard/fast for me/keyboarder.

Is there a wad that has pretty much all custom monsters in it?

ideas for monsters, maybe already been done:
* something that is immune to all infighting
* maybe a black phantomy thing that has idclip and sometimes teleports
* something that fires 'arachnotron while you have invisibility' style'

gggmork said:

ideas for monsters, maybe already been done:
* maybe a black phantomy thing that has idclip and sometimes teleports

I don't believe this has been done, but for the love of all Doom, adding this thing will automaticly kill you cause it can go anywhere, I don't like that idea sadly. :S

-Edit- Stick with the Ghouls Forest for those anyway except not black and phantomy.

Let me just ask, since I cannot give any objective reply, where can one download new custom monsters? Are there any huge batch full of them?

Jim Rainer said:

Oh, and this should be in the doom general forum.

Really? I thought custom monsters are classed as mods.

Probably the plasma-shooting blue guys from DSV, back before i knew about code pointers in Dehacked i thought it was amazing there was another creature that could shoot arachnotron shots, but with arachnotrons still being present. There's a few other altered enemies in DSV but it's graphics/sounds only.

The "uppercut" revenants from ALLHELL are fun too, though god knows how they did it, somehow turning the archvile's attack into a melee one with no "charge up"

And i'll always have a soft spot for my own Storm Demon, especially with the modified lightning using EDGE's new lighting system. I ought to edit the actual 666hell.wad and not just expect people to dig up that abandonware wad i posted in EE a while back

i like diabolist. that thing is a challenge. especially 2 of them.

i also like the original graphics monsters.

Ack... I need more Afritz..

Besides Scythe 2, Zaero, and Zdoom Community Map is there any other good wads with afrits?

Hellish Godzilla said:

I always liked the Satyr from KDIZD for some reason. The Nightmare (also in KDIZD) is also kinda cool; I'm surprised no one's used it in a full-fledged horror wad yet (to my knowledge, anyway).

Check out Cheogsh...there's a large maze section about 2/3rds into the map (which doesn't appear on your automap) filled with them and Revs.

Inferno said:

Ack... I need more Afritz..

Besides Scythe 2, Zaero, and Zdoom Community Map is there any other good wads with afrits?

Deus Vult II...idclev to the hell levels and have fun...**

Khaoscythe said:

Check out Cheogsh...there's a large maze section about 2/3rds into the map (which doesn't appear on your automap) filled with them and Revs.

Heh, I forgot about Cheogsh. I'll have to go back and play it sometime.

Back on topic, I also really like the Hellsmith and the Infernal Spider.

gggmork said:

Is there a wad that has pretty much all custom monsters in it?

Phocas Island 2

@Hellish Godzilla - Also The City of the Damned: Apocalypse. That level is sorta like Silent Hill - deserted town (apart from cultists), with a siren that goes off every now and then. When the siren goes, "Uber Sirens" appear throughout the level and slaughter everything in sight (there really fast and kill in basically one hit).

Come to think of it, even though it should be in the 'summoning monsters' thread, that's a monster that is fun to load into a level as a friend. Just sit back, and watch a group of them plow through the enemies in nuts.

Also, I forgot, another monster with a cool attack is the 'Maelstrom' from Xaser's "Zen Dynamics".

Hellish Godzilla said:

The Nightmare (also in KDIZD) is also kinda cool; I'm surprised no one's used it in a full-fledged horror wad yet (to my knowledge, anyway).

last year, i started converting a horror story i wrote into a zdoom mod, composing some good, tense music and sfx for it as well (by profession, i'm a sound designer) but i have since put it on hold while i learn to map better. i plan on using the nightmare in it.

my favorite custom monster is also the afrit because it feels like an official monster, and imo, Doom's gameplay can only be improved with the addition of a stronger flying enemy.