Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jobro

My sky textures looks simply crappy!

So I use Corel Draw to draw textures, and when converted to Doom they look sort of cool. But how do I apply these sky textures so they remain nice looking?

Do you mean that Doom's pallete is raping them? Well if your using ZDoom or GZDoom, I think you can bypass this by saving and importing it as a .png. Not sure about other ports though.

If you are mapping for a port without True Color support you either have to live with it or design with the Doom palette in mind. Making a nice image in a modern graphics editor and hoping it will just work out won't do.

That depends what you use them for.

2D graphics like HUD, status bar and menu can be displayed in True Color. For in-game graphics they will be downconverted to the palette. Of course you should not forget that if you leave the PNG as it is, both GZDoom and Skulltag will use the full color range. But if you downconvert it these ports will be forced to use the inferior version as well.

So are there any way one can translate a picture into Doom'z palette? I'm using SkullTag but I'm intrested to learn more.

What I do, using Paint, is open a picture extracted from Doom2.wad, paste the wanted image on it, then save the file as something else, probably still under 256 color bitmap, gif or something like that.

Is there a way to import the Doom pallete into something like GIMP? I think I've heard it being done before, but my ignorance on the subject is pretty incredible.

Yeah, and CorelDraw would be ultra cool since I'm using it and I'm quite good at it.

Upload the image and let me play with it. As long as it's not purple or yellow, I might be able to do something with it.

Back in the day I used Paintshop Pro. It has a feature where you can save a palette from an image to a file and load that palette to another image. Worked perfectly for me. Only downside is that PSP isnt free.

Mechadon said:

Is there a way to import the Doom pallete into something like GIMP? I think I've heard it being done before, but my ignorance on the subject is pretty incredible.

It can be done. Use XWE to export the Doom palette, open the GIMP palette list, right-click on any palette and select "Import Palette", select "Palette_file" as the source and browse to where XWE saved the palette (an .act file) - if sucessful it should preview in the import requestor, give it a name and click "Import".