Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Butts

scaling down textures

how do i make a texture, say its 256x256 and i want it high res and scaled down to 128x128 for in-game/editing?

Google for easy graphic converter. It can quickly batch convert files, and can both resize to an exact size, and to a "best fit" to a size. It's also freeware.

I don't think the last two threads are fully addressing your issue. You sound like you want to scale a texture to display in half size but still keeping its resolution in game. If you reduce the size of the image in an image editor and bring it in to your wad, it will be a reduced-quality scaled down image that will be blurry and not any sort of higher resolution.

ZDoom lets you scale flats, I'm not sure if it has the same ability for walls.

I don't know how to do it in XWE (I'm sure there's a way), but I know that in SLumpEd, you can set a texture's x and y scaling in the TEXTURE1 lump. I think you can also use a special "HIRESTEX" lump to define stuff if your hi-res textures are being loaded from between TX_START/TX_END markers (without PNAMES/TEXTURE1 lumps).

XWE does this.

For Textures ... Open up the wad and look for the Textures Tab. Click it and you will see the textures.You will see the columns x scale and y scale. For your 256x256 texture change x to 128 and your y to 128. Pseudo "hires".

For Flats ... If you have a flat at 256x256 click on the Floors tab. The go to Image ... Save as Doom Flat. It will now render as a 64x64 flat "hires" .

Mancubus II said:

If you reduce the size of the image in an image editor and bring it in to your wad, it will be a reduced-quality scaled down image that will be blurry and not any sort of higher resolution.

Some algorithms allow a decent scaling down without major loss in resolution (especially if you start with a hi-res version). Wally's scale down function works reasonably well for .png format images. The limitation is that image dimensions need to be in multiples of 16; failing that, the Adjust Canvas Size/Auto 16 feature can be used to make the image's dimensions conform - you'll simply need to crop the image after scaling.

ZDoom lets you scale flats, I'm not sure if it has the same ability for walls.

Indeed, ZDooM allows textures to be scaled down as well. It just won't allow scaling of patches - the entire texture needs to be scaled, and individual patches in multi-patch textures cannot be independently scaled.