Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

ss:se opinions

For anyone who doesn't know yet, a demo version of Serious Sam: Second Encounter was released early today.

The demo is 110mb and can be downloaded from the following locations:

http://download.bonusweb.cz/dema/serioussamtscdemo.exep

http://filefront.gnutelliums.com/demos/SeriousSamSEDemo.exe

http://www.3dgamer.ru//cgi-bin/drug/down.pl?full=download/demos/serioussam2/SeriousSamSEDemo.exe.zip&end=1

[b]For snaps from the demo:

http://www.ve3d.com/comments.taf?postID=23782

Impressions, comments are welcome!

Bah. They could use that engine for a real game.

That game is so primitive gameplay-wise it's even more simplistic than DooM. DooM's about fighting hordes of demons, true, but at least you get a sense of progression.

SS's nothing more than entering a bigass room, wait for 350 guys to respawn, kill them all, proceed to the next spawn-ready arena, and so on...

SS's nothing more than entering a bigass room, wait for 350 guys to respawn, kill them all, proceed to the next spawn-ready arena, and so on...

doesn't get any better then that

doesn't get any better then that

I love story driven, RPG influenced FPSs like Deus Ex, but I do enjoy the kind of carnage you get in SS, specially in Coop.

But the game's like redoing the same test over and over. There is no real archievement.

many people comparing SS to DOOM.but i think not,it's true that both game is the same fast frag-fest type game.but something that SS lacks is level design.large room and hall way ,large outddor area.the level design in DOOM is much way better.and like Zldron said the SS don't have sense of "progession".

however CO-OP mode is fun.

The demo kept me happy for an hour or two, even if it is just Serious Sam with some new stuff. You've got to admit it looks much cooler than the original - the green, lush jungle setting is a good change from the sandy pyramids of the first game. The new weapons are cool, though the new monsters seem a bit lame to me.

And despite the fact that I hate Kleer Skeletons, Croteam put like 500 of them in this map. Grrr.

Coolest thing about the demo is the room with the curvy floor and the weird gravity. You'll know it when you see it.

I'd download if it wasn't for the fact that I'd hog up over 1/4 of the MB a month limit on this shitty ISP my dad's with...

I would download it, except for the fact that this is a crappy little 56k modem, which sucks when it comes to downloading enormous demos like SS2's. 110 megabits?!?!?!
/me swoons

I played the first 7 (or so) levels from Serious Sam, found it a fun little game with some nice ideas, but I had no motivation to finish it, because the gameplay is so damn repetitive. I agree with Zaldron here.

Except the monster hordes and some similar weapon concepts I didn´t found it very similar to Doom. The athmosphere is quite different, it´s more like Duke Nukem on acid in a great looking Egyptian scenerie :) That´s cool, but the gameplay...I really found the neverending monster hordes annoying, it felt like you were in a locust plague. In Doom it never was annoying like this. Anyway, in my opinion S. Sam is a good, simple and fun game, but not my cup of tea.

I think it's insane fun with the hordes of monsters... but yeah, it gets too much. I prefer when there are exploration parts too.

The engine seems all sweet. They claim that it can handle maps of a size up to 1000 cubic miles. This number makes me wonder... the demo map couldn't be more than 5 or so (though it's just a "small" demo map :). But 1000 cubic miles? You realize that you could theoretically recreate a full-scale normal size country with it?

In either case, it is awesome. I've thought about making Vrack 4 for it. Then it could get... big... and feature fancy gravity effects =)

That's intresting, fred :)

*starts making the worlds biggest map for an FPS... EVER* :D

Anyway, SS was great, this probably will be as well.. but there's no way i can download 110 MegaBYTES on my ISDN at $1\hour :(

The engine seems all sweet. They claim that it can handle maps of a size up to 1000 cubic miles. This number makes me wonder... the demo map couldn't be more than 5 or so (though it's just a "small" demo map :). But 1000 cubic miles? You realize that you could theoretically recreate a full-scale normal size country with it?

That would require some wicked memory management and visibilty calculations, though it is a cool idea. Like IDBEST.WAD, which was Doom's entire Episode 1 thrown into one big level. And the 64-player DM maps for Quake 2, which put like three or four maps from the single player game in one.