Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Haloless0320

The best worst game played

I was sitting there thinking to myself about all the games I've played in my life.And some of them I thought were the best dispite the fact that they just crashed and burned in ratings.(I'm also bored out of my mind and trying to stay occupied till I get more cigs)
-Secret of evermore
-Seven Kingdoms(It didn't so much as suck in ratings,it was just shadowed by Starcraft and C&C)
-Seventh Legion
Can't think of anymore,the caffine's starting to wear off.

Sorry guy, but who the fuck cares about ratings these days.

Most game reviewers nowadays come across like the kind of corporate shills hired to write those gushing quotes they put on the boxes of the next failed Hollywood blockbuster.

The whole press part of the gaming business is essentially untrustworthy (and thus not worth your or my time).

Little Faith said:

Most game reviewers nowadays come across like the kind of corporate shills hired to write those gushing quotes they put on the boxes of the next failed Hollywood blockbuster.

The whole press part of the gaming business is essentially untrustworthy (and thus not worth your or my time).

Yeah, with all the issues going on in the game media lately (like the whole Gamespot fiasco), I really don't really care about what they say anymore.

Little Faith said:

Quoted for truth

Daikatana has a great ambience. Shame for the saving system, the not-enough-developped-on-AI sidekicks and the bugs which keep the gameplay questionable. I got stuck at one place, with something like 4% health, and that superfly idiot kept behind because I had to take a crawlway.

It's like Doom in that:
- it shows the character's face on screen
- buttons are activated with push, not mere touch (Doom doom doom)

Star COntrol 2 comes from a time before there were game reviews, but it's pretty obscure (or was until they made it freeware) yet one of the finest games I ever played. There are also some kind of bad, cheesy, obscure games which have a special place in my heart, like Majesty, Magic: the Gathering (the 1997ish game), and Gangsters: Organized Crime.

Haloless0320 said:

-Seventh Legion

Ew.

Dark Colony was a guilty pleasure though

Most games in the late-mid90s were rated low for its role in the market as a 'clone'.

Darkstar One is my second favourite Privateer-style game (after X3), but got panned by most of the press.

Of course, there are also games that the media loved, but which barely anyone bought. Examples include pretty much every game ever made by Looking Glass Studios (especially System Shock 1).

As for bias in the media, my faith got restored when three of the most heavily hyped Sony-developed PS3 games, namely Lair, Heavenly Sword, and Folklore, all got trashed by the British magazines in the same month... including by the PlayStation Official Magazine (UK).

Some of the later-PS2 Armored Core releases got pretty bad reviews. I can't say how the other games in the series faired with reviews...but all I know is it's one of my all-time favorite games next to Doom.

I've got Armored Core 4, and it's ok (definitely not my favorite in the series, they changed a lot of the game dynamics which almost makes it feel like a 3rd person FPS...(uh oxymoron?))...not sure what other folks here think about that series, but if you've got a 360/PS3 then you may have run across AC4. If you like it, I suggest you grab AC:Master of Arena (PS1) as I'd say it's probably the best in the series. Armored Core 3: Silent Line is probably the best PS2 release of the game.

I'd have to say that the Battlezone series games are my favorite "worst" games. (PC only, not the old Atari games or that "Q3:A" of the series for the PSP (DM only basically))

They were continuously berated by reviewers because of the bugs caused by them both being rushed out the door, but still, awesomely great games nonetheless.

For some reason I can't get enough of games with FPS gameplay in the vein of Serious Sam, even when reviewers or general players found it to be stale and not innovative after SS:FE.
Includes Second Encounter, Serious Sam 2(after getting past the cartoony style I loved this game), Will Rock, Painkiller(BooH), & the recent Painkiller:Overdose.

Steeveeo said:

I'd have to say that the Battlezone series games are my favorite "worst" games. (PC only,

those are highly rated actually :/ but they're quickly forgotten as soon as half-life entered the market, but you'd bet your ass this would have been game of the year instead if hl was delayed for a month and a day

Agreed, Postal 2 and Apocalypse Weekend are great games. If you have AW, get the mod A Week In Paradise for it, a few new areas, and plenty of new weapons. I love Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth as well, and it generally got decent reviews, but didn't get much publicity. I also liked Blood 2, although most folks seem to hate it with a vengeance, the first Blood was better, but Blood 2 is still fun. I don't pay much attention to reviews though, if a game sounds interesting I'll download the demo or rent it, regardless of the reviews it's gotten.

Hopefully Postal 3 will be good, but I have some reservations about it. I liked the first person in the second one, it seemed to work very well for postal, I generally don't care much for 3rd person shooters with the exception of the resident evils and silent hills. Then the fact that most the people that worked on the first and second ones were temps, I think there's only two or three people from postal 2 working on the new one, and all the level design has been hired on from folks in Russia. Hopefully the creative, off the wall, fucked up humour will continue in a form that you can play several times over and not get bored with.

Coopersville said:

Shadowrun (360) is one of my favourite games of all time.

Shadowrun for the SNES is one of my favorite games of all time. I've never tried it for the 360 though.

Also, does anyone remember Witch Haven? That game was awful, but I enjoyed it for some reason.

Yes, I remember Witchaven and Witchaven 2, I still have them somewhere. I actually did enjoy playing them, but I can't seem to get them to run anymore. I'll have to find my old cd's and see if I can get them to run on XP.

I also have Shadowrun for SNES, I never got that far in it though, and now my SNES decided to crap out. I think it's the AC adapter, although a console running for 15 years without a breakdown is still pretty impressive. I did like Shadowrun, I'll have to get the snes fixed and finish it, it reminded me of fallout, or vice versa.

Steeveeo said:

I'd have to say that the Battlezone series games are my favorite "worst" games. (PC only, not the old Atari games or that "Q3:A" of the series for the PSP (DM only basically))

They were continuously berated by reviewers because of the bugs caused by them both being rushed out the door, but still, awesomely great games nonetheless.

Battlezone 2099? Isn't that freeware now?

It was an interesting concept and pretty innovative in it's day, but I found the implementation a bit lacking.

Hmm, well over on the Click community (home made games creators using "Click" software like Multimedia Fusion) somebody once uploaded a game called "Golf Cart Racing", in which they had given the 'golf cart' (a white rectangle) the PLATFORMER movement, as soon as you started the game it just fell off the bottom of the screen.... and that was it! what would make somebody consider that a "finished game"? it was so terrible it's stuck in my mind when various other decent games i played have been forgotten

i loved ultima8 back in the day, as terrible as the gameplay mostly is.
i just had so much fun running around the world stealing stuff and doing necromancy. in fact, the entire necromancy questline i still replay to this day.

i also really liked Stonekeep.

as much as this game isn't generally looked down upon (quite the opposite) i just have to throw a bone to Wing Commander II. I played more hours of that game than any other besides Doom and Morrowind.

Danarchy said:

Battlezone 2099? Isn't that freeware now?

It was an interesting concept and pretty innovative in it's day, but I found the implementation a bit lacking.

Hmm, never heard of 2099, only (for BZ1): Rise of the Black Dogs (N64), Red Oddessy (PC), Battlezone (PC); (for BZ2): Battlezone 2: Combat Commander, Forgotten Enemies (Massive community made mod), and a ton of mods.

None of them freeware (cept FE, since its a mod), and I guess I better go check out Battlezone 2099, because BZ1 and BZ2 were awesomely implemented Action+RTS hybrids (if not for hilariously/frustratingly stupid AI)

Little Faith said:

No,no,no...I'm not talking about the rating from like game mags and shit,I mean like a game that you thought was awesome but no one else seemed to enjoy it.I guess I should have clarified that first bit.

Kid Airbag said:

Also, does anyone remember Witch Haven? That game was awful, but I enjoyed it for some reason.

It's a great game. Can't get into Witchaven 2 though, might be that I'm running it through dosbox.

Another game that was enjoyable was Cyclones,kick ass game.

Jello said:

I love Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth as well, and it generally got decent reviews, but didn't get much publicity.

Ah,that game is one of my all time favorites.Theyre supposed to come out with a sequel to dark corners of the earth.Other COC games were coming out but they were canned.

I've played so many games that have been scorned I can't list them all. I happen to be a B-game enthusiast, which is how I rationalize having bad taste in games. ;p

One game I have been playing through again lately is KISS: Psycho Circus. It was generally panned for not having enough KISS and feeling generic, but it's actually a pretty good "classic" FPS. It also did the monster horde mechanic before Serious Sam did while having better level design. SS mostly consisted of open arenas and very few claustrophobic sequences.

Jello said:

Agreed, Postal 2 and Apocalypse Weekend are great games. If you have AW, get the mod A Week In Paradise for it, a few new areas, and plenty of new weapons. I love Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth as well, and it generally got decent reviews, but didn't get much publicity. I also liked Blood 2, although most folks seem to hate it with a vengeance, the first Blood was better, but Blood 2 is still fun. I don't pay much attention to reviews though, if a game sounds interesting I'll download the demo or rent it, regardless of the reviews it's gotten.

I agree with everything you just said. Those games rock and those cheap fucks at GameWhatever can't find fun even if they had a stripper.

Another good game is No More Heros. It's not a bad game per-say but, the plot was just so bad it was funny.

I play World of Warcraft, and everyone around here seems to think it's total shit.

The original Ghostbusters game for the C64. I liked it because it actually involved catching ghosts, which is something that's been missing from pretty much every other Ghostbusters video game incarnation (with the exception of the upcoming Ghostbusters game).