@Katamori
I wish I made them! Lol. Anyway, for this map I'm using:
cc4-tex (an outdated version I think)
cage_tex
the texures from Claustrophobia 1024
marinecorpses
doompotpourri
decontex

I like having a large palette to use. :)

Agree, I also love using the biggest possible palette. :)

I used also an outdated cc4-tex WAD, but I added some custom stuff, like recoloured Doom 2 textures and skies.

Simon666 said:

*picture*

This is amazing. I love that little "fade to blue" effect or whatever.

Katamori said:

I love that little "fade to blue" effect or whatever.

I love that, too, but I love the fact less that these effects are not available in ZDoom in Doom format -.-

Simon666 said:

No offense, but this looks flat and fairly messy. The first step is to get rid of that jarring candy-cane warning stripe on the floor. The red clashes with the rest of the room in a big way.

Cell said:

I love that, too, but I love the fact less that these effects are not available in ZDoom in Doom format -.-

Doesn't matter, had mapping. :D

esselfortium said:

I'd be more inclined to consider 3d floors fake portals.

Similarly, I consider platforms to be fake stairs. Also, Strife is fake Hexen.

Simon666 said:

img

i think if anything is especially messy, it's really only the texture alignment, but that's a minor fix. even if the room itself is flat, it could give the room some more depth if you raised the ceiling a fair amount and added some big beams going across the ceiling that branch off of the green structure in the middle somehow. i dunno

I was actually pretty damn lucky there. The Baron guarding the blue key was previously injured by that imp whose fireball is seen on the right. That's why I could get away with letting him close.

Anyways (addressed to everyone else as well), the fact that the level is able to be fit in a rectangle is due to its plan being almost seven years old, whilst I was 12 and drew 36 plans into a checked exercise book. By now, 5 of them are done (but actually, I'm going to renovate all four maps of E4 done so far) and E4M5 is inhibited since September 2009. Gotta get enough of explanations, I'm gonna open a thread for this!

Nice shots Katamori - I like the interior shot the best. The outside areas could stand to be lit up a tiny bit. Even with night sky textures, I'd try to keep the levels above 144. That should leave you enough room where your bright lights will have enough contrast and still get the nice diminished lighting effect in the distance.

Ed said:

Nice shots Katamori - I like the interior shot the best. The outside areas could stand to be lit up a tiny bit. Even with night sky textures, I'd try to keep the levels above 144. That should leave you enough room where your bright lights will have enough contrast and still get the nice diminished lighting effect in the distance.

Thanks! Actually the outside isn't finished yet and the current light colour is 128. You may be right, it's a bit dark to a sunset map.

Cell said:

*map picture*

It looks like something from Obituary. A lot of maps have that kind of "square" outlook; and I don't mean that in a bad way.

Cell said:

Music: Perfect Dark by Iceplug

Attack Ship - Covert Assault by Iceplug from Perfect Dark. I probably should have been more specific had I known it was for that reason.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt237/capslockrivet/shot12112b.jpg
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt237/capslockrivet/shot12112c.jpg
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt237/capslockrivet/shot12112d.jpg

I just finished the fleshing out this room, thought I'd share. Lots and lots of tags. Sector usage is surprisingly small. Still haven't used any portals on this map yet.

Edit:
Skybox is one of my favorite parts. The mountain range is md2 geometry / skin. I had my doubts about how that would come out, but I think it works well. The sun is a stack of additive / normal lights. It also has a scrolling 3d under layer of clouds that when under the outer sunrays (normal light source) the under layer lights up, but drowns out the additive sphere. It's a really cool effect!

The really tall building is actually a 1024x384 mid-texture. It's pegged to the floor about 512 units and pierces the sky at 640. 240kb is a cheap price for a nice background piece.

Ed said:

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt237/capslockrivet/shot12112a.jpg

So nice.

EDIT: Aaaannnnnd I just looked at the other 3 pics. Godlike.

Ed said:

Still haven't used any portals on this map yet.

WHAAAAAAAAAA- *head explodes*

Looks awesome, ed. It makes me wanna delete everything I've ever worked on.

esselfortium said:

It's about time somebody made a GZDoom map.

Yeah, and a good one!

I suppose it's a little redundant to say it again, but holy shit ed that's amazing. In particular I really like the skybox you setup. Of course let's not discount the amazing architecture either :P

RjY said:

This layout is somehow incredibly suggestive of the parts of E2M2 that aren't a crate maze.

Partially you're right.

The crushers area is ungratefully similar.