Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Someone could find a way ;)

Perhaps Kaiser could add support for something like DECORATE? I'm sure there's an artist here who could create accurate sprites for the missing monsters.

But would adding the missing mosters to Doom 64 require some of them to have their powers pumped up like the mosters already in Doom 64 (arachnotron, pain elemental)?

double missile launch; one homing, one not. Shit's bout to get real.

40oz said:

Are you intentionally studying the details and architecture of the maps before you make levels or are you just kinda doing your own thing? I'm just asking because in a game like this it's difficult for me to detect individual mapping traits and it makes me wonder if there was a point in the doom community where a similar thing was happening in traditional custom PC Doom maps.

A little bit of both. Doom64's textures (mostly the space set) are very difficult to grasp and not as flexible to work with and limits to what you can do with your level compared to the original Doom's texture set. Because of this, they kinda dictate how the level is laid out. For example, since most textures are 64x64, they almost always look like crap in wide open or tall spaces. Yes you have the ability to do mirrored wrapping on the textures to give them a 128x128 appearance but it doesn't look right for most of the textures.

This level is an exercise just to see how far I can go with the texture set. The area shown in the last two screenshots was actually very difficult to make without looking like crap and it makes a good test case for how large you can make areas in Doom64. I spent more time picking the right textures than the layout or gameplay. I even had to expand/break up some parts to avoid excess texture tiling.

I have looked at the stock Doom64 levels a long time ago just to see how they use the space texture set. Surprisingly enough, not all space-themed flats and wall textures go well together. It also has a lot to do with the lighting as well. For example if you have a room lit with a bright-green color, odds are you want something that blends well with that color. So having a dark texture as the floor while the other wall/ceiling textures using a bright texture will guarantee to look like crap. I am also considering making new textures that are 64x128 and maybe mimic the look of some of Doom2's textures. Doom64 is in need of better space textures.

Marcaek said:

Someone could find a way ;)

Perhaps Kaiser could add support for something like DECORATE? I'm sure there's an artist here who could create accurate sprites for the missing monsters.

Decorate is planned but not in the upcoming 2.2 release.

Avoozl said:

But would adding the missing mosters to Doom 64 require some of them to have their powers pumped up like the mosters already in Doom 64 (arachnotron, pain elemental)?

When that happens, I will be VERY picky. The look of the Revenant must match the look and feel of the other enemy sprites. Also two homing rockets seems unbalanced so the Revenant should still shoot one missile but his appearance should be updated so that his armor has one launcher (maybe a mortar on his back?).

I stopped working on my previous map because I didn't have a continuation for it so I decided to put it away for a while and work on other things.

I started working on a small map that will connect between two episodes in case that I ever work on a wad so I'll have a nice map as map 11.

Kaiser said:

When that happens, I will be VERY picky. The look of the Revenant must match the look and feel of the other enemy sprites.

The chaingunner, too. I've seen some sprite edits using a red Doom64 player and some bits edited from the Doom II chaingunner... Sorry, but no. Also, arch-vile and, optionally, spider mastermind.

We have some talented modelers on this forum, who could probably create models with the Doom 64 look and feel. Then it's just a question of taking screencaps and tweaking the resulting sprites a bit. Of course, whether they want to work on the missing Doom 64 monsters is entirely up to them.

Kaiser said:

Also two homing rockets seems unbalanced so the Revenant should still shoot one missile but his appearance should be updated so that his armor has one launcher (maybe a mortar on his back?).

How about firing one homing rocket and a non-homing one? The monster could even have an asymmetrical design so the two launchers are visibly different. That way, they could have two different types of rockets, making it instantly obvious which one is homing and which one isn't.

dutch devil said:

Not sure if I finish this, its from my failed megawad attempt. But I would like to add it to the other 3 maps and release them. My motivation to map is quite bad atm, trying to get into it is proving to be difficult.
*PIC*

What's awesome about this shot is that it looks like you're going for a boom compatible map! I really like the lamp/light-post thingys.

a crazy speed mapping uses the doom 1 textures for vanilla domm i made just few hours ago... misses the enemies and i've just made this for testing this texture pack.... will works for vanilla doom 2....

dutch devil said:

its from my failed megawad attempt.

What about your attempt at making a megawad deems it a failure?

I can't keep things simple, the maps always turn out very big and detailed. It would be fine for a small set of maps, but making 32 of these maps is too damn time consuming. Maybe I attempt a vanilla style megawad someday, simple archtecture and low on detail. I might not use custom resources either to make it even more managable. Just work with what I have. But its not easy to stick to guidelines when making maps, so I don't know.

I've also wanted to do a vanilla style megawad with somewhat small levels and without custom resources as a side project.. but they've all kinda failed with too many new textures and too large levels.

Let's what happens with my new attempt. So far I just have one medium size level and Doom1 textures in Doom2 as a texture resource wad. I also use texture/flat mixing. It's sort of D1 E2M1, D2 MAP01 mix.

Definitely see the e2m1 influence in the third and fourth images. Looks cool though

I find it very pleasant visually, but however, textures STONE2 and STONE3 not aligned with the texture of the ceiling disturbs me a kinda, maybe it is wanted?

walter confalonieri said:

a crazy speed mapping uses the doom 1 textures for vanilla domm i made just few hours ago... misses the enemies and i've just made this for testing this texture pack.... will works for vanilla doom 2....

Iz the map shape intended?

Well, I wouldn't be able to align the textures to fit in every angle, so I didn't bother to align them at all.. and also I don't want go around doing rotated versions of every texture. I think flat alignment, texture rotation and scaling should have been possible in the level editor.

You can align flat/ceiling or even rotate them if you map
in Udmf format.
What port are you using for your map?

so I'm working with a the info criticism from my last map and improving on it i think this have come out ok it doesn't flow as well as I like but ill learn how to do that better eventually

Hey Jimi. Looking at the last image; I think you should change the ceiling-lights to the gold color instead of red, as it would match the machinery-textures nearby - and you could perhaps continue on with the rest of the ceiling-lights from there? That would be my advice...

I like the look of it.

Primeval and Ed. Looking Good. Primeval, that sky looks awesome.

Jimi, great shots, but I do agree with others when they say something has to be done with the alignment between the ceiling and the walls with that brick.

Also:

Making textures n' flats n' stuff. The room is just a useful little wad I keep for testing.

I meant more that that sky is a really good choice for that scene. I should have explained better. That screenie honestly makes me think of a Doom Vietnam mod. Or something like that.