Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Well, I suppose I may have to share.

A gentle start since it's been a decade since I've edited for Doom. This here be part of a level simply (and totally imaginatively) titled 'Hangar'.

Taking what lessons I learned back when from Murderous Intent and making this one a spacious bastard. It won't all be square areas like this, don't worry. ;)

You don't have to excuse credibility. So far I like what I see.

Next planning level of Hell's Eye Doom. City level with roofs and some interior while you have to dodge the rockets of a Cyberdemon. Inspired by "Death from Above" from A.L.T.

I hope I won't abandon this one too.

ComicMischief - I really like that. It has a sort of mysterious mid-90's PWAD feel to it (except with a rational layout), if only because I'm a sucker for night sky textures.

Katamori - That looks interesting. The only thing I've noticed (maybe you plan to do this later on or the pic was taken with IDBEHOLDL) is that everything seems uniformly lit. Maybe lowering the brightness values on the "terraces" of the big brown building would help to make its depth more pronounced?

ComicMischief - at first glance, that screenshot looked pretty bland for a teaser, but as I skim over it more closely it's hard to shake the feeling that the area just seems 'right.' Solid texture use, and solid design; more to the point, my mind is already populating it with various 'THINGS' so that I can imagine some really fun engagements going down.

StoneFrog said:

Katamori - That looks interesting. The only thing I've noticed (maybe you plan to do this later on or the pic was taken with IDBEHOLDL) is that everything seems uniformly lit. Maybe lowering the brightness values on the "terraces" of the big brown building would help to make its depth more pronounced?

I do light variants always in the last step =) and it's very very Work-in-progress yet.

StoneFrog said:

ComicMischief - I really like that. It has a sort of mysterious mid-90's PWAD feel to it (except with a rational layout), if only because I'm a sucker for night sky textures.

Thanks. The sky is only temporary, as I'll be knocking up a proper 'view of Mars from Phobos' one when I've done this map. I'm not aiming for a '90s feel per se, though...

schwerpunk said:

ComicMischief - at first glance, that screenshot looked pretty bland for a teaser, but as I skim over it more closely it's hard to shake the feeling that the area just seems 'right.' Solid texture use, and solid design; more to the point, my mind is already populating it with various 'THINGS' so that I can imagine some really fun engagements going down.

Thank you. I doubt this area is going to be any more detailed than you see here, what I'm concentrating on more is the gameplay -- the last .wad I made was Murderous Intent over ten years ago and want to have at least learned something from that -- taking into account the negative reviews and developing from them as feedback.

I am testing like a motherfucker as I go with this one, on all difficulties. Right now, I'm halfway through completing MAP01 (may be doing more, seeing how I go after this is done) and I can tell you there's currently an almost 1:1 ammo-monster ratio on UV, but this is offset a little with the berserk pack and chainsaw. Doing some other things too, which may either disappoint or surprise -- balance is my main concern here. Though, I am 'pecking away' at this on weekends only so it will take a while. :)

Tango said:

you map???!?!?!

that first shot looks pretty damn sweet.

Indeed I do map, and thank you kindly sir. :) All my mapping is done under the name Stormwalker. Here's a link to the project thread if you're interested.

Another floating corspe bug I found in Jenesis. The dead cacodemon is not actually floating because looking at it at a different angle will reveal that it's not really floating:

Lüt said:

OMG, JXT! WB!

Good to be back, sir. I saw in another thread that you still haven't finished Millenium? Oh man, I remember enjoying the hell out of the first twenty levels of that I was 'testing' on my very poor computer way back when. I have a slightly better one now. ;)

Grazza said:

I hadn't noticed - that's cool. Will he finish Jerkwad?

Oh. God. I can not apologise enough for that, I was on drugs (seriously).

Holy crap, I'm remembered.

Bad news for those of you who also have great memories for scene also-rans and wanted Murderous Intent 2 -- it's lost, on an old computer. I've had several since then; even been Mac and back, and regretted the whole sordid affair. Don't worry too much, I only ever made three maps and a whole shock of blurred textures (because I didn't know how to 'do' PhotoShop) that all wanted to be Quake 2. ;)

Just something I've been working on lately.
Started off as a e4m1 remake(maybe you will recodnise the first room) but I decidced to make it a map of its own because of how small the original map is.

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/756128Screen01.png
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/579854Screen02.png
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/969662Screen03.png

There, nothing to fancy for the moment, but hey, I'm getting somewhere ;)

Nice shots. Looking forward to trying this.

The first picture in this set in particular catches my eye. Very original ceiling and skybox setup, and the Hell doors neatly inset into that clean wall look really cool.

Those are the kind of rooms a Doomer might get excited about exploring. [:

Vordakk and Cosmic Mischief, loving those shots. Exactly the sort of levels I like to play these days.

Also TheTrigger, I am interested to see where that project goes.

It's the 667 Shuffle. A randomizer mod with a difference, in that it attempts to be vaguely sensible. It's gone through numerous revisions since early 2010 and I'm still working on it.

Shot 1 - Southern Cross Gold Edition
Shot 2 - Dissolution
Shot 3 - NDCP2
Shot 4 - Deus Vult

I never made the Gordon Freeman connection myself, although the baldy guy in shot 4 is wielding a crowbar ...

Oh my god! Mad scientists and evil nurses! We are sooo doomed!

Nice, but... Maybe a tetch bright? The transition from walls to sky is somewhat abrupt. I'm not sure what you're going for, but have you tried scaling down the sector brightness a bit, or maybe lightening the sky?

Any way, looks cool. Outdoor-looking areas still confound me. :S

Hmm, I dunno... E4 sky seems rather bright to me. I ever made maps with E3 sky and 255 brightness. And what do you think about that barrels from wolfenstain?

Imho the barrels look out of place and...too cartoonish maybe.

also I`ve always found the E4 sky to look kinda...not bright. More like sunset or something.

I wish I could get Cyberdemons to explode in sync more often.

This made me laugh. It's stupid, but just one of those 'easter egg'-type things that makes me crack a smile.

This is the end of that stupid fucking Super-Secret MAP32 in Doom II Reloaded. This 'reward' is worse than NES Ghostbusters' ending.

Scypek2 said:
And what do you think about that barrels from wolfenstain?

They remind me of something from Duke Nukem II (or maybe the original, I'm not sure). So do the fences, actually...