Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Pecking away slowly - Lots of work to be done.

Water foam fades out gradually over some 3 layers or semi-translucent, warp/anim water textures, each one with a different scaling. Along the edge, the light color gradients as it gets lower. Semi fog/murk effect. The base is semi-reflective as well, looks pretty cool in game.

Looking good. However that the "upper cut" in the wall above the logo makes it look like a bottle...

Jimi said:

Looking good. However that the "upper cut" in the wall above the logo makes it look like a bottle...

Maybe it's a brewery.

Jimi said:

CAN'T ... UNSEE ...

Stupid "heavy metal umlauts". Non-germans will never understand that those two dots make vowels not harder, but softer.

You probably mean: UACBRĂ„U (means: brewed by UAC).

Leviathan Brewing CO does have a nice ring to it. Story re-write!

Very inspiring screenshot ed... really looking forward to seeing that get released.

Anyway, I'm trying to get a Darkening E2 feeling by using Doom 2 & CC4 textures. I'd be using DE2 textures themselves if it weren't for those damn copyright permissions. :P

Well, that floor actually is from DE2 :P

(I'm pretty sure CC4-tex was put together before the copyright permissions on DE2's stuff were basically inverted <_>)

DeathevokatioN said:

if it weren't for those damn copyright permissions. :P

I find those conditions pretentious. I'll honour them anyway, but I'd have more respect for them if Darkening 2 had more personality and wasn't a mere Doom 2 megawad with original textures and no plot at all. Why would I make new DE2 maps if I don't know the backstory or the style to guide myself by?

I find such restrictions dumb anyway. If the textures aren't reused, then they just die once the popularity of the mod fades down.

I mean, if I made a mod with custom textures, I'd be proud if years later, in a "what are you working on/post your pictures" thread, there would be people commenting to other people, "wow, you're using the hypothetical textures; they look very great!" or similar.

Ed awesome shot! Must see more :D

And Deathevokation, you've got a nice shot there as well! I like that your using a good combination of different textures there but you still manage to make the scene look cohesive.

cool shot. the darkening e2 tex restrictions are really dumb, though. i completely fail to see the reason behind them; few would be stupid enough to try to pass them off as their own, and even if they did, it would be quickly pointed out within any subcommunity within the doom community. if it's enough to make people not use the textures, they're [Ola, i guess] shooting themselves in the foot with those restrictions

As the old Portuguese American saying goes, 'more better'.

Not really digging the hard line that cuts the building in the top right corner, but I really screwed myself with the water sectors. It would have been smarter to portal the water and leave myself some room to do an angular cut-around above/around the waterfall to give the building some depth. Too many tags to get into that without giving myself an aneurysm. C'est la vie.

Awesome shot ed. Can't wait to see what that water looks like in game. The magical floating railing surrounding it looks sort of out of place though. :P

EDIT: Never mind, it's gone.

esselfortium said:

A bunch of the Darkening E2 textures appear to be ripped Quake 2 resources, anyway, which further complicates the issue.

Combined with the music added for the second release of Darkening E2 being done by someone who we now know was a plagiarist, that makes the new licensing conditions especially ironic.

Plus, there's the problem of timing. There's nothing wrong with changing the licensing conditions for a WAD; creators are entitled to do what they want with their own material. To wait almost ten years to do it, however, after who knows how many WADs used those textures under the old conditions, is just plain silly.

printz said:

no plot at all

Personally, "There are monsters here. You should kill them." is all the plot I need or want in Doom :)

Capellan said:

Personally, "There are monsters here. You should kill them." is all the plot I need or want in Doom :)

haha yeah that is what doom is all about.

For some reason the light tan-brown wall textures coupled with the red-orange sky reminds me of the Doom 64 map Breakdown.