Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Memfis said:

Looks cool anyway imo. What this area needs is some horizon lines. If I'm not clear, take a look at this:
[1]
[2]
Isn't [2] like 1000 times better? It feels so much more open. Those things are very important for outdoor areas I think.

*high fives Memfis*

Varied sky height outdoors makes a huge difference, for sure. Helps the scene feel more three-dimensional and believable. It's really important in rock/landscape areas, too, to keep it from feeling like you're in a giant hole that was sharply and precisely carved out by lasers.

On the pipe debate, I agree with Avoozi: the tan color isn't a problem, but the pipes look strange and don't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I was thinking exactly what essel has said. The color of the pipes texture is just right, but the 'texture' of the texture could be better. Also, please tell me you are going to add pillars to the edges of those mid textures in the background there. But it is a really good shot overall.

And on a related note:

The more time goes on, the more I see the importance of ceilings. The right ceiling texture and height can add atmosphere and depth to just about any room.

Have been reworking some (read: all) of my TNT2 maps, and ceilings have been pivotal in that.

Old Ceiling:

New Ceiling:

Cages were the same height as surrounding walls:

But with the insertion of a raised 'sky' sector around each cage, they tower over the surrounding landscape:

Lol I didn't expect as much reaction as I got. Thanks =)

Probably I'm wrong, but I alway feel that the pipe-texture looks good for giant barrels/vats. As I can see in the posts, I'm wrong :D I'm gonna change the texture.

Memfis & essel: I know that trick you described, and I agree that it looks very nice, but there weren't any areas where I saw that I may/I can/I should use this technique. It just a small "courtyard" in the base that I plan for a bigger fight.

Also, this area is work in progress yet =)

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

But with the insertion of a raised 'sky' sector around each cage, they tower over the surrounding landscape:
[1]

That last shot screams for some casted shadows IMO. Would look great with that bright sky.

It works 100% too!

Almost.

the only problem with the shops right now is that there's nothing to prevent you from wasting money buying stuff you don't need

Work in progress, ignore misaligned textures.

This one will take me a while...

Looks awesome mouldy! Aligning marble can be a pain in the ass alot of the times.

cheers, yeah I'm finding that marble tricky in places. The whole map is a circular castle surrounding a central tower, so the angles are a bit of a headfuck as well.

exl said:

That last shot screams for some casted shadows IMO. Would look great with that bright sky.

Damn. Now that is a great suggestion. Consider it done. :)

NaturalTvventy said:

Dood. Unique and very cool, as always.

The only thing that doesn't sit with me is how thin the overhanging ceilings are. I feel like they should be at least 24 units thick, if not 32.

But otherwise, cool stuff. :)

Also @Mouldy. That is a fantastic screenie.

[edit] Also, just gonna post a couple of my favorite action screenies

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Dood. Unique and very cool, as always.

The only thing that doesn't sit with me is how thin the overhanging ceilings are. I feel like they should be at least 24 units thick, if not 32.

But otherwise, cool stuff. :)

Thanks brother! I swears the thin ceiling was inspired by some equally-thin ceiling in an IWAD somewhere that always struck me as unusual yet cool, but now for the life of me I can't find such a thing. Anywho, given the context, I rather like it.

Screenshot from my latest Strife project. I fucking love this game. :)

Edit: @NaturalTvventy: You've grown into the best abstract Doom level designer I've seen.

rf` said:

[very cool image]
It works 100% too!

Almost.

the only problem with the shops right now is that there's nothing to prevent you from wasting money buying stuff you don't need

sir, i love you. you MUST send me your work when it is done!

dannebubinga said:

mouldy: very nice! will it play just as good as it looks?

I will be throwing monsters at it until it does, only my 2nd map though so god knows..

I am absolutely enamored by your us of organic textures on the ground mouldy (like the final room of your first map). It's very distinct, mesmerizing, and creepy all at the same time.

EDIT: I also love hell-themed maps, so anything SP_HOT and SKSNAKE related makes me gush.

I just made a custom TITLEPIC. I kinda like it, honestly. Less is more. The simplicity of it makes it look bold, aside from the strong contrast between foreground and background.

EDIT: And a newer version.

Sodaholic said:

Yet another revision.
*DAT IMAGE*

I was always thinking of how one makes writings like that (font, color, etc.) is written and says "UNMAKER EDITION".

darkreaver said:

Where is the background from? I`m just assuming you didnt draw it.

It's the INTERPIC from No Rest For The Living.

As for the TITLEPIC images themselves, I like the first one most; I'd like it more if the logo was centred.

Cell said:

I was always thinking of how one makes writings like that (font, color, etc.) is written and says "UNMAKER EDITION".

tienerdisco.net/aap/DoomWord.zip]DoomWord usually does the trick.

WIP areas from map 17 of TNT2.

It will surprise approximately nobody that bad things will happen when you grab the yellow key.

I kinda like how the pillars extend into the sky here.

This room looks much cooler in game than in this screen. But here it is anyway. Lots of brown and stairs and computers and stuff.