Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Someone made a Heretic map recently so it made me want to try too. Started this on Friday night... maybe I'll finish it :P

(They're thumbnails, click em!)

Thumb... nails? What is this manner of witchcraft?

(Looks good. The wall texture is a bit repetitive in the first shot, but I know you don't have much of a choice with stock Heretic resources.)

These thumbnail things are pretty nifty, yeah.

Uhm, yeah I could probably spice up that wall of squares yeah! I've never really worked with the heretic textures in any serious way before so I'm kinda learning as I go. There aren't a lot of them, but they actually work pretty well for creating different themes and all (as Curse of D'sparil proves). In other words, there is no excuse for my lack of luster!

Perhaps flat variation for that room, since varying the heights would account for a rather bumpy jog across the floor. I'd originally had the floors recessed several units so that I could add a wood flat to offset that sea of grey.. maybe I'll just do that again.

So I was feeling like modeling something simple. Let's see how it goes...

Shooting some imps here...

Mmm.. it's some HK MP7 PDW inspired weapon meant to replace the pistol. It's a bit faster and fires as soon as you press the fire key. I don't like those little delays...

The UV map and texture are still some crap, but I'll at least have a proper UV map later. Don't know if the texture is going to have much detail, that part I often screw up. Muzzleflash texture turned out quite nice, worked almost 10 mins on it :P It was inspired by Heretic Phoenix flash and the pistol flashes in Equilibrium.

Cell said:

You mean it's for the slot MAP07?

It isn't actually, although that's a pretty good idea. It is a sort of arena map though.

Trying to learn how to make stuff for Doom, here's before an after pics!

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2382/screenshotdoom201211011.png

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2382/screenshotdoom201211011.png

I'm relying on the Doom 2 IWAD right now though, gonna have to find some tutorials on making PWADS.

It's fun making simple texture replacements though, good way to relax from all the assignments I been doing.

Looks like some kind of tron cyberspace place. Yea, simpler stuff is more fun to do.

--

Well, I made another model. Again the texture and UV map is just some crap... but wanted to try it ingame already.

This time it's a Lance and it replaces the Fist. It's faster and uses 2x A_Punch, so it's more useful even if player doesn't have Berserk.

SweatyGremlins said:

Trying to learn how to make stuff for Doom, here's before an after pics!

~screens~

I'm relying on the Doom 2 IWAD right now though, gonna have to find some tutorials on making PWADS.

It's fun making simple texture replacements though, good way to relax from all the assignments I been doing.

You know, i would totally play a level/wad in the style of that second screen. It really does look like something out of TRON or some other retro virtual reality. I remember totally loving TRON 2.0.

That helicopter landing pad looks like an absolute death trap, even without considering the giant pillar sticking up for the helicopter to impale itself on.

It's a landing pad for hollowcopters.

But seriously, I don't see why such a structure would be recessed in the ground, or have computer screens on the sides.

Security system for unauthorized landing.

That's the only logical way i can put my head around it.

Gez said:But seriously, I don't see why such a structure would be recessed in the ground, or have computer screens on the sides. [/B]

So the soldiers can jump on facebook straight after they land!

I changed the shotgun from Purple\Cyan to Black\Cyan, looks more occult now.

This little TC will actually take a lot of work, never modded or made maps... or music for Doom before :O

Map design with all those lines will be tricky, everything has to align properly. I think I will finally be able to give epilepsy to the Doom community though!

Disco! Disco! Disco!

Antroid said:

You know, i would totally play a level/wad in the style of that second screen

Check out the secret maps from "Survive in Hell" then. :)

Esselfortium and Gez: lol, I didn't even think about it...there might be a good idea to raise the level of the floor - I did it to make the pad closed for the Cyberdemon fight but the fences already did it actually.

Wait, does it even necessary to close the player? Or there would be better to fight with the cyberdemon on that small "walley"? What's your opinion?

Anyway, I think the computers are okay: navigation system and things like that.

Katamori said:

Esselfortium and Gez: lol, I didn't even think about it...there might be a good idea to raise the level of the floor - I did it to make the pad closed for the Cyberdemon fight but the fences already did it actually.

Wait, does it even necessary to close the player? Or there would be better to fight with the cyberdemon on that small "walley"? What's your opinion?

Anyway, I think the computers are okay: navigation system and things like that.

I say leave it, it looks cool.

Reminds me of the random setups you see in things like Transformers or G.I. Joe. Not meant to be realistic, just look cool and complicated!

Gez said:

It's a landing pad for hollowcopters.

But seriously, I don't see why such a structure would be recessed in the ground, or have computer screens on the sides.

It's a nightclub for holograms. I wonder what the pole dancers look like.

Peoples still trying to make sense out of Doom, bleehhhhh:P
It's like trying to find the g-spot on a woman, it's just a myth, but
you may still try to make sense out of the myth if that amuse you! :)

Haha Simon, it's right and funny :D anyway, not realism is the only reason why I changed it. I noticed that the helipad area is too small and has too many obstacles for a cyberdemon fight.

SweatyGremlins said:

you'd better switch as soon as possible, I would already have a megawad released if I hadn't used a modified IWAD. Now I can't get it to work when I'm trying to remove all that IWAD-esque crap.

Jimi said:
Well, I made another model. Again the texture and UV map is just some crap... but wanted to try it ingame already.

This time it's a Lance and it replaces the Fist. It's faster and uses 2x A_Punch, so it's more useful even if player doesn't have Berserk.

Nice, just out of interest what program do you use to create these models?

Scypek2 said:

you'd better switch as soon as possible, I would already have a megawad released if I hadn't used a modified IWAD. Now I can't get it to work when I'm trying to remove all that IWAD-esque crap.

Yeah I got the impression it's better to do things properly from the ground up with Doom. After exams I'll go through some of the Tutorials out there, there's a lot of support for ZDoom modding thankfully :)

Scypek2 said:

1. Get an SVN build of SLADE 3.
  2. Set the original (unmodified) version of the IWAD that you have modified as the Base Resource Archive.
  3. Open your modified version of the IWAD.
  4. Archive -> Maintenance -> Remove entries duplicated from IWAD
Note: this will not affect maps (comparison is harder since they are made of several lumps) or markers (which are empty).