Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Nice marbles Malinku! I like the grey and green marble textures used in conjunction like that. The second shot could probably benefit from some more ceiling architecture of some sort to break up the big, empty areas.

Also you've got a texture misalignment there to the far right :P

walter confalonieri: looks interesting, even if I don't know jack about what makes a good MP map. Doom Builder shots generally make me wish there was a 'Height Mode' classic view option, like the 'Brightness Mode' that showed different elevations of floors using a coloured gradient. How about some in-game screenies?

Malinku: Very nice marble, indeed! I was going to suggest you mix up the colours a bit, but then I saw your second screenshot, so I guess you're on the right track. Oh, and in the second screenshot, is that another building in the distance that I'm seeing through the skylight? That is SO COOL.

BloodyAcid: Kind of reminds me of the tram area from Dead Space. In a good way. Very, very snazzy & sharp looking. *Thumbsup.*

Thanks, Memfis! It works pretty much perfectly.

In return, here's a screenshot of one of my favourite startles in BlueEagle's mapset, Unloved. [source]

darkreaver said:

Malinku: Nice, but I think not using the same flat for ceiling as for the floor would be beneficial.

The marble tile texture is one of the worst to use on both the floor and ceiling. But in the hour or so I worked on those areas I didn't have a good idea to mix it up so I left it.

@Mechadon
Still working on the ceiling in the second shot. I just didn't come up with a good idea yet and will mostly fix the misaligned texture.

@schwerpunk
I didn't plan for that but I think I'll use that in the map design.

schwerpunk said:

In return, here's a screenshot of one of my favourite startles in BlueEagle's mapset, Unloved.

Is that a toilet on the right?

Eris Falling said:

Because why not?

Just Do It.

CorSair said:

Wait a minute, what texture set you have there?

Too many to count.

Ed: Whoa, I can already feel my comp lagging. o_o

I like the mix of classic techbase, and the newer cosmetic slopes all around outpost-base vibe (kind of a Quake II techbase feel, I guess).

Also, Hell above is a nice change.

@Walter Sorry man I didn't see that. I noticed you posted pics up before in this thread and were speaking about a DM map in progress. I'll give this a spin with some bots in a minute and give it a shot on duel later. The shots look great btw.

I wanted to comment on that wad but I really don't know anything about DM, hehe. When I rarely play it, I just run around and shoot at players. I don't have any strategies or tactics so I dunno what makes a good DM map. Well, one thing I've heard is that people don't like when there is a megasphere on the map because the player who picks it up gets a HUGE advantage. So you might want to remove it.
Nice design btw.

Memfis said:

I wanted to comment on that wad but I really don't know anything about DM, hehe. When I rarely play it, I just run around and shoot at players. I don't have any strategies or tactics so I dunno what makes a good DM map. Well, one thing I've heard is that people don't like when there is a megasphere on the map because the player who picks it up gets a HUGE advantage. So you might want to remove it.
Nice design btw.

Depends on DM flags, if you have respawning items then it's acceptable, if not then yes there is an unfair advantage. Cover is one thing that needs to be considered in DM (especially in duel). Also weapon placements should stay on the map permanently for fair play in DM and duel. I personally think Walter's done quite a good job there despite taking me a while to learn the layout but the map I think maybe a little to big for duel.

Mechadon said:

Nice shot Ed :). I like the guts and tech stuff in the ceiling.

Seconded! Looks pretty much like a ZDoom project or something.

Just out of reach, even when jumping... what a bastard.

I can't remember what this WAD is.

Possibly the dumbest thing I have ever mapped.

I get called an idiot for finishing the map when everyone else has died/quit. Kids today...

Just having fun with a missing texture while locked out of some area permanently (stupid bloody map). Looked pretty cool though.

scalliano said:

Not sure about the magenta torches, might change those.

I'd say keep them personally. They give off a very nice atmosphere. I really cannot wait for TOP 2. It looks amazing so far.

Keep 'em. There's not been enough purple stuff in Doom; along with cyan, it's probably the one colour that's noticeably missing from the standard palette.

I've started work on an OS X based WAD manager. The standard procedures (import/export/rename/delete lumps) have proven quite easy to program, it will be more cumbersome when I get to lump format guessing :)