Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Marcaek said:

dobugabumaru, that first shot is fantastic. Whatever surreal dimension that exists in, I want to kill demons there.

The second shot is cool as well, but I think It'd be more impressive from another angle or ingame or something.

I agree with this assessment of both (nice looking) shots. I'm guessing these are taken with a GL renderer on? In the second shot especially, I have a hard time telling what little details are in front of the others. Maybe I just have to see it in motion.

Very intricate; very Hellish.

Targeting vanilla limits here. Today I found out that lighting effects can take you very close to VPO without there being much detail at all.

Don't wake the Cyberdemon.

@ dobugabumaru: Thanks! I like your first shot a lot - nice and surreal. It's as if the room's up-down orientation is all messed up, with some regions upside-down and others not. It might be fun if the water were falling upwards, although I'm not sure if this would really work with WFALL textures.

dobugabumaru that first shot is amazing!! Don't change a thing there! :)

Whatever project you're working on I want to make sure I play it when it comes out. :P

dobugabumaru said:

Really like your screens durian, they have a nice grasp of curves. Almost done with my two maps for MAYhem. Plenty of testing to go.
http://i.imgur.com/zeTfYqpl.png

I like this kind of strange gravity maps, like the one in Plutonia 2 (Arch-violence).

@ Ducon: You forgot to change the tags in your quote from 'img' to 'url.' :)

@ ComicMischief: [subject] - I really like the concept of being compelled to move without shooting. It turns an imp - usually a minor annoyance - into a much bigger annoyance! Not only do you have to dodge its fireballs without being able to fire back, but you have to make sure its fireballs don't hit Maes over there. Do you have plans to expand upon this concept - perhaps with more imps? Hehe.

@ ComicMischief 2: [subject] - Nice! a Freedom shot. And a fairly attractive one at that. What can I say, it's visually pleasing in a solid, basic sort of way; just beautiful enough that you can take it for granted. The perfect starting point for some good gameplay.

Also, the way you fire your pistol off for no reason reminds me of the cover art for this shoverware:

Fire the gun before hitting F1!
Why?
Because it'll look cooler!

Oh wow, I used to have that CD.

However, I fired my weapon to light the area a little -- it's very visible in motion, but not so in a static image.

As for the Imp/Cyberdemon thing, I've kept the whole thing going for a level - admittedly a short one. Starting with a pistol, I have Imps as a minor annoyance that really shouldn't be killed; lest you want to wake up every Cyberdemon in the level.

I'm beginning to really like more 'experimental' gameplay.

ComicMischief said:

As for the Imp/Cyberdemon thing, I've kept the whole thing going for a level - admittedly a short one. Starting with a pistol, I have Imps as a minor annoyance that really shouldn't be killed; lest you want to wake up every Cyberdemon in the level.

I'm beginning to really like more 'experimental' gameplay.

Yeah, it's fun pushing the Doom engine into doing things it wouldn't normally, but can do. Like the primitive sort of 'sneaking mission' concept you have going in your level.

Outdoor areas with any scope in vanilla limits are going to be tons of fun, I can tell. No sarcasm, I'm not into the habit of peppering maps with seams on every floor and computers on every wall. Although a little to break up the (placeholder) sky is always good.

Just been lighting this teleporter. I dislike overly ostentatious teleporters - I'm not very sympathetic to the thought that something so technologically advanced should be bulky, since I've always preferred to think of them as, well, magic. But I like to try to make them somewhat distinctive, and my wanton disregard for the grid rules out using the usual flats.

Butts said:

Here is what I did as a teleport.
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4314/doom40.png

I'm really not so sure about it. I should think about it some more.

I like how it's enclosed between those pillars with the rounded tops, although I'm not so keen on the FIREBLU texture - I've always found it quite ugly, but that's just a personal preference - it might look nicer if it were not so uniformly bright - perhaps bright in the centre, gradually getting darker to the sides (I have zero visual imagination though, so this is just a guess).

@ ComicMischief:Not only do you have to dodge its fireballs without being able to fire back, but you have to make sure its fireballs don't hit Maes over there.

Best thing ive read today

Butts said:

pics

Hey man, I like both.. I'm thinking the structure in the second screenshot would benefit from having GSTONE mixed in with the architecture.

the teleport looks cool to me. I'd perhaps change the torches to blue (behold my keen eye for design! hehe), but I'd also add a floor behind the FIREBLU texture that rises to the nearest floor of the pillars, so it would be framed in and matched with the step/ frame on the bottom of it.

Also I agree with the suggestion to add some lighting effects to it and I think that would really spice it up.

Finally, I think the whole thing is slightly over-sized and would benefit from having it scaled down a bit. Just compressing the width of the FIREBLU linedef from 128 to 96 might do the trick.

ComicMischief said:

level 1: anger management

Butts said:

Here is what I did as a teleport.
[url]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4314/doom40.png[url]

Does it lead to Dildoland?

Butts said:

Is the blood better?

I love blood in Doom maps, but I like the slime better in you map, from what I have seen.

Butts said:

I'm really not so sure about it. I should think about it some more.

I would make a 128x16 version of that ZIMMER texture and put several linedefs with it as a middle texture above the portal. Because it just looks incomplete without something on top imo.

Durian and Butts, really nice work on the teleports. Those look really fresh and unique. Butts, what's that ominous thing floating on the upper left hand of the teleport screenshot?

_bruce_ said:

@ComicMischief : great shots!

Thank you, thank you.

I feel a bit lame when I see a lot of the stuff posted here and I've got this vanilla-targeted stuff, though. And then I take a look at what I've got going on in places without even so much as a HOM and it's all cool.

When I've got a couple more maps done, I think I'll officially announce this project in its own thread. :)

darkreaver said:

Does it lead to Dildoland?

I love blood in Doom maps, but I like the slime better in you map, from what I have seen.

Hahahaha, your response made my day. Yeah, it leads to dildoland. That's why I'm thinking I should change it, a tad toooo phallic for my tastes. But it's damn funny. It's like anceint civilizations obelisks.

Alright, I can make 2 versions of the map, one for folks with a lust for blood, and green slime for the green theme.

GoatLord said:

Durian and Butts, really nice work on the teleports. Those look really fresh and unique. Butts, what's that ominous thing floating on the upper left hand of the teleport screenshot?

Hahaha, oh that's also funny, because some middle textures placed themselves there without my noticing. But some floating rocks will be there, and some imp platforms and whatnot. There will be some cool surreal vibin'. By the way, just out of curiosity, GoatLord, if I didn't know any better I'd think you listen to metal. By any chance do you recognize what band logo the eyeball of my avatar came from?

StoneFrog said:

Mapper's world problems.

Oh yes, when you make stuff first and then the gameplay. The mother of all crowded corridors!

I was even worse back in the day: I didn't even plan the place for the monsters!

StoneFrog said:

Mapper's world problems.

Only 00's kids will get this.

Anyway, I'm not going to presume to tell another mapper how to proceed, but allow me to contradict myself, because I've had three coffees this morning: When deciding what to cut, I draw an ideal path for the player*, and either make optional areas very small (the player should know that they are in a side area, getting additional goodies for the battles ahead), or turn them into secrets. If you have too many shortcuts, you could either cut them, turn them into windows, or turn them into well-hidden secret shortcuts (as long as it doesn't break your map).

tl;dr break it down to basics, then get ruthless with your sectors. Cut cut cut! Save them in a separate file for future use if you must (I like using a GRAVEYARD.WAD to store all of my abandoned sections), but uncomplementary areas should go.

*green x = start; red x = exit; orange x = barred gate; orange + = switch to open bars. Confusing black line = a perfect player's path (see figure 1).

figure 1 : Outdoor Ruins OR schwerpunk loves posting DB shots

I know that pic won't make much sense to anyone else; it's really for my use only. But you get the idea.

Lately I've been starting with that black line, on paper. I'll scribble a shape representing paths the player will take -- worked out a couple of multi-linear routes this way.

When it comes to making the map itself, I try my best to make the movable area represent the lines I drew on paper, whilst making halfway believable architecture.

But of course, I don't always do this because I like to tackle each map a different way. Keeps it fresh, if not for the player then for me.