Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Memfis said:

I like it overall but the dots all over it are a bit ugly, especially the green and pink ones.

It's called "dithering" and it's used to simulate halftones with a limited palette.

Can't upload anything now, unfortunately.

dutch devil said:

Looks great, I really like the lighting. Makes me wonder what the level designers were thinking when making the original maps. With most Doom 2 maps the choice of textures is just really weird and unfitting. Doom level design is way better.

Thanks dutch! Yeah, I'm certainly not sure what they were thinking here - it's like a cave in a techbase, or something.

Katamori said:

Durian, I swear those circular lamps with the light differences would have been a big pain in the ass to do.

Nah, they were pretty straightforward - no complex overlapping to deal with.

There are different dithering algorithms, some can even be tweaked to reduce the amount of "stray pixels". I found it also useful to overlay an image to be dithered with a bias towards nearest available colors in the target palette. So if one can provide the original, I can try to optimize it.

Memphis: I made that :-P
And without dithering it would look way worse. I will check for my original PSD but I doubt it's still around.
It was the first sky in NDCP i believe.

Old guy sucks. He is really going to be hurting come the zigzag walkway bit.

Jayextee said:

Old guy sucks. He is really going to be hurting come the zigzag walkway bit.

Is he pressing TAB? O_o

and it's vivid like a strawberry

wait, that's right, those CRTs didn't have that front-angle-viewing-only issue... :p Ah, good times.

Jimi said:

It's fake. The image comes out of the display area a bit.

I thought that blatant photoshop effort was the entire joke :/

Memfis said:

I like it overall but the dots all over it are a bit ugly, especially the green and pink ones. If they weren't there it would be perfect for my project.

Not exactly no pink and green anymore, but a lot more subtle yet persistent where they make sense. Believe me, especially the camouflage-green pixels are not as bad as you may believe, they keep the average color.

And almost completely without pink (and only really a little green). It appears slightly different now, more biased towards grey/ochre.

40oz said:

whooooaaa massacrebosco what are you doing? that looks cool but how does it play?

Ribbiks said:

can't imagine this playing well (unless something crazy happens, like towers lower to ground or something), but hot damn it looks awesome

negke said:

Properly weirded out by looking at this. It's like some sort of Escher HOM matrix nightmare...

I'm making a wad with slaughtermaps. This is one of the maps with over 2000 monsters. :P
This map has tons of hellknights, but only hellknights. Also, 16 "step-up" buildings. You must get to the top of all buildings to beat the level.

http://i.imgur.com/xAPJrek.png
I will consider making this map with changed gravity. But maybe not with too low gravity. It would be fun. :P

Mapping again for the first time in what feels like months. Here's a shot from my work in progress, inspired by Alien Vendetta.

Taking a much different approach to this map; instead of mapping to please the community I am trying to make a map that I will find enjoyable. Hopefully it'll come out decent.

Olympus said:

instead of mapping to please the community I am trying to make a map that I will find enjoyable.

This is what you should always do. Why haven't you been doing it?

Jayextee said:

Good question :p

Not quite sure why it took me this long to figure out but I do find it much more enjoyable to make a map that caters to my play style rather than to others.

I dunno, it looks more like spilled salt than stars to me. Star density is too high maybe.

Jayextee said:

I find it difficult to understand whether I'm enjoying my maps or not. I just can't look at them the same way I look at the maps made by others. I can't properly explain the difference but... I don't know, playing my own maps is weird, it's like I know them too well or something...

Thanks guys :)

As for the sky, I think it works well enough for what its trying to accomplish, so I will keep it.

That sky is a classic, I think i've saw it a lot of times in other maps, still, a nice starky skyky :P

Memfis said:

I find it difficult to understand whether I'm enjoying my maps or not.
I just can't look at them the same way I look at the maps made by others. I can't properly explain the difference but... I don't know, playing my own maps is weird, it's like I know them too well or something...

Ha, you can't win if you keep comparing your map to those of others. My earliest maps were too linear and segmented, and now I think my current one is too open and aimless, even though at face value I have played and enjoyed many maps that are clearly no more strictly organized than my own. A lot of it is just excessive self-criticism.

Somewhere in Time, third map: The Parking House.

Most certainly, this is the first parking house that was ever built in Doom. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Working on this map again, making some progress on it. Its for Doom E3M1, and will only contain stock resources. I'll probably only change the music. Its going to be big and complex, not an easy map to finish.

Oh yes Dutch, that's looking like a pretty awesome project. Are you doing a whole episode perhaps?