• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Obsidian said:

Maybe just a bumpy looking flat?

Not really what I'm going for though.
I've added a second set of Vaderslopes in front of the previous ones, and added 3 rows of vertex slope things with kinda randomised heights on the back two rows. There were a lot of painful HOMs, but I got it working eventually.

Now with 100% more terrain!

All that side needs now is to get rid of that horrible flat bit at the top of the cliff, continuing up and over into what I guess the skybox would show. If I understand my situation correctly, that will require another row of Vaderslopes and vertex slope things.

And just for the hell of it, here's the map shot.

Lovely triangles

Yeah, I'm just kinda stealing the CC4 texture pack as a placeholder until I actually have some way of working out what textures I'll need for this. The location isn't even brown!
I'm hoping to make this area look really impressive eventually, since it's the first place the player sees. I'll also probably use it for testing purposes later on.

Spoiler

The level is currently called Administration. Put down that rotten tomato, please.

Eris, as I can see your experiments through the world of ZDoomism (your first tries in this thread, DECORATE for custom weapons, and now this one) I may bet that one day you'll be as famous at ZDoom mapping as realm667.com]Tormentor667, who was one of my ideals :P

I just added music for MAP01: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIldF-pGUCU

I also added title screen music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56mdKP_i7xY (The title music is the more ambient part, not the heavy stuff.)

Also intermission music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZvfwxpoTkc

I also added weapon firing sound FX for the pistol, shotgun and chaingun. (PSX ones) Same for cocaodemons, Imps, pinkies, and Hell Knights.

What do you guys think? Should I keep the music and FX or ditch 'em?

Da Werecat said:

That's just Antroid. :)

You forgot a comma there, but I agree, that was pretty just. I am a just Antroid.

Eris Falling said:

Not really what I'm going for though.
I've added a second set of Vaderslopes in front of the previous ones, and added 3 rows of vertex slope things with kinda randomised heights on the back two rows. There were a lot of painful HOMs, but I got it working eventually.

Now with 100% more terrain!

All that side needs now is to get rid of that horrible flat bit at the top of the cliff, continuing up and over into what I guess the skybox would show. If I understand my situation correctly, that will require another row of Vaderslopes and vertex slope things.

And just for the hell of it, here's the map shot.

Lovely triangles

Yeah, I'm just kinda stealing the CC4 texture pack as a placeholder until I actually have some way of working out what textures I'll need for this. The location isn't even brown!
I'm hoping to make this area look really impressive eventually, since it's the first place the player sees. I'll also probably use it for testing purposes later on.

Spoiler

The level is currently called Administration. Put down that rotten tomato, please.

Damn dude. Your map looks fuckin' amazing from an aesthetic viewpoint. Gameplay will probably be the same.

The only T667 work I've played is KDiZD, I keep meaning to play Refinery, but already I like the screenshots and that's the kinda of look I'm going for, with a bit more light I admit, so thanks a lot Katamori :)

Captain Sugar Tits said:

Damn dude. Your map looks fuckin' amazing from an aesthetic viewpoint. Gameplay will probably be the same.

Oh, this is nothing at the moment ;) But thanks anyway. Gameplay has a been a problem for me so far, but I hope to resolve it here.

I figured that given I named myself after a (dwarf) planet, I should do something based around it. Hence 11 maps with unimaginative titles for the moment. I should fix that

Spoiler

MAP01: Administration
MAP02: Power Station
MAP03: Research Centre
MAP04: The Dungeons
MAP05: The Viaduct
MAP06: Mountain Pass
MAP07: Wasteland
MAP08: Mining Sector
MAP08b: Caverns
MAP09: Discordant Realm
MAP10: Vengeance Unleashed

MAP11: Lunar Keep

I've also set a load of "first appearances" for just about everything, hoping that I can really implement a sense of progression.

EDIT: I'm wondering if it's too bright (160 used here), given that Eris is never closer than 3.5 billion miles from the sun, yet reflects 96% of light hitting it.

Rayzik said:

I tried to fix that sky but it wouldn't turn out very well, so I started looking for a replacement. E3 sky seems to work pretty good I thought...

I love the building/temple architecture, but the giant terraformed stalagmite whatchamadoodles in the background look really repetitive, IMO. That's just my two cents anyway.

This took so much tweaking. It's now extended to about 5 sectors of shit. Something is gonna go tits up soon.

Eris Falling said:

This took so much tweaking. It's now extended to about 5 sectors of shit. Something is gonna go tits up soon.

Dude, what program did you use to make the sky, if not, then where did you find it? Sorry if I'm bothersome.

Antroid said:

That's just disgusting.

Why it is? I can clearly remember when I was 15, yet new to Doom, seen only IWAD maps, and then, I got Eternal Doom, Hell Revealed, AAAND Ultimate Torment & Torture & others.

These were plain awesome, and I still think that Tormentor's architecture was (and IS) kinda pleasant, even if not perfect.

Also, I think you are a cool guy but I also think this type of behaviour is the main reason, why most ZDoom projects are contributed and discussed on other forums than DW. Which is kinda bad since this is one of the earliest Doom forums ever.

Anyway, this describes everything ;)

Da Werecat said:

That's just Antroid. :)

Katamori said:

Why it is?

Because I dislike everything he stands for in doom mapping. Never liked a single thing he's done. And if I did, I can't remember. Not gonna elaborate much more because this isn't the place for that.

Captain Sugar Tits said:

Dude, what program did you use to make the sky, if not, then where did you find it? Sorry if I'm bothersome.

It's SKY2 (MAP12-20) from CC4, which also lists the floor texture as ROCK24, assuming you were commenting on my shot Jimmy?
Considering there are plenty of grey rock flats in the texture pack I don't know why I don't use those as placeholders instead.

EDIT: Just tried the snow textures, it looked like the Monochrome Mapping Project. Fuck reality, Eris can be brown.

Antroid said:

Because I dislike everything he stands for in doom mapping. Never liked a single thing he's done. And if I did, I can't remember. Not gonna elaborate much more because this isn't the place for that.

I have no idea, how is this possible, but I don't even have to understand it.

However, even though this is not the place for that, some very important things should be discussed right now.

Just because I grew up on mappers like Tormentor667, I'm not a worse person - I'm not even a worse mapper. There is no room on any kinds of online places (except 4chan) for degrading words like "I found it disgusting that Tormentor is one of your ideals" - I think it wasn't really polite. (unlike if you'd say "Tormentor is a bad mapper, I don't think that this ifluence would have")

Thats it! Sorry for being hypersensitive, here's a pic of one of my old Doom WAD jobs (just to be thread-related):

Katamori said:

IMG

"It's very symmetrical, but I don't give a shit," is what that shot tells me. My kind of map :P

Katamori said
some heartfelt words

You'd think that after watching my videos so much one would be able to handle my way of stating my opinions :) (and besides that was pretty clearly worded as an "internet exaggeration").

But yeah I think that his approach to doom mapping is pretty disgusting :P

Katamori said:

here's a pic of one of my old Doom WAD jobs (just to be thread-related):

That's way trippy, I like it!

Antroid: actually, I can understand you - most certainly you think that if I (or anyone else) would hate you because of your opinions, then I (we) can't approve them and then I (we) don't deserve to be in touch anymore. It's totally fine.

However (altough I know that I went a bit far) using the word "disgusting" made me feel that you judge a complete human being (either me or Daniel) by a very small aspect of his life (Doom mapping).

I can understand those who dislike his job, since no doubt, he prefers modern features and style against classic "the Doom itself" feeling. Some people may thik that KDiZD for Doom era is the same as CoD: MW6 for the FPS era (everything for graphics, nothing for gameplay), but this is way not true. He just makes another way of mapping. And if people can't get it, semi-jokeWADs like this are surely gonna be made.

Everyone else about the pic: thank you! It was inspired by Invasion WAD and some sci-fi stuff. Sadly it wasn't ever finished.

Modern Warfare 2 was brilliant the first time. I enjoyed it a couple times after, but after that there was little reason to play except for Spec Ops. Shame the MW3 spec ops were shit, but I felt that MW2's spec ops definitely had some replay value, in the form of ratings, with targets to unlock more missions etc.
Most prominent in my mind is a stealth mission called "Hidden" which took place around Chernobyl. I never tired of it despite failing numerous times. The snowmobile racing level was tons of fun too.

Similarly, I don't think KDiZD lacks in gameplay. I enjoy playing it and it some ways it was like playing the old levels for the first time again. The only issue I've ever had with KDiZD is that there seems to be an unnecessary amount of stuff on the intermission screen, and even that gave you the option to skip.
Furthermore, the developers of TSoZD say that they're trying to fix the issues of KDiZD, which is very promising indeed.

Then again, if they go slow enough, they'll end up releasing it at the same time as my own mod, which means competition.

So, Vader + friends, um...bring it on! :P

Katamori said:

Antroid: actually, I can understand you - most certainly you think that if I (or anyone else) would hate you because of your opinions, then I (we) can't approve them and then I (we) don't deserve to be in touch anymore. It's totally fine.

However (altough I know that I went a bit far) using the word "disgusting" made me feel that you judge a complete human being (either me or Daniel) by a very small aspect of his life (Doom mapping).

I have no idea where you got that first part, even after I parsed the sentence (which required a couple rereads) I still didn't see any of my own thoughts in it.

And it's not my fault if things make you feel something completely unrelated out of the blue, is it now? Obviously I meant it only in the scope that you implied, unless of course Torm is your "ideal" of all aspects of a person and not just a mapper. I judge that very small aspect of his life, Doom mapping, and my personal verdict is that it is disgusting. That's it, nothing more.

Memfis said:

Stop teasing us and say why you think it's disgusting already!

+1. I'd rather not make an apparent large mistake in my mapset.

I have a sense that Antroid is somehow in bad terms of the person itself.
(Even more OFF, but finished already(!!!): Memfis, I PM'd you.)

Antroid: that's why I implied that "Sorry for being hypersensitive". I went a bit far because your reply sounded a bit offensive. I'm sorry then. (in the first sentence, I just speculated)

Memfis: this was the reason.

And another pic to prevent giving a brain hemorrhage to esselfortium when he goes to the thread and sees the incredible amount of off-topic discussion:

Don't ask where did I get it.