Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

That BIGBRIK2 texture looks a bit weird on the sides of the arches but I like everything else here.

Eris Falling said:

Eridian?

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I see what you did, I mean played there!

I have to say this is your best shot yet. The cut-off bar looks really weird though.

If you wouldn't have quoted, I wouldn't have believed that it was made by joe-ilya! :D

sgt dopey - Well your slopes are looking far nicer than mine, damn you! Seems I'm not the only UDMF nut in this thread at the moment :P
Oh and thanks, the dynamic light works now. But seriously, the clipping on these things is really bad. I've got light coming through the walls everywhere, and that's with the option clip them on.

Katamori - The problem I've had with Joe's maps is that they're just too random in terms of lines, so within normal shaped sectors you've got these really weird looking sectors, and everything is made up of irregular decagons and icosagons and pentatriacontagons (okay, I looked that one up, and I'm exaggerating now, sorry joe), and it just looks like a mess to me, quite frankly. Add to that the amazing vanishing midtextures and inevitable texture misalignment that comes as a result of these wacky shapes, and there's a problem.
With that shot that I quoted, there doesn't seem to be any of this, barring (HA!) that one missing midtexture. And if that's supposed to be intentional, a solid 8x8 square pillar on the end of the railing would suffice, just to clean it up a bit. Other than that minor nitpick, that shot shows a real improvement, and with more of that, and less of the omgrandomanglelindefs, he could end up producing some decent stuff.

Anyway. After finally daring to tell SiteAdvisor to go fuck itself, and proceeding into Realm667, finding nothing, and instead taking the stars texture from another WAD, and finally cutting out the mountains, and adding in Dysnomia, this now has a full skybox. Except for the sun, which I'll add later. Dysnomia seems to look like absolute shit without certain types of texture filtering (I use Trilinear for all my shots), is this a problem? I could always put in a recommendation that that type of filtering is recommended, as well as "Dark" sector light and ambient light: 0

Rather than dragging vertices, you can set a flag on the required sidedefs to turn fake contrast off for them. Ain't UDMF wonderful?

Bonus: DSEP_01, the first new non-sky texture

The moon should probably have softer looking features. Seems like the kind of distance it's at, the "bumps" would actually be like dozens of miles high on it's surface. :P

Good point, thanks.
Before putting it in-game, as I've powered down the PC for today

Eris intended to be huge in-game, so I think the small mountains there should be fine. As long as it's okay before the PSP trial runs out :P

darkreaver: I've moved it further back in the sector, hopefully that should do it.

Da Werecat: Isn't that an error with my display settings? I'll correct that tomorrow.

Eris Falling said:

Isn't that an error with my display settings?

Your settings are okay, I believe. All original art relies on the picture being stretched vertically.

I doubt any of you would remember but I posted a shot from a duel map I started earlier this year some time ago. I decided to work on it again by improving an area (some is placeholder TOO MUCH BLOODY PANBOOK) and implementing stairs along with item placement now. Gothic texture pack is still one of my old all time favourites to work with.

I guess it has to be stretched to a certain amount, is there a given ratio that it has to be stretched by?
Also, would it not appear stretched on some aspect ratios anyway?

Some rock texture alignment issues. A and Shift + A go a long way for lazy alignments :)

(ie, the right hand column repeats the same section of texture)

Eris Falling said:

http://i.imgur.com/3tHoUUZl.png
Rather than dragging vertices, you can set a flag on the required sidedefs to turn fake contrast off for them. Ain't UDMF wonderful?

Bonus: DSEP_01, the first new non-sky texture
http://i.imgur.com/093uJO5.png

Looks great!

Kind of surreal, and very 3D! :)

I would probably benefit from using skybox effects too, and I probably should look into it again. A big rock like that, honestly looks really cool :)

Thanks :) I can't wait to see how the skybox for the secret level turns out, should look very nice indeed.

Anyway.

What is this Eris? A normal ZDoom screenshot so there's no dynamic lights? Are you trying to hide something of pure awfulness and treachery?

So while I finish up on this area, take some wild guesses ;)

Nice shot Obsidian - these textures, along with a few others, simply embody the Doom II look for me.

Eris is just a prick who wants people to guess what's going on, while there is nothing to show, except some SP_ROCK1 wall. :P

But I'll guess there's main entrance, and side entrance.

And the answer is...

Underground storage. The crates will be re-textured though, fear not. Besides, the DSEP and the UAC are known rivals. I like the idea of a secret area containing a lone UAC crate though, with the shock being either due to the awfulness of the UAC crates, and the conspiracy behind it. And don't underestimate the Zombiemen, they're actually kinda dangerous now. I think they're just slightly faster firing than Graf Zahl's Rapid Fire Trooper, though with reduced damage.

Anyway, I figure I should slow down posting screenshots, otherwise I'll end up having every single area in this thread, and no-one would need to play it.

EDIT: Jeez, an hour of Vaderslopes almost looks worth it!

DOUBLE EDIT: omglight

Eris: I was thinking where are all the imps.. Maybe you could have an imp stripper popping out of the secret crate.

--

Some level, nearly completed:

And then it seems I'm starting to getting interested in doing some other stuff... Did some grimy metal texture(s), could make some more of them later. Click it for a higher res comparison image from Doomsday:

The star in the 8th screenshot looks a bit goofy, but other than that I'd say this map is shaping up well. You might want to turn those into thumbnails or links as well before a mod does.

Memfis said:

:o Inspired by cchest4 map29 or just a coincidence?

I've never seen that before, so I say coincidence!

Obsidian said:

The star in the 8th screenshot looks a bit goofy, but other than that I'd say this map is shaping up well. You might want to turn those into thumbnails or links as well before a mod does.

Aye aye, captain.

LigH said:

@ Eris Falling:

What's your "Start To Crate" there? ;)

Probably in the negatives; shows up on the title screen, no doubt :P

Eris Falling said:

I guess it has to be stretched to a certain amount, is there a given ratio that it has to be stretched by?
Also, would it not appear stretched on some aspect ratios anyway?

If the port's applying aspect ratio correction to mimic VGA Mode 13h (which vertically stretches pixels by 20%), reducing your moon's height by about 17% should compensate for that. Maybe shorten the mountains a bit as well.