Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

gemini09 said:

I think it looks really cool, and menacing :>

I'm a big fan of pink, so I made this:

http://imgur.com/aH1EJfQ

if anyone wants to help, especially coders, you're welcome to

I dig the palette. Interested to see where this goes!

durian: Lighting looks better now. The ceil5_1 borders could be on different heights than the corridor middle floor/ceiling.

mrthejoshmon: The marble level is coming along pretty nicely. Like that big room with the baron faces and that new shot with the gargoyles and sky window.

scalliano: The turquise lost souls look a bit out of place there... Think they would fit better in some place with water.

KevinHEZ: Reminds me a bit of Blood.

Lombardi: Kind of strange choices for floor/ceiling textures. Though compblue could fit on ceiling, maybe not the floor too.

gemini09: Looks like bubblegum :รพ

--

I made some simple sky texture and tried to improve the grimy metal texture. It will probably change a bit, at the moment it's in the Doom palette, but the basic idea should stay as grey metal with brown stuff at the borders and some green stuff at the middles.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/grime_004.png

I like it, Jimi. It could benefit from some more contrast, though, I think -- creating a lighter green variant (and/or maybe tan, gray, and/or brown variants) could work well to mix in with it to give it some more definition and detail. Using the darker panels around corners and edges and using the lighter/contrasting ones on the spans of wall in between is a simple way to add a lot of structural definition without stressing vanilla limits much.

While I'm on vacation, I won't work on Doom: The Monster Invasion, but here's a deathmatch level (though since Zandronum wouldn't take screenshots outside battle, these will have to do):

All of them are pictures of a bot person being killed;

Off-topic: When I'm done with the levels, how would I make it possible for it to be played online people to see if it's good?

BloodyAcid said:

That armor bar is wrong. Did I mess up the code in that somewhere :S

Hehe, no. I messed that up myself, somehow :]

I'm contemplating on changing the locations of the huds again, so I may get in touch with you, if it's alright.

And thanks guys. I hope to release it by December. :)

Jimi-

Really sublime aesthetic there. Low contrast textures and a breezy, open sky with a captivating color to it. Atmosphere reminds me of so many early 90's games, even Daggerfall in a way.

It only took months of errantly adding random things to the outer regions of the map to avoid working on the rest of it, but I've finally filled in the center and developed an aesthetic I'm fairly proud of:

StoneFrog said:

It only took months of errantly adding random things to the outer regions of the map to avoid working on the rest of it, but I've finally filled in the center and developed an aesthetic I'm fairly proud of:

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4723/ct8v.png

Lovely stuff, StoneFrog. I really like the way you've combined the various brick and stone textures. This is perhaps a little jarring, but maybe the player can't ordinarily access the place that you've taken the shot from.

Another duel map I started. I know there's texture misalignment's they'll be eradicated once I implement some new items. I've always had trouble with outdoor areas. Mainly when I create the structure i.e the walls. EDIT: bollocks, just thought of a couple of things to add.

StoneFrog said:

Jimi-

Really sublime aesthetic there. Low contrast textures and a breezy, open sky with a captivating color to it. Atmosphere reminds me of so many early 90's games, even Daggerfall in a way.

Looks Plutonia-themed too.

All of the pics in this topic put my maps to shame. I wish I had half of you guys' abilities to detail rooms.

StoneFrog said:

Don't you think the change from brown bricks to green blocks looks a bit ugly? Somehow doesn't feel right to me.

esselfortium, I think if I used something Chocolate based, I'd increase the limits, just in case. And yea there could be some color variations to it, or maybe a bit different material, but same shapes. Probably just needs some sharpening to get it more clearer.

sgt dopey: The red lamps could be brighter, maybe you could move the dynamic lights up to the ceiling?

StoneFrog: here's my suggestions, marked with red Xs: http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/stonefrog_map_suggestions.jpg

Springy: Looks pretty colorful, sort of like those colored church windows. Add something compblue somewhere!

durian: Looks better with the new texture.

--

I'm thinking I'd want to make it something like Abuse. Also if I used something Chocolate based, don't know if I'd be able to make up/down aiming..

So maybe I'd just have a moving crosshair on the screen and player would shoot toward it. It could also move left/right and when it's closer to the screen borders, player would also turn. Faster turning closer to the border. It could also move the weapon sprite a bit too.

Here's some mockup image: player is targeting the Cacodemon.. if he moved the crosshair on the other side of the grey lines, he would turn that way. Don't know if the lines would be visible there. Probably there would be some indication on the turn threshold.

Thanks Jimi, that crosshair looks amazing, I also like the way it shows a lock on effect, I take it that required quite a bit of Dehacked work? Also, the stained glass window is from the GothicTX pack in case there's any curiosity (one of my old favourite DM packs back during the war).

Different angle of my map. It was turning out quite well, now the teleports will not work at all. :( I stupidly made a mistake with multiple teleports and now I can't get the teleport to this spot to work now, (this could've been released today if that didn't happen). Oh, sugar tits, I need to work on those pillars in the sky and make them look a lot more realistic. EDIT: Thanks to Eris Falling for suggesting a fix, it worked. I over think things at times.

Jimi said:

It could also move left/right and when it's closer to the screen borders, player would also turn.

I always hated this control scheme in adventure games with panoramic view.

durian said:

Suggestions?

I think it looks good.

Trouble progressing? :P Just go for it. I name my WIP maps something1-something9, and I make changes and save into the next slot, if I'm unsure about the modifications I just made. It makes it easier to experiment.

Springy that repeating brick texture at the upper back looks REALLY ugly, you could prob just use some of the stock Doom 2 bricks instead.

Marcaek said:

Springy that repeating brick texture at the upper back looks REALLY ugly, you could prob just use some of the stock Doom 2 bricks instead.

Looks like it's a cropped version for use with midtexture effects. GothicTX should have a 128-tall version of it for regular walls that would look a lot better there.

Springy, it was just a mockup image demonstarting the idea. So not actually in the game.

Da Werecat, well, I'll probably at least try how it works. The only game with this kind of aiming I've played was Cyclones, but it didn't really have much use for it, all the levels were so flat.

yakfak, nice pool table.

--

Did some more texture work, took the tech and grass from my earlier project, messed up the grass into sand and that browner rock looking stuff. Could probably take all the other textures too. Then I'd have a nearly full texture set for some couple levels, just missing doors, liquids and some more rocks.

http://media.moddb.com/images/games/1/20/19999/screens_001.png

http://media.moddb.com/images/games/1/20/19999/screens_002.png

Looks great, Jimi! The building textures and the rock are very nice, and the whole thing has a lot of atmosphere. I'm not sure about the sand though - the hue seems to clash a little with that of the rocks. Also, is it me, or are there some squarish artifacts in the otherwise lovely sky (first picture, bottom left panel)?

Hi there, here's some random screens from the map i'm currently working on :)

The next thing I'm gonna do is to get rid/replace all Doom status bar's graphic elements ( Doomguy's mugshot and base numerics ? D'oh ! Those ones are kinda "out of the place" in a dark fantasy setting ! ) :)

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/35/1377866671-screenshot-doom-20130830-143408.png

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/35/1377866675-screenshot-doom-20130830-143455.png

Willv91 said:

*registers on Doomworld*
*posts some really cool looking stuff*

I love it when this happens. I like the Gothic theme you've got there.

EDIT: Now my post count is Finally Doomed :O

^
I see nothing but hallways , you should work on heights and gameplay and then the actual details, so it'll look interesting not just cool.

joe-ilya said:

^
I see nothing but hallways , you should work on heights and gameplay and then the actual details, so it'll look interesting not just cool.

It looks fine to me. You can have a hallway every now and then. It looks really good so far, cannot wait.

@marcaek I changed that wall texture last night and added a bit more. I should've waited to upload the more recent screenshot other than that one I reckon.