Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

joe-ilya

I agree with you, But i think the main hall cannot be taller than that, since Doom doesn't allow the player to aim up and downwards, it sounds like a waste of opportunities to detail for me.

I've decided to base the layout on Doom II's MAP01, so there will be at least one big room with a high ceiling. :)

Willv91 said:

Hi there, here's some random screens from the map i'm currently working on :)

dark fantasy setting ! ) :)

I...I think I love you <3

Ignore the haters, Willv91. Looks great!

Obviously going to see new weapons; will there be a fresh bestiary?

Also, this port-specific at all?

I...I think I love you <3

Lol, that's nice, eh... thank you ! xD

That will be more simple, in fact, the "new" weapons and ennemies will be nothing but sprites replacements :)

I'm doing my maps on the Doom 2 format to ensure a maximal compatibility with nearly all existing ports since I don't really know much about the functionnalities of those ones, I think we can consider it's some limit-removal based work. :)

Bizarrely enough, I don't mind the idea of a simple reskin. Was considering doing one at some point myself.

Willv91 said:

I've decided to base the layout on Doom II's MAP01

Heh. It's funny; when I looked at the second shot, I was struck by it's structural similarity to the one that I previously posted - now I understand why :)

In any case, looks great!

Excellent. I rarely ever used the inventory in Heretic but loved the setting and the Doomish magic weapons. Normally when you have Doom gameplay, your still using the guns and the atmosphere isn't what it could be.

It's a bit risky, it can work or not. I remember of a Heretic TC i've found on Doom Wad Station, all the weapons were staves but with hiscan properties for most of them since it was a wad designed for Doom, but I've found it fun to play anyway.

Jimi said:

I'm thinking I'd want to make it something like Abuse. Also if I used something Chocolate based, don't know if I'd be able to make up/down aiming..

So maybe I'd just have a moving crosshair on the screen and player would shoot toward it. It could also move left/right and when it's closer to the screen borders, player would also turn. Faster turning closer to the border. It could also move the weapon sprite a bit too.

Here's some mockup image: player is targeting the Cacodemon.. if he moved the crosshair on the other side of the grey lines, he would turn that way. Don't know if the lines would be visible there. Probably there would be some indication on the turn threshold.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/crosshair_mockup.png

So, something like CyClones' gameplay in a Doom engine?

(Skip to 4:30 to jump into the actual gameplay sequence and miss the primitive CGI animation and hilariously bad live action footage.)

CyClones used keyboard to move (and turn), and mouse to aim the gun on the screen. Note how the weapon sprites change their angle to match where you're aiming.

Raven Software was famous for using base engines and changing them to a different game with specific enhancements (e.g. Doom to Heretic and Hexen; Quake to Hexen II; Quake III Arena to Star Trek: Elite Force; Doom 3 to Quake 4 ...).

The Wikipedia page of CyClones is an embarrassing stub...

Horizontal cursor movement can be somewhat useful when you have many small things to click on without much need to turn quickly. Point-and-click interface, complex puzzles, etc. But Doom has only big switches, giant doors, and enemies that will do unpleasant things to you if you're not agile enough.

On the other hand, vertical cursor movement is a great idea. It would allow to snipe at long distances without relying on autoaim, and also without ugly sky stretching.

HAHA, wow.wad 8D
Funny you're mentionning this because i've just killed the Cyber with 17 HP left :D

memfis

The third screen look great :)

Hah! That third screen is great Memfis - have you based it on a particular piece of kit, or is it just a generic motherboard?

Oh damn it, I thought it was supposed to be a graphical representation of Doom II maps 01-11, what with potential fuelling canisters on the right and that big brown MAP07 near the middle.

D2-rev-1.9 didn't exactly help.

j4rio: Heh, reminds me of how some people walk outside staring into their little devices and not notice anything else.

Memfis: Like that motherboard level. I think I remember seeing something like that earlier.

--

edit: some more brightness.. and viewed from longer distance

Looks cool, but the lights/front grate really resemble a face to me. But I guess everyone's pareidolic.

Jimi: those pics remind me of a Wolfenstein mod I played some time ago :).

Memfis: I have a feeling that I've seen the place in the third shot somewhere before. Some deathmatch mapset to be precise.

EDIT: thx Marcaek.

I couldn't possibly like that wow.wad picture because it had TEXTURES IN THE PIT FFS. The map has like, what, 12 linedefs, and the artist couldn't get them right? Big fail.

BloodyAcid said:

Looks cool, but the lights/front grate really resemble a face to me. But I guess everyone's pareidolic.

You mean you don't see a face on every single car ever? :)

That wow.wad painting is the best thing I've seen in a long time!

Jimi, that treaded vehicle...thing, looks pretty damn awesome in my opinion. The zoomed out view is pretty cool because it looks like it is crawling across a vast desert or something.