Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Running Chocolate-Doom on my Wii using Linux Whiite.

I had some problem with the colors, SDL seems to fail to set the color bit depth correctly.

I've noticed that the assault rifle from the Doom Alpha in Woolie Wool's shot kind of looks like a BAR (M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle).

axdoom1 said:

Running Chocolate-Doom on my Wii using Linux Whiite.

At first glance I thought those were some of those Andy Warhol images that were found recently.

Avoozl said:

I've noticed that the assault rifle from the Doom Alpha in Woolie Wool's shot kind of looks like a BAR (M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle).

Don't expect it to behave anything like a machine gun firing full-sized rifle ammo--its behavior is more or less identical to the Doom chaingun's for balance reasons.

another day another zdoom deathmatch map.

with a working conveyor belt as of right now that carries unlimited SSG's with it. not sure if it's a good idea or not. understand I'm a sinner?

Hurricyclone said:

another day another zdoom deathmatch map.

http://i.imgur.com/hJRPX91.png

with a working conveyor belt as of right now that carries unlimited SSG's with it. not sure if it's a good idea or not. understand I'm a sinner?

I assume you're going to be doing a light pass on the map later? It's kind of garishly bright right now.

I'm still occasionally working on Unmaker Edition, which is primarily supposed to be the PC maps for their textures and detail plus any extra detail the Jaguar and PSX versions added, as well as any deliberate gameplay changes (faster, repeatable lifts in Command Control, extra Doom 2 monsters in Doom 1 on UV skill). I probably won't be adding colored lighting, and will not use console texturing except in select cases. If I ever manage to finish it, it would be distributed as a patch for a special merged Doom 1/2 IWAD.

The PC version used FLOOR7_1 in E1M2 and FLAT10 in E1M8, but Jaguar changed this to its equivalent of GRASS2 and PSX changed it to its equivalent of RROCK19. In the case of PSX Doom, this was likely just a result of translating the Jaguar maps to their texture set, perhaps its normal grass texture didn't exist yet when that was done (which would be weird, but whatever). On one hand, the Jaguar version was handled by id directly, so that would make it more "canon," I suppose. On the other, RROCK19 is closer to the PC version in that it reveals more brown, and in E1M8's case, is grittier than the normal grass texture (as FLAT10 was rather gritty compared to the relatively clean FLOOR7_1).

I'm kind of thinking of going with GRASS2 for E1M2 and RROCK19 for E1M8. What do you think they should be?

@Woolie Wool
What is that for? The score, time and area bits on the status bar, plus the 0.5 rifle make me think it's some kind of Doom alpha/bible project. Though the area stuff wasn't actually in the alpha status bar, but rather the Jaguar's.

Personally Sodaholic, I'd make most of the ground grass but throw in a few mottled patches of grass. (or is it moss covered rock like it's texture name? I guess it can get away with both.)

messing around with curve linedefs...

and sodaholic, keep your idea of putting grass2 on e1m2 and rrock18 on e1m8...

anyway looks pretty cool!

My nearly-completed Panophobia map, Acid Reign, which is themed around fear of the past. There are original areas not inspired by existing maps but by places from my own past.

EDIT: Contains a tribute area to Beast Island, which IMO is the best user-created Doom map of all time. At least, it made the biggest impression on me, and no other Doom map, no matter how amazing, has triggered the same feeling of amazement or immersion.

Just started porting E1M1 to Postal 2 for the hell of it. This isn't nearly done yet, when I am, I'm going to run it through an external map resizer to bump the z-axis scale up to 1.2. The reason I'm working in square pixels for now is because it's easier that way to stay on the grid as I work on it, thus keeping scale 1:1 consistent with the PC version without needing to round for the sake of working more easily with it.

This is being based on my Unmaker Edition version of E1M1, which is polished/fixed up in a few ways, mostly taking cues from 1.0, 1.9 registered (not Ultimate) and Jaguar. 1.9 registered in computer room texturing and armor room secret switch texturing (the switch remains, but it's no longer got a COMPSPAN like background), 1.0 in the outward appearance of the end of the secret tunnel dropping off into the nukage room, and Jaguar in the flat texture outside of the armor room, the bigger armor room (128 more units of space), step textures where appropriate and NUKE24 where appropriate (PC was kind of lazy about this). In general, I'm using the very useful Doom wiki to squash bugs in maps.

walter confalonieri said:

and sodaholic, keep your idea of putting grass2 on e1m2 and rrock18 on e1m8...

Yeah, it seems to be the best solution.

joe-ilya said:

thing

Neat. I like the usage of foliage and SKY4.

Obsidian said:

I think it looks quite stylish, thank you very much. :P

I second. Besides, Katamori would always get upset when I use crates alongside with marble textures, even if it's just coincidence. :D

I'd go with GRASS2. Personally, I've had the headcanon that Phobos was a partially terraformed moon and had a rainy and foggy climate, as the SKY1 background always gave me an impression of that. (It looks like there's small patches of green on those mountains.)

BTW Chris, I really like those sprites of Doomguy blinking, you should add them to that smooth animations project on the ZDoom forums.