Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

So, as the infamous words "fuck mapping" draw ever closer, I scrap what existed of the WAD entirely and started from scratch.
For this MAP01, I'm trying to do what I believe is the general procedure for mapping, which is do basically the entire layout in the form of basic shapes, then do the visual stuff later.

I dunno, it doesn't look very promising to me. We'll see what piece of shit arises from this soon I guess...

heh, well maybe that's the issue. It is very irritating though when you can visualise something so clearly, then when you come to translate it onto a map editor, you end up with a thing that A) Looks nothing like what you visualised, and B) Is shit regardless :P

I'm quite interested in making neon-lights actor. :P
I used the face of "The Adventures of Square" to test the neon-lights effect.
Just a simple demonstration.

The effect look so good. Aren't they ? :3

Eris Falling said:

For this MAP01, I'm trying to do what I believe is the general procedure for mapping, which is do basically the entire layout in the form of basic shapes, then do the visual stuff later.

I've never been able to complete a map using that method. I can't figure out how I want the next room to look without the prior one looking close to the finished product.

Something I don't like seeing in maps: monsters standing behind solid bars. Much harder to shoot through them than through middle textures that don't block anything.

massacrebosco said:

Neon lights

That actually looks nice, I would love to see them in a futuristic demon infested city :)

Memfis said:

Something I don't like seeing in maps: monsters standing behind solid bars. Much harder to shoot through them than through middle textures that don't block anything.

I'm guessing because the chaingunner fucked you up? :P

Well, judging from the HUD anyway.

Eris Falling said:

So, as the infamous words "fuck mapping" draw ever closer, I scrap what existed of the WAD entirely and started from scratch.

http://i.imgur.com/U60LbBLl.png

I dunno, it doesn't look very promising to me. We'll see what piece of shit arises from this soon I guess...

You aren't the only one who thinks it's the general procedure for mapping. When one makes sketches and redoes them like 4 or 9 years later, it often happens to be one's "trump card" version for getting a map done.

lol I love solid bars in maps! whole-room ambushes just have a little more integrity when the snipers have a little cover

something inexplicable I'm messing with

Oh wow, I remember Sin City. So Ed is the guy that made that..

Doom Dude said:

Yeah Ragnor, 12.+ freaking years. lol. I was a total n00b armed with DoomCad5.1 when I made the first one. Thankfully CodeImp came up with Doom Builder.

I ripped out a lot of the barriers in that particular map so it needed a name change and ended up as Icebound Station.

Here is an editor view of the difference between the two versions of Barriers / Icebound.

Holy balls, my eyes just exploded at that difference. This is definitely a wad to look out for.

Cell said:

Protip: try to get the midi version of dat track somehow. If not, ask a MIDI-musician artist to redo so.

I think the site is down or something, does it work for you?: http://en.midimelody.ru/

Here's the 8th map of the project :

Guest Unregistered account

SpaceDM9's S9DM3 uses a lot of neon lights. I don't think they're quite as well made as yours, massacrebosco - and they don't use OpenGL lights.

joe-ilya said:

I think the site is down or something, does it work for you?: http://en.midimelody.ru/

Oh crap, actually i've found that site and i've downloaded a shitload of helloween midis since the last few days... but now looks dead

joe-ilya said:

That jerk. Actually it still isn't the site that gave me two "empty" MIDIs of Break Machine's Street Dance (though they did have a size, so I guess they only shat rendering around). But I guess it's not the good place to discuss stuff like this and I'm not like I seriously need them anymore.

mrthejoshmon said:

That actually looks nice, I would love to see them in a futuristic demon infested city :)

Maybe I will put them into my deathmatch wad.

Joe667 said:

SpaceDM9's S9DM3 uses a lot of neon lights. I don't think they're quite as well made as yours, massacrebosco - and they don't use OpenGL lights.

Haha, Thank you. :D
But SpaceDM9's S9DM3 have a very nice design.

Visions of Hell #7 - the Wastes

Taken in PRBoom+, not sure I like the screenshot format this defaults in. Click for full sized images.

Following the beta phase of Episode 1, I've started again on Episode 2: Wilderness.

Close, they're supposed to be flappy flesh sails. Could maybe do with a second lower set maybe.

Here's some other visions of hell...

Spiders in trouble... every shot she fires, more imps drop in.

Eventually the imps overrun the spiders.

And sometimes the visions stare right back at you! Oh, wait... that's not an eye!

The 11th map of my unfinished and unofficial map pack.

This was supposed to be the logo for the "100 lines" project, but it was already released so I just made it a map instead. Notice how I use a diffferent sky now and how the map is made out of a 100 lines.

Jimi said:

Oh, wait... that's not an eye!

haha nice shot.

Have some evil scenery