Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Speaking of neat lighting, how's that map of yours coming along Durian? It's been a hefty while since we saw any screenies.

Heh, well remembered. I've not really done anything in the editor for over a year - the machine I was using developed an annoying fault shortly before I moved, and since then it's been sitting in a corner gathering dust while I've been sidetracked by work and other hobbies. I actually got around to fixing it a few weeks ago, as the other machine I've been DOOMing on is just too damn slow (it couldn't have played that map without serious lag). So, long story short, it's not been coming along at all! But who knows, I might start playing with DB2 again, now that I can - I've been pretty inspired by playing through Going Down, with mouldy's brilliant use of stock textures.

durian said:

Heh, well remembered. I've not really done anything in the editor for over a year - the machine I was using developed an annoying fault shortly before I moved, and since then it's been sitting in a corner gathering dust while I've been sidetracked by work and other hobbies. I actually got around to fixing it a few weeks ago, as the other machine I've been DOOMing on is just too damn slow (it couldn't have played that map without serious lag). So, long story short, it's not been coming along at all! But who knows, I might start playing with DB2 again, now that I can - I've been pretty inspired by playing through Going Down, with mouldy's brilliant use of stock textures.

Some excellent inspiration right there. Here's hoping you can still remember how to use Doom Builder. :P

alterworldruler said:

Too big for direct image pasting so leaving links:

http://i.imgur.com/wJ6pRds.png
http://i.imgur.com/RDDJfEI.png

Working on Stomper's new map31 (the old one that people really didn't like overall was pushed to the scrapped maps episode)

You can always use imgur's "large thumbnails" features. It'll look like this:

Or you can go even tinier and go for the small squares:

In both cases, clicking the small picture leads to the full-size one.

So far I've only ever released my absurdist level, The Fantastic Love Adventure of Lt. Feel Good (which I'm sure you've all played). However, I've longer been working on a two part level, Escape from the Fortress of Count Reifert. It's a more traditional level set with some PSX Doom influence. There's still a ways to go before it's ready for release. Until then, I'll update this thread periodically with screenshots. Here's the first wave:

Spoiler

Let me know what you think. There's more on the way.

Also, to give you an idea of how big this baby is, here's two shots of the automap (it was too big to fit in one shot):
Spoiler

Lots of cool looking stuff on this page.

@Toxie Rocks Your shots look nicely detailed and textured, but the lighting seems quite bright, maybe lower light levels would help give more atmosphere. Also it looks like you are using lights as general ceiling textures in the 1st and 5th shots which looks a bit weird to me, but others may disagree.

I don't like the use of that Wolfenstein texture (or Wolfenstein textures in Doom in general) and the hell areas are way too bright but your architecture is quite nice. I have to ask why you would design and detail the entire map before putting any monsters in, though. You're kind of kneecapping your ability to produce exciting encounters.

mouldy said:

@Toxie Rocks Your shots look nicely detailed and textured, but the lighting seems quite bright, maybe lower light levels would help give more atmosphere. Also it looks like you are using lights as general ceiling textures in the 1st and 5th shots which looks a bit weird to me, but others may disagree.

There's a lot of darker areas, they just aren't included in these particular shots. Thought I'd start out with shots that made it easy to see my architecture. Thanks for the feedback.

Woolie Wool said:

I don't like the use of that Wolfenstein texture (or Wolfenstein textures in Doom in general) and the hell areas are way too bright but your architecture is quite nice. I have to ask why you would design and detail the entire map before putting any monsters in, though. You're kind of kneecapping your ability to produce exciting encounters.

No worries. There are enemies in the level. I decided to get the screenshots in a monster-free playthrough to make it easier on myself and so I could focus on the architecture. (I'm frugal with the Wolfenstein textures. In fact this is the only one in this particular level. Personally, I think it fits in with the decor of the room.) Thanks for the feedback.

@ Toxie Rocks, Woolie Wool:

Even though W3D textures may pop out, I like the idea of using it as "safe door".

Obsidian said:

Here's hoping you can still remember how to use Doom Builder. :P

Hmmm... having just opened that map in the editor, a bigger problem is that I've completely forgotten what the hell is going on with all the light transfer actions, and why. It's a real mess :/ Doh.

I did quickly fix a few small problems with this hallway, though, so I'll leave a screenie.

The corpse is there to remind me to experiment with dumping a load of monsters into the map :D

For light transfers you can use a very simple system: if you're transfering brightness 144, just use tag 144. :D

Or something like 1440 for transfering 144 to the floor and 1441 for transfering 144 to the ceiling.

No no, regular stock textures, plus some slight edits of stock textures (e.g., the light shadow on the walls just beneath the pipes - I stole the idea from TEKWALL6) :)

Heh, I couldn't tell you (I don't have that plug-in installed) - it certainly looks pretty horrible in the editor. But technically, there are more vertices than there need to be, as the same results could be achieved far more economically with UDMF, but since this is in BOOM format, a lot of the lighting chicanery requires bonus sectors.

durian said:

Heh, I couldn't tell you (I don't have that plug-in installed)

You don't need plugin, just go to vertice mode in DB2, block-select all the map's vertices (or vertices you want to count) and right-click on the selection.

Also I don't think it looks too detailed. KevinHEZ, you have yet to see what an actual overdetail is. :)

EDIT: Yeah, I forgot to stress it, but durian - it looks pretty nice and elegant.

scifista42 said:

Also I don't think it looks too detailed. KevinHEZ, you have yet to see what an actual overdetail is. :)

I don't think its overdetailed, for me it looks gorgeous, i was just curious about that 'cause i see a lot of curves.

durian, that's looking very atmospheric and your details are well done - the playing area appears to be open and free of obstructions yet the hallway doesn't look empty, I think this is something lots of mappers struggle to achieve. It looks spooky and inviting at the same time, great work.