Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

I`ve always had a thing for maps, thats also one of the reasons I decided to give mapping for Doom a try :P And that looks seriously cool.

This may sound weird, but I tend to keep mapping in an area until it looks good in doombuilder/automap, hehe. No, I`m no adding linedefs or sectors just for the sake of it, I just try to arrang them the right way, without messing up the gameplay. It certainly takes time.

The overall shape of the map is important for me. I know it sounds weird...hehe. Guess it has to do with my interest in art and design.

My first crack at slopes/natural terrain.

This is a WIP map for Project Relic called "Earthbound" (map07). This level ends Episode 1 - "Initiative", and begins Episode 2 - "Earthbound" (The level's namesake, and a reference to an SNES RPG).

@Kagemaru_H: Work on that lighting and height variation.

@itsKeldo: That picture feels me with a sense of doom. D:

Seriously though, this is a thread for shots of the game itself (or modifications for it), not the players.

Thanks peeps.

DuckReconMajor said:

Yeah man, Speed of Doom has been how long?

It has been a year now and only one more map to go and it's more than halfway done (I'm not doing it, my other mapping half is). Nearly there and took considerably less time than most megawads so, not half bad methinks. :P

stewboy said:

Did you redo it?

Yeah I did (actually a brand new one from scratch), managed to finish it within 12 hours. Quite satisfied with it and has much better gameplay than the original map15. Better demo-recording map, fun for both UV-Max and Speed. I'll PM you.

Yes. Heretic's texture resources are a lot richer in diversity than those of Hexen. Hexen doesn't even really have any vertical trims. But the biggest issue I had was that they were all so one-sided and lifeless. No colors to speak of really.

Brightmap for a gun. Thought it looked cool, so I'm posting it here.

kristus said:

Yes. Heretic's texture resources are a lot richer in diversity than those of Hexen. Hexen doesn't even really have any vertical trims. But the biggest issue I had was that they were all so one-sided and lifeless. No colors to speak of really.

My point is that you could manage with the limited (in number) textures of Heretic, unlike the more Hexen counterparts.

Though I admit the Hexen textures have been overused to death in Doom and Heretic, and they're more similar to each other -- rocks and big bricks.

Your Hexen project will be vanilla?

printz said:

My point is that you could manage with the limited (in number) textures of Heretic, unlike the more Hexen counterparts.

Though I admit the Hexen textures have been overused to death in Doom and Heretic, and they're more similar to each other -- rocks and big bricks.

I think Kristus's issue here is mostly with the lack of variety in appearance, not with seeing them used in other wads. A lot of variants of similar textures generally allows for less variety in overall theme than Heretic's smaller set of textures which are mostly pretty unique to each other.

And I say this as someone who does love working with lots of variants ;)

Just a screenshot from DB of the map I`m working on. Progress is sloooow, but I`m getting there. Have a good feeling `bout this map. Still loooooots of work to be done though. Layout is pretty much done. Gonna add one more main/big area though.

256 grid.

http://i45.tinypic.com/uc5n4.jpg

Maybe not much of interest, but anyhoooo

printz said:

If "all" the textures look mostly alike. It doesn't matter how many of them you got.

The spidey was infighting with the Cacodemon, then got stuck on the stairs... he couldn't even shoot, only walk helplessly in place as he got OWNED one puny fireball at a time LOL

First map featuring damaging flame jets. :D

My tribute to nuts.wad. In 1024 style. Yes it's perfectly playable though a little on the easy side.

Awesome stuff rf :D. I can't wait to sink my teeth into more 1024 goodness. And dammit I love that starbrown.

Yeah, with the mixed species of monsters in that last screenie, that room should be more of a area you go grab popcorn to watch then worry about dying in =P

Still, looks like fun in both screenies!

printz said:

Last screenshot looks like a Doom orchestra :)

The Hell's Bells Philharmonic Orchestra now presents: Symphony of the Nightmare!

About 1/3 done of what I have planned for my next gothic map. A mix of plutonia and HR vs. the mostly slaughter maps. Not to say there won't be over 1,000 monsters (it's already above 400 if I guesstimate correctly, haven't checked since the last big thing placement).