Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

DONT use E1 mountains in combination with any sky background that isn't plain white/gray fog. Just dont. PLEASE dont.

40oz said:

DONT use E1 mountains in combination with any sky background that isn't plain white/gray fog. Just dont. PLEASE dont.

Well, you *can*, but it'll only look good if you adjust the light foggy mountains in the distance to fade into something closer to the color of your backdrop (in the case of this dark starry sky, they should probably be getting darker, not lighter).

Oddly I found that sky while browsing for resources, I'll replace it with a regular night sky.
I Just received criticism that the night sky was average.
I would rather it be average then annoying though.
thanks for your input.

I was testing an Icon of Sin map I made and when I reached the exit, this was my kill percentage. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Yah, lots of times (Well sorta, it usually rounds even to #00). Its due to the fact that theres only one thing to be killed. Everything else is randomly spawned. This creates new entities to the level, which really don't count, yet at the same they do count (I suck at explaining)

Clonehunter said:

Yah, lots of times (Well sorta, it usually rounds even to #00). Its due to the fact that theres only one thing to be killed. Everything else is randomly spawned. This creates new entities to the level, which really don't count, yet at the same they do count (I suck at explaining)

heh, I think he means the 666%. :P

I thought the high kill percentage on map30 was because you just owned ALL of hell?

Yeah I understand that killing extra spawned monsters will make the kill percentage more than 100%, but it's an odd coincidence to get such an exotic number. I should have counted how many monsters were spawned.

I know that on the original map30 you got 100% for each spawned monster killed - maybe you killed 66% of the normal monsters and 6 spawned ones. Maybe not.

Mr. T said:

I know that on the original map30 you got 100% for each spawned monster killed - maybe you killed 66% of the normal monsters and 6 spawned ones. Maybe not.

I don't think your math is correct. You get 100% for every monster on the original Doom2 map30 because there are 0 monsters to begin with (the romero head does not count towards the percentage).

EDIT: Kate just informed me that the 0 monsters = 100% kills is a Boom fix. In the original Doom exes you got 0% if there are no monsters in the level, it seems. But since there is a Revenant in map30 on UV you can get 100% per monster if you play on that difficulty.

So as an example if you have 4 monsters at the beginning of the level every monster you kill would probably be worth 25%

So seeing as 40oz's map has 3 Cacos to begin with that makes 33.333% for every monster and doom seems to round down, no matter what is after the .

So that would mean that you need to kill (6x3) + 2 = 20 monsters in this case to get 666% kills.

What about Lost Souls - I'm trying to remember if when spawned by Pain Elementals they contribute to 100% or if they go over and above it? I've got a feeling it's the latter?

I'm pretty sure running vanilla, lost souls don't count to the final percentage at all. That's why speedrunners aren't required to kill them on max runs. On Zdoom, I know that they contribute to the final percentage as I've never gone over 100% on that port. That's probably because scripting commonly calls for spawning new monsters.

Boom... I want to say follows vanilla rules. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Lost souls:
- Counted as monsters in Doom
- Lost the COUNTKILL flag when Doom 2 was being prepared, because of the PE. (There is no difference between a map-placed LS and a PE-spit LS.)
- Got it back in ZDoom and probably some other ports.

In vanilla, the total is set at when the map is set up, and doesn't change. That's why monsters resurrected by archviles, or spawned by a boss cube or a PE (assuming they have the COUNTKILL flag), can allow you to get past 100% kills. It's work the same if through some dehacked trickery you got bonus items spawned during the game. Make a PE that spits megaspheres and you'll see. ZDoom differs from vanilla in that the total tallies (for monsters, secrets, items) is updated in real time. In ZDoom, whenever a monster is spawned, the monster total is increased (and likewise for bonus items and their own total).

A consequence is that since since Doom 2 LS don't count anymore, some people have used them decoratively (e.g., Mount Pain in TNT) and you can't kill them, preventing you from getting 100% kills in ZDoom unless you cheat.

Another thing: when the total is 0. 0/0 counts as 0% in vanilla, but 100% in ZDoom. I think that may be the only place where Boom differs from vanilla in this respect.

Few more pics. Progress has been spotty as every class just had tests, but should have a bit more time to work on it before finals take my life away again. About ... say, 40% done now.

Also I gave up on the sky thing, wasn't gonna work out without 3D floors -.-

I've got a question. If I capture Doom 3 screenshots, where can I post them? Here, because it's Doom, or in Everything Else, because it's not Classic Doom as the forum supername implies?

I'm sure he wants someone to see it too. :p

The thread isn't specific as far as I am concerned. If we were being specific between Doom Doom2 Doom3, then the same should apply for everything. Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Zdoom, Doomsday, EDGE, or if it's a standalone game like Harmony or AD2

@Armoredblood: That texture theme is looking more and more bad ass with each screenshot!

Chu, that doesnt even look like Doom anymore! And ArmoredBlood, that looks like Quake. I dont even know what to say about rf's stuff... there is some badass stuff in this thread

scalliano said:

We've even had Quake shots in this thread, so I would say go for it.

:D

ArmouredBlood said:

Big new area. Kind of a meh shot for now. Actually maybe 50-60% done now.

Looks good to me!

Makes no difference, I play in GZDoom with all texture filtering disabled - I like the "moire" look.