Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Doomsday is getting spit screen coop?! Sweet maybe I could possibly get my girlfriend to play coop with me once y'all update it(I use to play spit screen coop on Legacy with my stepbother years ago).

experiments experiments experiments

kristus said:

No offense intended but.
Generic generic generic.

Actually it doesn't look all THAT generic. I like it.

kristus said:

No offense intended but.
Generic generic generic.

What do you suggest?

kristus said:

No offense intended but.
Generic generic generic.

For all you know, that could be the corner of a magnificent monster-infested yard. I hope.

40oz said:

What do you suggest?

I don't know what Kristus would suggest, but personally, I'm noticing that all the base textures visible are a brownish-gray, meaning you could swap out basically any of them for each other or anything else that's brown or gray and it'd still look decent but not overly exciting. It looks alright as-is, but it's playing things very safe: you could potentially make it look far more interesting if you mixed in layers of other colors.

For usable base colors, Doom has tans, golds, greens, reds, blues if you're using something like the Simplicity palette, and even other colors (like the rusty lavenderish-gray of SLIME14 and SLIME15) that can be created by carefully mixing pixels of different color ranges together. Making use of more complex color combinations is riskier and can take more work to figure out how to arrange it to feel coherent, but the potential payoff is much greater.

Thanks Essel. I see what you're saying. I think I may do a bunch of moerate recolors of my existing textures and see if I can use them together.

GreyGhost said:

Not claiming ownership,

I'd say Doomguy is claiming ownership of that imp pretty well.

So if something is called generic, its because it doesn't use enough color variation. I just don't get this generic stuff. I personally think that there is nothing wrong with the screen 40oz posted.

After all, it never did Quake any harm. Quake has a palette of 2 colours: brown and browner.

Try painting the sunken plating holding the floor light cases fluorescent yellow. And those diamond-tiled semi-columns shall have a red gradient raising up.

40oz said:

What do you suggest?

I don't see the logic for one kind of brick wall to be interrupted by another entirely different type of brick wall. And I'd lose the gray trims as well. There's only like 24 units in length left of the _brick wall_ after the trim, on the outer sides.

Lookin' good, rf', but I don't care for that red landscape texture :p

40oz said:

experiments experiments experiments

I like it.

I'm just playing around with my new textures. I definitely need some alternatives to that monk statue.

esselfortium said:

Because...

Well what's up with that?

DOOM in motion is much more attractive to look at than in screenshots.

Not like it's that hard to make a GIF, either.

40oz said:

Because we also have this thread too.

Oh god, could you please explain to me how to record Chocolate Doom?

I've tried both Fraps and Camtasia and they fail horribly.

Also, it's harder to force YouTube videos onto an unwilling audience because they get to read the title before they click Play. With GIFs, that is not so.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Also, it's harder to force YouTube videos onto an unwilling audience because they get to read the title before they click Play. With GIFs, that is not so.

not only is this the worst reason ever you can work around that by not using the youtube tags in the first place. That way to see if it is interesting they'll have to click it first

40oz said:

I'm just playing around with my new textures. I definitely need some alternatives to that monk statue.

Replace them with rainbows for un-genericness

40oz said:

Looks great, I think it'd go pretty well with an Ultimate DooM E4 sky!

I don't know what you people are babbling about; 40oz's last screenshot looks cool, it reminds me of legendary wads like those from Richard Wiles. I hope the gameplay matches, for now it's only the screenshot. I wouldn't place stealth monsters there, yep they're a high engine feature, and yep they do ruin the game (this comes as a response to my otherwise pro-port opinion in the "limitations breed innovation" thread).