Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

StupidBunny said:

Replace them with rainbows for un-genericness

Unholy Temple of the Sparkledog. HEY THERES AN IDEA

40oz said:

I'm just playing around with my new textures. I definitely need some alternatives to that monk statue.

[img]...

Looks great.

Do those textures animate? i swear I've been wanting to make some wall textures that look like light reflecting off of rippling water for a while now. You stole my idea!

40oz said:

Do those textures animate? i swear I've been wanting to make some wall textures that look like light reflecting off of rippling water for a while now. You stole my idea!

Laz Rojas did it in Arctic Wolf years and years ago :)

40oz said:

they don't, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to animate them.

40oz said:

I was gonna try to make something like that as well, though I got the idea from DN3D :P

Foodles said:

I like this. Simple but good contrast.

The one with the star kinda looks silly. I don't think that face texture on the pillars really suits tiling in that fashion and the star kinda gives a playful air to it, the overall impression I get is more like a circus tent than a Doom map. A pentagram would suit a lot better.

Super Jamie said:

The one with the star kinda looks silly. I don't think that face texture on the pillars really suits tiling in that fashion and the star kinda gives a playful air to it, the overall impression I get is more like a circus tent than a Doom map. A pentagram would suit a lot better.

I see what you mean, now that I think about it, it does look like something off of Mario, chose a star because of the star in e1m8 but I think that I will change it thanks

esselfortium said:

now with a functional hanging ceiling fan.

"It's getting hot in here..." :P
Nice as always. I think you need me to playtest again :)

40oz said:

I'm just playing around with my new textures. I definitely need some alternatives to that monk statue.

i'd take the ultimate doom orange sky too. the textures are mostly metallic and rusty, they need a colorful counterpoint. you could replace the monk with an archvile which is sort of praying to hell. good work.

That's subjective, and both Doom 2 RSKY1 and Doom SKY4 work well there. Personally, I prefer RSKY1, because it looks stormy and makes less contrast than sun-burnt SKY4.

esselfortium said:

http://sl4.poned.com/screens/vapor/05.18.10/etrn1715.png

Work-in-progress scene from one of my Vaporware maps, now with a functional hanging ceiling fan.

It rotates?

ah, I thought when you said that that it might have been a polyobj between two layers of portals and that SoM had made the portal close to whatever flat the sector got whenever it doesn't fit with the other side. Instead of getting HOM.

That would have been totally awesome.

dutch devil said:

Something simple and classic.

Classic is good :D

esselfortium said:

Work-in-progress scene from one of my Vaporware maps, now with a functional hanging ceiling fan.

Thats an unusual large Ceiling fan you made there and I think it looks awesome!

Essel, your architecture, as usual, is impressive. It conveys a great sense of design and spacing. Nice work.

Here are a few screenies from level 07 of my little project. It is an abandoned warehousing/storage facility/Military complex/techbase type thing.

Sorry if a few of the screenies are a bit dark.

http://img263.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201005091.png/
Storage area

http://img64.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201005071.png/
Lift area

http://img34.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201005100.png/
Experimental tech

http://img85.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201005120.png/
Military outpost

Thanks Kyka!

I like the atmosphere in your first two shots, particularly the first one.

The third shot with all the step textures could use some rethinking, though, I'd say. The extremely tight grid of midtex to make a fake ceiling doesn't look nearly cool enough for how excessively taxing it is for the renderer to draw that many 2-sided lines, and the use of step textures on the floor and walls looks rather tacky IMO.

Is your project for Skulltag or ZDoom Kyka? I noticed that Skulltag Minigun in that first shot, so I was just curious.

Anyways, I agree with essel about the bridge and the step texture being used as a flat. It would probably look better if you could work in some sort of fancy design into the bridge midtextures instead of trying to make it look "solid" with a bazillion little square sectors. Saves you from potential performance issues and it would probably look a little better as well. Since it's for ZDoom, I wonder if that would be any way to hack together some sort of fake solid ceiling/floor for the bridge with stacked sectors or portals or maybe even transfer heights. Actually, probably scratch the transfer heights idea; I think I tried that a long time ago and it didn't really work :P

The other shots look great though! I've said it before but you really seem to like doing those intricate looking details. Generally whenever I try to do intricate looking stuff, it either looks horrible or it just gets in the way. Not to mention I don't seem to have the patience for that kind of detail work anymore. But you seem to be able to pull it off pretty well :)