Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

In defense of my picture, I bet you never would have guessed this!

esselfortium said:

The third shot with all the step textures could use some rethinking, though, I'd say. The extremely tight grid of midtex to make a fake ceiling doesn't look nearly cool enough for how excessively taxing it is for the renderer to draw that many 2-sided lines, and the use of step textures on the floor and walls looks rather tacky IMO.

On the up-side, the experimenting object looks very good.

Also, what age are you living in? Performance issues haven't been a concern since about 5 hardware generations ago.

gemini09 said:

On the up-side, the experimenting object looks very good.

Also, what age are you living in? Performance issues haven't been a concern since about 5 hardware generations ago.

Do you see how many segs are in view in that tiny space? (Hint: a fucking ton). At least 2 segs per each 2-sided line, and note that all the parts where they intersect results in new segs even if the lines themselves aren't split. It's an absurd number of lines for no actual benefit.

Drawing a lot of 2-sided lines in Doom's renderer is still slow on a brand new computer, because they're all overdraw.

Ah, I see. I've come to be so accustomed to GZDoom and hardware rendering, you see.

It's an awful lot - I agree with that... I remember doing one or two surfaces like that with the original doom executable, and followed the unwritten-rule of not over-doing it. For some reason, that right was reserved for the likes of Afterglow, hehehe...

Kyka said:

Essel, your architecture, as usual, is impressive. It conveys a great sense of design and spacing. Nice work.

Here are a few screenies from level 07 of my little project. It is an abandoned warehousing/storage facility/Military complex/techbase type thing.

Sorry if a few of the screenies are a bit dark.

http://img263.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201005091.png/
Storage area

http://img64.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201005071.png/
Lift area

http://img34.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201005100.png/
Experimental tech

http://img85.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201005120.png/
Military outpost

Looks awesome as always :)

As for people who are concerned about the amount of detail in Kyka's maps - don't be. His maps have far more detail than mine do, and they seem to run a thousand times better.

And, not only that, but the sort of incredibly fine detail you see is something he's kept consistant within the series of maps he's made so far. Essentially, he's taken the idea, that a confined, highly detailed map can't possibly play well, and, uh, made it play well. Really well.

Did I say I was really looking foward to your maps Kyka? :D

Oh my god, 40oz wins.

Not strictly Doom, but Doom related, I was playing with the idea of custom portraits in Sims 2 and:

Insane_Gazebo said:

As for people who are concerned about the amount of detail in Kyka's maps - don't be. His maps have far more detail than mine do, and they seem to run a thousand times better.

And, not only that, but the sort of incredibly fine detail you see is something he's kept consistant within the series of maps he's made so far. Essentially, he's taken the idea, that a confined, highly detailed map can't possibly play well, and, uh, made it play well. Really well.

Did I say I was really looking foward to your maps Kyka? :D

Yeah, when I was testing some of the early maps the only part that lagged was a large, dark arena with a ton of imps in it. There were just so many fireballs thrown at me skulltag couldn't take it -.-

Also, that's an awesome thing you did there ragnor ... and that sweatshirt isn't too bad either ;P Although your house needs some serious increase in lighting.

ArmouredBlood said:

Also, that's an awesome thing you did there ragnor ... and that sweatshirt isn't too bad either ;P Although your house needs some serious increase in lighting.

I need a good quality portrait of the Wolfenstein 3D cover art, as well as Doom 2's now :p And the lighting is deliberate, the only lighting will be candles. I'm trying to match Doom as much as I can for that house, I even have an underground cavern/dungeon.

GhostlyDeath said:

URL to WAD please! Thanks.

I uploaded it to idgames last night. It will be available for download soon.

Chaos and confusion in a new map of mine. Check WADs & Mods for more details.

I have no idea what overdrawn means, but Essel is correct. My computer is only a couple of years old and it does take a bit of a framerate hit everytime I look at that mega detailed crate (even when the crate is closed and you can't see the interior detailing itself). Thanks Essel for the comments btw.
@Dreadopp. Dude, thanks heaps, good to hear something from you. PM me with what has been going on. Hope stuff is good for u.

@InsaneGazebo Thanks for the comments dude. Much appreciated. Likewise too. Sunder is sooo unique. One of the things I really like about that mapset is you always have space to admire the scenery before getting pawned thoroughly owning!!!1! each new area. The gameplay, while brutal, still leaves you with breathing room between fights.

@Gemini09 and AB. thanks for the encouragement guys. Yaaay 4 me!!

@ducon. That AV screenshot is from probably my favorite add on level for Doom ever ever. Map 11 of AV is a stunning level.

Someone asked somewhere about my project, it is for ZDoom. I actually know virtually nothing about Skulltag. What is involved to make a ZDoom project compatible with Skulltag? I just took the Skulltag minigun and changed a few things, and it seems to run fine in ZDoom, tho I had to add bullet decals, and there is an unrecgonised command relating to "Puff" that I don't know how to fix.

@ Nuxius. How did you do that eye shot?? Surely not by hand..

@ Mr Chris. I like the classic look of that map.

Snakes said:

Glad to see work on UAC Ultra 2 has started, 40oz! :P

Did someone say UAC ULTRA 2 ?????

Super Jamie said:

However it'll probably look a bit better than 40oz latest creation :P

As far as I'm concerned, I really like FIREBLU. It definitely manages to look edgy and painful without being all red. The pulsing cold-hot animation helps.

printz said:

As far as I'm concerned, I really like FIREBLU. It definitely manages to look edgy and painful without being all red. The pulsing cold-hot animation helps.

So do I actually. As plausible as most other things are in Doom, FIREBLU can reall gives an other-worldly "What the fuck is THAT?" alienating feel to a place.

Plus Sandy uses it all the time, and he's awesome :P

Super Jamie said:

However it'll probably look a bit better than 40oz latest creation :P

whoa whoa whoa. let's not induce high expectations now

esselfortium said:

Fantasticable, even.

Perhaps fantasmagasical? Yea, I agree...great map shots! That weapon in the 2nd screenshot look pretty wicked as well. I don't recall seeing it until now.

Kyka said:

Someone asked somewhere about my project, it is for ZDoom. I actually know virtually nothing about Skulltag. What is involved to make a ZDoom project compatible with Skulltag? I just took the Skulltag minigun and changed a few things, and it seems to run fine in ZDoom, tho I had to add bullet decals, and there is an unrecgonised command relating to "Puff" that I don't know how to fix. [/i]

As far as I'm aware, if it works with the version of ZDoom that Skulltag is using (you'd have to check since I have no idea what it is) then it should work with Skulltag. Although I haven't done any Skulltag editing in a long time and I haven't kept up with it's changes, so I might be wrong. The easiest way to check is to try and run your stuff in Skulltag and see what happens.

dutch devil said:

I agree, fucking cacoward material there.

That's only if i can make the gameplay fun. Also, maps are a bitch. The first map feels more like a test map the way It's been cobbled together. I was testing out features I wanted to add. So far it works pretty good. It definitely doesn't quite play like doom anymore. The new enemies are real assholes. :D

Mechadon said:

Perhaps fantasmagasical? Yea, I agree...great map shots! That weapon in the 2nd screenshot look pretty wicked as well. I don't recall seeing it until now.

Its actually a secret 'support' weapon. It does very little actual damage, but its use is more for paralyzing enemies to provide some breathing room. (Different enemies are resistant or immune to it though. You'll be able to tell which ones by their colors). Blue is resistant to shock, green is resistant to plasma, etc.

New map I started a while ago. Mostly did this to experiment with certain architectural ideas I had, hoping that it might turn into a playable map along the way. (Several of my maps have started this way.)

I've decided I really don't like how it's turning out, visually. The layout isn't filling me with confidence either, so I'm deleting this one.

Have an idea that's going to use a very similar theme, but look a lot stronger. Hopefully the layout will be better too :)

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2543/sundermap13scrap.jpg