Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

40oz said:

All my maps usually start off this way.

You're not alone. I do any texturing right away only in case I'm using a new texture for which I need to check the sector heights in 3D mode. Other than that, blast away, layout first!

Jodwin said:

You're not alone. I do any texturing right away only in case I'm using a new texture for which I need to check the sector heights in 3D mode. Other than that, blast away, layout first!

Likewise, i texture as i map too. :p

bgraybr said:

Its the Zombieman Rifle, I think I saw it at realm667.

No, it's the submachine gun. Though anyway, all those state-of-the-art discarded alpha guns are quite popular these days.

As for the subtopic: I texture the areas immediately, because I need a hint to how the new rooms should look like. Eventually when I get more experience and momentum I might think about changing my ways.

Kyka said:

Having come across this issue once or twice, I usually just align it so it looks wrong in Doombuilder, but right in its intended sourceport.

Ok, I admit this doesn't fix the deeper problem, but it does make the level look right.

Just at a guess, those two textures look maybe 32 units out. I ain't counting pixels here.

Asked my friend if he knew what was wrong so he took the long way around and raised the outer sector which seems to have fixed the issue. Though he did say he never saw that glitch before.

Archvile78 said:

Asked my friend if he knew what was wrong so he took the long way around and raised the outer sector which seems to have fixed the issue. Though he did say he never saw that glitch before.

I have seen it a number of times in DB1, though not yet in DB2.

40oz said:
[url]http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2171/doom34.png[/[url]

All my maps usually start off this way. [/B]

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why Mr. 40oz is such a fast mapper.

I am going to try this method.

printz said:

No, it's the submachine gun. Though anyway, all those state-of-the-art discarded alpha guns are quite popular these days.

Cool, thanks. I think I will use it for my Wolfenstein map.

40oz said:

I used to be like that, from making so many maps I can already predict what textures I'm going to use where and design my architecture to accomodate that, so i just draw out the layout, do some detailing, change some floor and ceiling heights, then apply textures.

Then afterwards when the eye candy is done, I can focus on creating some good gameplay.

It's exactly how I work. I find this method faster as all is in my mind or on paper.

scalliano said:

No Rest For The Living (controversial perhaps, but stuff it, I bought the game).

Do you know if it is possible to obtain No Rest For The Living for PC?

If you have an xbox and bought it, you can extract it from there and transfer it on your PC. Eternity even has some code to let you load the Xbox image file directly, without having to rip the wad out of it first.

Archvile78 said:

The wall is obviously misaligned but, in Doom builder 2, in 3D mode, it show that its aligned, any way to fix the issue in game?

Try resetting the offsets to 0, and realigning it.

Not sure about this texture choice. One of my testers has said it several times that the texturing is 'ghastly'. It was Christoph's texturing (the comptextures wall) but I thought it was okay enough to be left alone when I was mapping around it (only changed the top and bottom borders). Any opinions?

I don't know about ghastly, but it's rather drab, and adding some prominent color highlights would probably help quite a bit. Maybe cut some nice, evenly spaced compblue (or perhaps yellow, or some aesthetically pleasing combination) terminals into the mid/lower walls, and rework the ceiling trim to accommodate some lights of a matching color?

esselfortium said:

I don't know about ghastly, but it's rather drab, and adding some prominent color highlights would probably help quite a bit. Maybe cut some nice, evenly spaced compblue (or perhaps yellow, or some aesthetically pleasing combination) terminals into the mid/lower walls, and rework the ceiling trim to accommodate some lights of a matching color?

Oh I ought to mention, after pressing the switch, the floor lowers revealing a room underneath the comptextures, so adding terminals or alcoves would certainly not be an easy feat. :P

Still, those are good thoughts.

I think you could put frames around the comp on the edges, some of them look pretty bad cut off the way they are. Support2 would give some contrast. Maybe have a separate texture in the middle 64 too. Possibly some METAL* or tekgrn* stuff. If it allows it, some translucent midtextures on those, though if it's what I think it is (map for PLR) you're going vanilla, so that's a no-go. The bricks look good, and the sky compliments them.

ArmouredBlood said:

I think you could put frames around the comp on the edges, some of them look pretty bad cut off the way they are. Support2 would give some contrast. Maybe have a separate texture in the middle 64 too. Possibly some METAL* or tekgrn* stuff. If it allows it, some translucent midtextures on those, though if it's what I think it is (map for PLR) you're going vanilla, so that's a no-go. The bricks look good, and the sky compliments them.

Actually, it's for Community Chest 4 :P.

I should've uploaded this picture as well, it might make a difference. Thanks for the ideas too. :-)

Too much COMP IMHO. It's not so bad in the first screenshot, but in the second the visual balance is uneven with the 192 unit COMP-block and then the 32-unit brick trim on top. I'd consider making the COMP-block be 128 units, possibly with something else between that and then have the brick trim, and then making the brick trim bigger (64 units?). Also do something about the COMP panels being cut off. I'd suggest physically layering them the same way the brick trim is done so that you could align each panel row separately.

I actually like the second shot quite a bit. Maybe use SLADWALL or BROWNGRN-based trim for the ceiling border, though; it'd match better than the bricks.

Also, you could totally still cut terminals into those walls, and have their floors (which could be at the same height as the other sectors, even, just with a higher ceiling) lower along with the rest. :P

I really like the second shot.

I was actually thinking exactly what essel has said for the insets, and I agree with his assessment of the brick borders, they could be something better.

But otherwise I like the shot.

I even still like the first shot before the floors have lowered, though perhaps it is a bit drab.

I don't really like the look of those bricks. They look out of place compared to the stock textures, SLADWALL or BROWNGRN will look better. To be honest I never liked those bricks at all.

Maybe have all the sectors on the floor at the same height, I think less borders would give that area a cleaner and less busy look.

I like everything texture-wise about how Joshy's cross-room looks in those screenshots: the shadow in the daylight, the excessive computer, the occult brick border, the reveal of the skull slads. They all in all give it a nice classic Doom look. If not of original Doom, then of golden age megawads.

I don't care about cut-off computers. Episode 1 is full of them. And I hardly ever look at them, because I'm busy against monsters and I don't really dispute that as unrealistic, because the realism line is all blurry after all.

Unfortunately now on to layout (as far as I see and imagine it): it looks too square, orthogonal and plain. It's a simple four-way hallway-room that reveals four identical closets with goodies and baddies. Probably all those closets lead to four doors. I hope such doors aren't blue, yellow, red and free.

I think the layout for that area is alright, if not fantastic. Here's a screenie of the map's layout (which was before I detailed it more just recently):

The area that the screenies show is right on top.

Thanks for the comments people, I'll have to experiment with your suggestions and see how it comes out.

Joshy said:

I think the layout for that area is alright,

Then seeing that room was like confusing with a simple worm the tentacle of a buried monster.

When is this coming? I'm actually working on something like that, impressive shot :).