Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

@vaporizer: that level shot reminded me for some reason strain and eternal doom III map01... whatever looking forward for it..

I don't like the perpends above the door. It looks goofy. Such a structure would have a metal bar as a support... You should probably use a STAR* or metallic texture instead.

Changed bullet puffs into plasma impact sprites (chainsaw, shotgun and ssg sprites will be changed later):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I did this mainly just for the dagger weapon, though it looks quite cool on other weapons too...

That looks way cool. Kind of brutalistic, which is very cool.

Malinku: nice architecture in that first shot..!

InsanityBringer: looks nice! I would change the light-brown textures (including the steps). I don't think the colors match, nor do the "materials". The white texture has a clean and sterile look, but the brown texture has an aged quality to it.

I was messing with sprite-size scaling, and experimented to this:

It's from Xmas Doom 2009-two-thousand-and-x, and this wonderful project is looking for the help of graphics-artist. Don't hesitate..!

Latest Mocha Doom screenshots. I kept the "demon mutiles" effect in just for kicks.

What the screenshots can't convey is that as of two days ago, Mocha Doom is roamable -not really playable- with the standard controls, monsters are placed but inactive, ambient animation and sector lighting effect works, even damaging floors and cheats work ;-)

There are a lot of broken things, still, but hey...

gemini09 said:

There's nothing funny about a 10-story tall demon chasing you. Only fun.

Holy shit that is awesome. Please tell me you're going to set up a combat situation where you fight a few of them at once.

DeathevokatioN said:

Holy shit that is awesome. Please tell me you're going to set up a combat situation where you fight a few of them at once.

Are you kidding? That kind of monster can outrun you as you straferun...

PINK!

Maybe a little too pink :P. I'm just screwing around with the color palette for Supplice. Unfortunately this shade doesn't fare very well in darker areas as you can see from the shot :(

In my experience, new Doom palettes sometimes require you to create sprite recolors and modifications to look good.

Yea I've already run into an issue that will require such a fix. Specifically there's a yellow-to-red color range I used in Claus1024 (which I shamelessly stole from rf's Mapgame palette). However the white color that's replaced with yellow is used in a couple of sprites where the change is really noticeable. The Imp gets a golden tooth and the player's plasma also gets a few yellow bits in it (there are probably a couple of other areas where this happens). I had to hack the COLORMAP in Claus1024 so it wouldn't be as noticeable, but that's not the most ideal fix. For the pink range I'm messing with, it messes with a couple of pixels on a particular frame of the HUD head sprite (you can't see it in the screenshot) and it makes the Doomguy look like he has a cold :P.

I'm not really sure what I'll end up doing with this pink range in the end in order to make it mesh well with the rest of the colors. I had a pretty nice redder range which made things look really evil at fullbright. But once the light levels changed, it got palette raped by browns and whatnot. It's mostly just experimentation right now though.

earth base, again.

Oh well, simply a layout of map08. I think to use a streets of rage 3 BGM for this map...

A fancy welcome, and delicious marine bbq cooked from arch-vile (MAP03)

some screenshots from map04, the e2 section

map05, actually the starship starting section and exit room

This is the second secret level, inspired upon the series came out from my avatar...

Maes said:

Latest Mocha Doom screenshots. I kept the "demon mutiles" effect in just for kicks.
What the screenshots can't convey is that as of two days ago, Mocha Doom is roamable -not really playable- with the standard controls, monsters are placed but inactive, ambient animation and sector lighting effect works, even damaging floors and cheats work ;-)

There are a lot of broken things, still, but hey...

I couldn't imagine doing that in Java. You got some mad skills.

Would Mochadoom eventually be able to be branched off into something like Quake Live, I wonder?

Nomad said:

Would Mochadoom eventually be able to be branched off into something like Quake Live, I wonder?

Not in my priorities, since it will require changing the way external I/O is performed.

As it's now, it's clearly a desktop application and requires random disk I/O just like any other source port. As I found out the hard way, using local filesystem accesses in Java applets causes fatal crashes in most browsers, that can't even be debugged.

I will have to change the way disk I/O is performed (probably by using input streams instead of random disk file accesses) before making it into an applet (incidentally, Jake 2 is a desktop-only Java application, probably for the same reasons), unless the next generation of Java applets goes around that limitation. Simulating random file access with network streams isn't exactly in my priorities :-p

Mechadon said:

PINK!

I hope that the washed-out blue in the numbers is not the same blue that's been used in ZPack and many other wads, apeing (if I'm not wrong) Simplicity...

InsanityBringer said:

Boom-compat map. Liking the way it's coming out so far.

Hey man, it just looks so sweet. Want a playtest?

Anyway, then. In April, I was working on a startoff-failure 108-map GigaWAD project, called "The Great Journey to Prevent World End". Even though I didn't get past 4 maps due to suckin Slumped messing up my PNAMES file with some stupid characters - I've kept in this, on the early-made MAP10:

The story: I wasn't a member of DoomWorld that time and I didn't know anyone from closer either. Paul Corfiatis was the only one I respected because of WADs such as 2002ADO, Simply Phobos and the DT trilogy. Stone cold crazy shower it was when I realised that quality mappers don't consist of only PCorf and his community partners (Kristian Aro and the others participated in 2002ADO), and I began to feel ashamed. I was planning to do some other monuments, but then, the bug with Slumped came up and Greatjourney was stopped for unlimited time.

The SLumpEd bug is not a SLumpEd bug; it's an XWE+SLumpEd teamwork screwup.

Basically, in C and C++, strings are terminated by a null character (0). In Pascal and Delphi, there is no explicit "stop here" character, so they go on for their full length. Doom is written in C, SLumpEd in C++, and XWE in Delphi.

Let's say you have an eight-letter string. In C, you'll need a nine-character buffer to store it: the eight letters themselves, and a ninth for the terminating null.

Okay, so in the PNAMES lump, you have fields for storing names. They have fixed length so they use only eight bytes, when reading them with a C program you'll load all eight characters in the buffer and then manually add a 0 in the ninth place. So what happens if the name is only, say, four characters? Like "DIRT". You'll have five characters that matter: D, I, R, T and \0. Remain three characters that can pretty much be anything, it doesn't matter, they'll be ignored because of the preceeding zero.

Now here comes XWE. It loads the full string of eight characters. Then it notices that there are non-existing character 0 in the middle. Since Delphi isn't written for null-terminating strings, it'll assume that this is just a separator between words and will replace them by spaces (\20, that is to say, a decimal value of 32). The garbage characters that were after it are now an official integral part of the name.

Anyway, SLADE3, which is the successor to SLumpEd, now makes sure to fill with zeroes all the characters in the buffer that come after the first zero encountered, so that the XWE combo bug will not happen anymore.

By the way, you can fix your PNAMES lump rather easily by exporting it directly to a file (call it pnames.lmp) and editing it in a hex editor to replace with zeroes every weird character that trail after the patch's name. Then you can save and reimport.

Yes, it runs NUTS.WAD ;-)

In case you wonder, yes, you can walk around, it's still pretty fast, and as you can see from the top-right screenshot, you can even pick stuff up (I was actually surprised to see an invulnerability effect very similar to ZDoom's/PrBoom's rather than a vanilla one, especially since I didn't code it that way :-S )

These screenshots are from my latest Mocha Doom builds. It's able to work with all standard IWADs, and of course load all vanilla PWADs (no Boom features yet). As you can guess, it has some limit removing features thrown in (dynamically resizable arrays for e.g. visplanes, I just increased the limit for vissprites but it will follow suit), and a parallel wall/floor renderer. As I keep working with it, I realize what a hack-friendly platform it is, which will hopefully bring more people to Doom source porting, especially those without solid C/C++ backgrounds.

I brushed up the sprites code (thank you Mr. Killough!) and enabled fast vissprites sorting using Java's Comparable interface and built-in modified mergesort, which worked pretty nicely. Another interesting thing I discovered is how it's relatively easy to adapt Boom/ZDoom code for it once I got past the first, painful C -> Java transition step.

Maes said:

I was actually surprised to see an invulnerability effect very similar to ZDoom's/PrBoom's rather than a vanilla one, especially since I didn't code it that way :-S

Nuts.wad includes a modified colormap that changes the invulnerability effect. So unless a port ignores the colormap for this purpose, this effect will be applied.

Actually, Nuts was one of the wads that led to Prboom-plus applying custom colormaps for invulnerability even in GL mode. link